What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to make my mini dessert soaps for this months soap challenge. Many firsts for me - first time using a food product in soap ( coconut milk), first time piping soap (or piping anything for that matter!), first time venturing out of a loaf or slab mould...my kitchen is chaos but I'm quite happy to have pushed myself to try this!

I'm so excited for you! I haven't been brave enough to give this a try yet. Still stuck on the fact I have to make 4 different soap designs. Can't wait to see what you came up with!!!

Melted all my cocoa butter and poured into every small mold I have and in a thin layer in every big one, so I have small amounts that I can easily add to my recipe without having to stab and mutilate the nigh-well indestructible chunk it came in. Made a huge mess.

You made out so well with the double rainbow cart! I have two of the individual ones and they were way more than $15. The drawers are not good for storing soap though. The soap is too heavy and pulls the drawers off the runners, but it's great for storing lighter things. Jealous!

Ice Tray Mold and Mica From China Test

A couple months ago I got a 1 pound Mica Tester From an FDA approved company in China.
The Colors Where For my Custom Lipstick which worked beautifully.
However I wanted to test there MORPHING in LYE

The Mold where from: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/jumbo-red-silicone-ice-cube-tray/s212970

See Below for the Picture. I used my Slow trace recipe in these. NO PKO Or Palm

The Cups are my Resin Measuring cups. because each cubicle hold 3.5 ounce more like 3 ounce .. :)

So far no Morphing when i mixed the LYE... I worked the oils and lye at room temp with Chocolate scent from WSP.

20150503_201642.jpg

20150503_202656.jpg

20150503_203621.jpg

20150503_224623.jpg

@Rowan or anyone else who may know-That bottom part of your soap that looks like granite, how do you get that look? My family owns a monument company and I would love to be able to make a granite Tombstone soap. Preferably gray. I am guessing that is coffee grounds? If it is can you make it without it smelling like coffee. I think poppy seeds would be to harsh on the skin. I have a gray color for the background. I just need ideas for a brown or black speckle throughout.

I used coffee grounds, but diluted them in boiling water a few times as I didn't want the batter too dark. A granite soap sounds lovely. You'll definetely have to post photos!

Coffee grounds can still be a little scratchy for me but my husband loves it. Someone on the forum mentioned that turkish ground coffee is the finest. I tend to blast mine through the bullet if I want them finer. Just to add there is no coffee smell in the final soap, it doesn't survive the lye process.

Made a butt ugly soap, I think. Just poured so no idea how it will come out, but the color combo was not good and had to plop it it in. Will just be happy if it does not zap and feels good.

Sometimes these work out the best. I felt really down when I made my mens soap and thought it would be a disaster and was really surprised when I cut it. The pink doesn't work but it's not as bad as I expected. Good luck with yours. As the English say, "fingers crossed".

I'm having soapers' block...
In the last week, I've gotten 10 new scents to try. An order of 6 oxide pigments. A package of the titanium dioxide I really like. 8 micas in colors I don't normally get. Hubby finished a new mold for me this weekend...
I can't think of anything to do. I've been browsing soap pics since last week, and I got nothin'...lol... Just a blank... So sad :-(

What type of mould, log or slab?

I say DNA swirl if slab and hidden feather if log

No soaping for me until at least June as I have an accountancy exam on the 5th June

What type of mould, log or slab?

I say DNA swirl if slab and hidden feather if log

No soaping for me until at least June as I have an accountancy exam on the 5th June

He made me a slab mold... I had hoped to use it the first time to do a red, white and blue swirl of some sort, but I'd really be cutting it close...
I haven't done a DNA swirl in a long time, thanks for the suggestion :)
And good luck with your exam!

Last edited:
I got lots of goodies in today, but all I had time to do was admire and smell them and put them away because the pit bull has to go to the vet tomorrow. He always has to be 100% sedated because he has panic attacks at the vet. So I had to take him shopping at Petsmart and get some things ready, go get his pre-sedatives, then find out I have to go all the way back across town to get some more things. So he has been an all day thing, and still needs his nails done and his bath.

Would like to finish the bath bomb cupcake bases I started last night but I am not sure his spoiled butt is going to allow it. This batch has a little sweet almond oil in the base and they feel amazing.

He always has to be 100% sedated because he has panic attacks at the vet.

My Rotti is exactly the same. And even then he tries to impersonate a lion. Although the last 2 trips he's gone hes been really good. even let the vet listen to his chest with the stethoscope. He'll be 6 in a couple of months and no vet ever before these 2 trips has been able to even get a stethoscope near his chest. Maybe hes mellowing as he gets older. :D

Very disappointed with today's soap. Used Pink Sugar and hoped a dark grey mica would cover the fragrance oil discolouration of soap. It didn't. Instead it went an awful baby poop green/brown colour. Thankfully it still smells divine so I'll keep it for myself and try again with a different design and colour palate.
Soapsupplies.net has a wonderful Pink Sugar that only goes to a light tan color which is very easy to work with. I split off the batter and pour all the fo in the base color then do a pink and white swirl. Comes out quite nice

I'm waiting on my order to do a soapy thing, going to make a blueberry 4th of july soap, don't have all the oils for my recipe so I'm waiting for them to get here. Oh & I'm also waiting on the brick red mica. Last night I cleaned up my previous soaping mess, scraping the soap out of it, & washing the bowl, measuring cups, & spatulas.

Labeled 50 jars of sugar scrub last night. Sugar scrub seems to sell like hotcakes year round. Impatiently waiting for my Bud Cutter. It went from Carthage, Missouri and is now in Iowa....It was in Springfield Missouri two days ago. The rate it's moving it won't be here till the end of next week.

Back