What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing soapy made this week. Mostly packaging soaps off the cure rack and getting ready for a show on Saturday.

Next week's plans are to do a charcoal & tea tree, and random small batches to clean out the 2oz FO bottles I've been hoarding. Maybe take a couple stabs at the strong arm/mustache swirl. My soapy friend and I are trying to figure it out, and I've gotten to a point where I can get it in the middle bars of my 12" mold. I want to move up to trying it in my 24" mold to see if I can get the swirl through more bars. I'm suspecting that height of the pour and speed play a part of getting the swirl, which makes sense that I'm not getting it through the end bars where I slow down the pour to prepare to stop, so a longer mold might be key. I'm nervous about a high pour with 4lbs of oil, so I might try pouring on a step ladder instead of holding the bowl above my head level... yeah, that would probably be safer for clumsy me.

Sorry for rambling... I'm nervous about my show. New area, new organizer, supposed to be a large event, and lots of misc little things that I have to do yet. I think I've typed out something here 6 times and my brain has taken it into a galaxy of odd ramblings. Oh! That reminds me, I should figure out my soap challenge entry and do that next week too....

My first post . I made whipping cream soap a couple of days ago and right from the get go it was not turning out to be a stellar day. I found my recipe, did my lye calc, as I was doubling my original recipe, then proceded to get my lye solution going. Then started measuring all my oils. Oh hum, I did not have near enough sweet almond oil, so after much fiddling around with the lye calc., gave up trying to match what I had brewing and added canola oil to make up the difference. Next Oh hum, was adding my frozen whipping cream to the warmed oils, again not near enough and do not live near any grocery stores, so I thought what the heck I'll used canned coconut milk, mainly the solid part. I then added the lye solution got it to light trace and added some powered oatmeal and FO. It was aĺl working just fine, poured it into my loaf box and had enough left over for some cupcakes. I put it into the freezer for 4 hours and then left it out overnight and half the next day. When I cut it into bars it had gone through a partial gel, not pretty! I'm pretty new at this so I am learning as I go along. It would be really smart for me to actually measure everything out before beginning, light bulb moment! I know milk products cause acceleration and thought freezing would solve that problem, perhaps I should have left it in the freezer longer or maybe I should have hot processed it, something I have not yet done. Any advice? I'm also a bit worried that my lye solution was perhaps too much, is there anyway to check soap for left over lye?

Attachments

• 15283945122252136925266.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 11
@amd I have a bunch of 1-2 oz samples I should just toss all together and see what comes out ;)
With my luck it would be Stellar and I wouldn't be able to redo it. Some of these testers are not longer made and some companies gone too. I hate to just toss them.

I think tonight i will do that.

@Lin19687 I usually buy FO's in 2oz bottles until I see how well they soap/sell. I was fragrancing at .5oz PPO, but at the beginning of this year I bumped up to 1oz PPO. Now I have all these 2oz bottles that have .5-1.0 oz. Oh, and I did pick up a bunch of 1oz sample bottles from BCN. The bottles that have less than a full oz will probably get used for bubble scoops... but there's a lot of 4-bar batches in my future! Let's hope I sell a bunch of soap so that I can justify having 60 something different soaps. Plus I have 40-ish 2oz bottles that I have never used. I'm to the point now where I have filled both of the drawers I have designated and I'm creeping over to the shelves and back end of the work table. It's actually started to cause me stress. Hi, my name is Sherry and I'm a FO ho...

LOL, I got all these littl'ins from someone that was clearing out their stuff. Some I don't like some I do.
I like the Bubble scoop idea.

No soapy today but may get ready for some tomorrow.

I finally made my cinnamon scrub soap for my coworker. I didn't take good notes last time but I remember that I had to HP it. I think this is why. It looks like oil is pooling. I hope it's just gel phase and not separation because not all of the bars are doing it.
IMG_20180608_184814.jpeg

I'm rebatching those cinnamon scrub bars and making a note this time to just HP the batch next time. Or maybe I'll try adding the pumice before I pour into the molds instead of adding it to my oils. If I remember, this recipe did the same thing the first time I made it.

Word of advice, it those are edible candies check with the market owner/manager and make sure you can sell them? I understand you are not selling the candy directly, but you are including them. Here we cannot sell any type of food item or even include in a basket without all the permits for selling pre-packaged food items. We can have a jar of candy-canes, candy etc to give away as long as it is not included with a for sale item. Better safe than sorry.

The cupcakes are cute and you could always add on a small m&p soap on top

made some M&P with my son.

we did one in an aeroplane mould, I was surprised this unmoulded in one piece as its was a rigid plastic bath bomb mould.

We then did 4 layers in a loaf mould. We used micas for the transparent layers but used too much as they came out a solid colour.

First attempt. I was shocked that I got the layers to hold together, son is well chuffed with them and already deciding who he is going to give them away to!

EDIT: sorry everyone just seen this is in the lye based section so above is not relevant. Is there a way I can delete a post?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back