What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ dillsandwitch.... I am sad that your baby also has these issues, but I am a bit comforted to know mine isn't the only one. Packing him to the car was a chore when he was pre-sedated!

On the soapy side, I made a lavender soap in a 4 lb mold my fella made me using a spoon plop technique. I always get super excited to be able to cut them and see what they turned out to look like!

Labeled 50 jars of sugar scrub last night. Sugar scrub seems to sell like hotcakes year round. Impatiently waiting for my Bud Cutter. It went from Carthage, Missouri and is now in Iowa....It was in Springfield Missouri two days ago. The rate it's moving it won't be here till the end of next week.

Are the routes shipping companies use not the craziest thing? Why go all the way to Iowa when it would be more direct to come thru Indiana...

Are the routes shipping companies use not the craziest thing? Why go all the way to Iowa when it would be more direct to come thru Indiana...

Exactly my point. Idiots....and USPS wonders why they aren't doing well. Heck, I should have had it shipped to my daughter who lives an hour from Springfield. It would have gotten to me quicker.

My USPS also wants to charge me Priority Mail for everything, even when it clearly weighs under 13 ounces. Maybe I am missing something? But like, I mailed a lip balm to a friend of mine, it was shielded but not awkward, and I know you guys would have had to have seen the package, but basically a pretty tiny box, and I was told it would be better to pay 6 bucks and send it priority mail. Now if I were selling them, people arent going to pay 6$ shipping on a...say, 2$ lip balm....

yikes...I've sent lots of things(plants & seeds) by priority shipping according to their weight. most was not $6.00. the mailman is lying to you.

I have certainly had that impression, especially since the website clearly states that things under 13 ounces can go NOT priority mail. I've argued with them about it on more than one occasion. There is another USPS office just across the river that I am going to try.

I'm making soap this weekend. Will just wait to cut it when my soap cutter gets here. Going to be painful waiting though. It's like Christmas when I cut my soaps. I have 8 batches on my list.

I ordered something from ebay that came from Indiana. Somehow, it went to Atlanta, Memphis and then to me in Missouri...lol

I finally got my sodium citrate (we have hard water at the new house), and DH is out of town until tomorrow, so I whipped up a relatively large batch for me. Unfortunately, I ended up mixing so much to get the micas mixed that I didn't get the pour I was looking for. It might end up looking hideous, but it smells nice at least - Almond Biscotti :) I'm considering doing an HP oatmeal, GM, and honey batch this evening after I finish with gardening and goats.
20150509_112247.jpg

20150509_112335.jpg

I just cut my not-as-intended soap. It wasn't what I was going for, but it doesn't look bad. The purple layers didn't spread out at all since I had to stir that one longer to mix the mica, but it's kind of a cool look.
20150510_152304.jpg

I am ploughing away at the mini dessert soap challenge. Everything is such a faff, having to do little bits here and there of different things.

Started reorganizing my soaping storage room. Getting ready for my daughter and grand babies to visit while dad is in a training class for his job in the Marines. Need to fit an air mattress for them to have somewhere to sleep.

On Mother's Day I took the time to try a new design technique I have never done before. It took FOREVER to get this into the mold, but I am sure that the effort will all be worth it! It's Soaping 101's design and here's a picture of the finished product before I covered it and put it to bed.

IMG_0522.JPG

Anyone want to help me troubleshoot what went wrong here? This was supposed to be a Taiwan Swirl. The side by side layers Went in o.k. I used Sweet Pea Fo and want a pretty feminine Taiwan swirl with these colors.
The batch was a little thicker than when I normally pour. The FO riced on me so I had to stir to get the ricing out but it was still pourable and when I did the swirl it cam out ok on the top.
Now I just have this light pink, white and dark pink, striped soap. On the upside just judging from the hand wash I did yesterday I couldn't be happier with my recipe, it is the smoothest best feeling soap I have ever made. I resisted Lard at first, assuming that because it is cheaper it wouldn't be that great. I am eating those words.
Back to the soap, do you guys think it was to thick? I used a chopstick all the way down and back an forth.
Recipe Total 65 oz
50% LARD
15% COCONUT
20% OLIVE OIL
5% CASTOR
10% ShEA
4 Tablespoons of Kaolin Clay
Full Water.
Sorry that was supposed to be a MANTRA swirl, not Tiawon!

CAM00253 tiawan fail.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back