What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to create a new packaging for my soaps. I have been wrapping them in light fabrics, but now that I've made esthetically pleasing soaps I kinda want to show them off.

Great find

Our neighborhood is having their annual community garage sale today and I found one of these while taking out dog Bodhi for his morning walk. I already have two single units with deeper drawers and had no trouble filling them, so this will probably hold more soaping supplies. Since I don't need all the drawers, but could use some height, I figure I can take out some of the drawer to give more more vertical space. The best part is that it looks brand new and was only $15.

cart double colored drawers.jpg

Penguin, not sure if the pistachio is something you really like or is just a one-off, but Gemlite has a very well-rated, inexpensive pistachio FO. I don't really like foodie smells but ordered it in a sample pack and was curious, OOB it smells exactly like pistachio.

I'm making a batch of pomegranate plum cp soap. Actually at the moment I'm waiting for the lye water to cool down and then I'll make my soap.

I made a mens soap using cream, black and brown. Unfortunately the soap gremlins, or should I say fragrance gremlins hit. The batter thickened really quick when the FO was added so I had to work quick and plop the soap in! The cream is now a patchy pinky purple where it partial gelled, which doesn't match the men's scent! It looked so lovely when initially cut! :sad: FO's are pretty new to me, so it was a bit of a shock.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much NFrame, I tend to look at the errors too much sometimes! We are our own worst critics. I think you're pretty talented too, your soap from the swap was really beautiful!

I tried to make my mini dessert soaps for this months soap challenge. Many firsts for me - first time using a food product in soap ( coconut milk), first time piping soap (or piping anything for that matter!), first time venturing out of a loaf or slab mould...my kitchen is chaos but I'm quite happy to have pushed myself to try this!

Modified my hand made hanger tool

I made a basic hanger tool a couple of months ago using an old, bit thicker than current hangers, hanger and it worked fine; but I wanted to have something thicker so the swirls wouldn't be so close.
Then I found this polyethylene tubing in Lowe's hardware and I just slightly unbent the hanger tool, just enough so I could slip this tubing over it and then re-bent it back in shape. This one is for my two pound mold and now I want to make one for my one pound mold.
I've also been printing out my soap calc recipe sheets this week and getting them protective plasticsheets and into a 3 ring binder. Some time this week, after I get more of this spring veggie planting done I want to try out some of these new base recipes. I really miss soaping!

Yesterday I found one of the great garage sale finds - what looks like a brand new storage, double storage cart for $15. It looks just like this one which is said by some sellers to retail for over $100. I am sure I will find things to store in this! The drawers are not as deep as the two I bought recently, but I figure that there are so many of them I can easily remove some to create more head room for taller things.

hanger swirl.jpg

cart double colored drawers.jpg

Wow, you got a great deal on that rainbow cart...way to go! We have a spare single storage cart (non-rainbow) at our work that I have been thinking about taking home...I don't know what I would put in it yet, but like you, I'm sure I can find something. I've been thinking about using it for colorants, but I don't have that many! :)

Thanks everyone for saying the soap is lovely, it makes me feel much better about it. It was such a surprise to find I had lines at all rather than blobs. I did intend a few more lines but it was too thick!

I made a basic hanger tool a couple of months ago using an old, bit thicker than current hangers, hanger and it worked fine; but I wanted to have something thicker so the swirls wouldn't be so close.
Then I found this polyethylene tubing in Lowe's hardware and I just slightly unbent the hanger tool, just enough so I could slip this tubing over it and then re-bent it back in shape. This one is for my two pound mold and now I want to make one for my one pound mold.
I've also been printing out my soap calc recipe sheets this week and getting them protective plasticsheets and into a 3 ring binder. Some time this week, after I get more of this spring veggie planting done I want to try out some of these new base recipes. I really miss soaping!

Yesterday I found one of the great garage sale finds - what looks like a brand new storage, double storage cart for $15. It looks just like this one which is said by some sellers to retail for over $100. I am sure I will find things to store in this! The drawers are not as deep as the two I bought recently, but I figure that there are so many of them I can easily remove some to create more head room for taller things.

I love your idea for the polythene tubing, I can't wait to try it. Great cart too!

Last week I rearranged all of my soap supplies to be more organized and purchased quite a few soap making supplies including 50lbs RSPO palm, 28 lbs OO, 1 lb Castor, 1 lb Avocado, 3 lbs shea and a few fragrances. Today it all came in! Gonna start on my holiday soaps! I also planned what I will be doing for the soap challenge!

It was a cold, rainy day so I decided to try 100% goat milk soap scented with Rose Garden by WSP and colored with rose kaolin clay. 3 oils and 3 butters and an in-the-pot swirl attempt - hope this one turns out!!!

IMG_0454.JPG

Latest posts

Back