Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for orchard drying racks. I was gifted one for my birthday last year. It holds a lot of soap!

I tested FOs today - Nag Champa, Dragons Blood and Sensual - all from MMS. My house smells like a head shop and I think I’m going to need to open windows soon. I used a lard/tallow recipe to help avoid trouble, but didn’t have any. I expected the DB to start getting dark right away, but a few hours later it doesn’t look discolored at all.
I’ve looked at the orchard racks several times. They’re a bit pricy for me for right now. But, I may just wait and get them when I can.

Dawni

Reaction score
@Dawni
I’d buy a curing shelf like that if he’s selling them! Great looking shelf!!!
Right? If you were closer I'd send you over to him lol but I'm very sure there are a lot more options for racks where you are. I looked forever before I found someone who was willing to make this, and he was 2 hours away lol

Not quite soapy thing:
IMG_20201130_104548.jpg
People have started ordering gifts - I suspect for office colleagues, coz Christmas parties at work start as early as first week December - and the mini lotion bars are the popular choice coz they're affordable even if you buy double digits. I made 18 balms last night as well.

rdc1978

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made lotion bars using a "poor mans" double boiler that I've used in the past to successfully make lotion bars. I put my ingredients in a glass mason jar, put the mason jar in a pot of water and heat/boil the water. Everything was looking good and melted, but when I went to lift the mason jar out the bottom broke off and all the melted oils and butters went into my water. BUMMER!

I didn't have another mason jar, and I don't have a double broiler, so I just decided to use the pot to melt the oils directly. I'm not sure why I couldn't do that in the first place, because it seemed to work out....okay. I just put the lotion in freezer and I'll see if they turn out okay.

Also, this weekend, I must have shrink wrapped like.....a million soap bars. And I'm not even exaggerating. LOL.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I unmolded and cut my slab mold batch from last night. I am much happier using my own recipe than experimenting with a new recipe like i did with the last batch.

Which also prompted me to order a planer lol. I ordered the one that @Todd Ziegler mentioned on a previous post that i dug up.

I shrink wrapped a ton of soap today...and i am still going. I am in love with my new sealer now that i got it figured out. It is making a huge difference in my packaging. I even unwrapped a bunch of soap that i shrink wrapped without a sealer...i cant even believe that i thought they looked good lol.

Getting ready to wrap a loaf that somebody pre-ordered from me for xmas gifts. I told her that i would keep them curing for as long as possible. 10 weeks and now i feel like she should start paying me rent for them lol. Out the door they go this week.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made lotion bars using a "poor mans" double boiler that I've used in the past to successfully make lotion bars. I put my ingredients in a glass mason jar, put the mason jar in a pot of water and heat/boil the water. Everything was looking good and melted, but when I went to lift the mason jar out the bottom broke off and all the melted oils and butters went into my water. BUMMER!

I didn't have another mason jar, and I don't have a double broiler, so I just decided to use the pot to melt the oils directly. I'm not sure why I couldn't do that in the first place, because it seemed to work out....okay. I just put the lotion in freezer and I'll see if they turn out okay.

Also, this weekend, I must have shrink wrapped like.....a million soap bars. And I'm not even exaggerating. LOL.
Instead of using a mason jar for melting, try using a smaller pan in a larger pan, with the water in the larger pan. I don't have a "proper" double boiler either and that's what I do. OR I use a Pyrex measuring cup but put a paper towel or a dish cloth down in the pan with the water to absorb the vibration from the bubbles.

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I made a CP w/ confetti its two tone in color' not happy the the white half w/ confetti turning light brown, on a positive soap smells good, no glycerin rivers or soda ash. I ordered a sealer & heat gun i'm so excited to get them started redesigning labels so I can try out my new tools when they arrive.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not soap, but I made a new batch of my face oil yesterday. It’s a formula I’ve been working on for years. I haven’t made it in awhile because the initial investment is a bit high. But, one of my customers is such a huge fan that she pre paid for 6 bottles, and with the addition of that I was able to get what I needed. I did tons of research and got even better quality ingredients at better prices. Same formula, but with different sourced ingredients, and it’s crazy how different it is! It’s so super good!!! I really excited about it!!!
And, it didn’t feel right to try and make it on my old janky countertop. My new stainless steel felt clean and much more professional.
It was such a big investment, and I wanted it to turn out really well that I was super nervous. But, all the planning paid off.
Anyway, not soap, back to soap today!

Attachments

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not soap, but I made a new batch of my face oil yesterday. It’s a formula I’ve been working on for years. I haven’t made it in awhile because the initial investment is a bit high. But, one of my customers is such a huge fan that she pre paid for 6 bottles, and with the addition of that I was able to get what I needed. I did tons of research and got even better quality ingredients at better prices. Same formula, but with different sourced ingredients, and it’s crazy how different it is! It’s so super good!!! I really excited about it!!!
And, it didn’t feel right to try and make it on my old janky countertop. My new stainless steel felt clean and much more professional.
It was such a big investment, and I wanted it to turn out really well that I was super nervous. But, all the planning paid off.
Anyway, not soap, back to soap today!
Your new SS top is beautiful' as is your workspace' awesome! Love how your soap is packaged as-well. Your oil sounds fantastic. 💫💞

Dawni

Reaction score
Started prepping to label a bulk order for lotion balms again. By hand. 65 pieces.

Dies

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this whole hand writing thing lol but as long as I'm not rushing I enjoy doing it.

Christmas boxes I posted here some weeks back are almost sold out! So awesome. So now I have to label those too. Lol

Maybe I can get someone to make me a font instead. Dawni's font? Dawn to Earth font?Eh?
IMG_20201202_021433.jpg

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
Started prepping to label a bulk order for lotion balms again. By hand. 65 pieces.

Dies

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this whole hand writing thing lol but as long as I'm not rushing I enjoy doing it.

Christmas boxes I posted here some weeks back are almost sold out! So awesome. So now I have to label those too. Lol

Maybe I can get someone to make me a font instead. Dawni's font? Dawn to Earth font?Eh?
Wow. That is a work of love 💕.

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
I made one of my regular soaps today to be ready for after Christmas when people no longer want my Christmas themed soaps.
BUT, the most important thing I completed today was my website. It took forever and I am still a little nervous about going live. I switched off maintenance mode and just sat staring for a few minutes. Just hope it is good enough #fingerscrossed

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
BUT, the most important thing I completed today was my website. It took forever and I am still a little nervous about going live. I switched off maintenance mode and just sat staring for a few minutes. Just hope it is good enough #fingerscrossed
This post is no good (pas bien) without a link to your website. :smallshrug:

Louise Taylor

Reaction score
This post is no good (pas bien) without a link to your website. :smallshrug:
I didn’t think that was allowed here. Well, here is my link, admin can remove the post if it is considered inappropriate:)

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think that was allowed here. Well, here is my link, admin can remove the post if it is considered inappropriate:)
Love the site. Very pretty. Hope it does well for you