Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

maya29

Reaction score

Zing

Reaction score
I finished wrapping and labeling the last of my Christmas soaps, now that all are cured. And I'm steppin' it up, baby! No more lunch bag cigar bands but brown Kraft paper instead!
I also used simpler labeling and glassine bags for two dozen odds and ends that I'll donate to my food pantry.

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
@Zing Pics of these upgraded wrappings and labels, please. :)

Soapy things for me today were rendering lard (about 1.5 gallons of finished product), and washing almost a month's worth of soap dishes. And of course, fondling my curing soaps, but that goes without saying, right? ;)

More so than the soap dishes, which were just soapy (not greasy), washing the large roaster pan that I use for rendering sent a lot of grease down the drain. I need to get back off the couch now and pour in some lye solution before I forget. Sigh.

Last edited:

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some loofah's from a lady in South Australia and they had a bunch of seeds in them so I am going to plant them and see if I can manage to grow them.
Just make sure you give them plenty of water. They're water hogs! And they're climbers.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Playing around with more soap dough while waiting for my tallow to ship.
Cuteness overload!!! 🥰

Washed some of my rendered lard from yesterday. The first part is always so clean, white, and non-smelly. The last half-gallon from the bottom of the roaster is always smelly and darker. Sure enough, today's wet rendering got out tons of gunk. Even so, it still has a bit too much scent for my liking. After it cools and hardens, I'll scrape off the bottom and do at least one more cleaning.

Zing

Reaction score
I soaped today! It's an Ione Swirl (that's Lone for the Kiwi readers....) with colors to match our new kitchen. I used marjoram -- compliments from @cmzaha 's destashing -- plus lavender and lemongrass essential oils. I barely had the words out of my mouth when Mrs. Zing said "yes!" to that blend. I hardly use my stick blender anymore and am gaining confidence at reaching emulsion.

My 2 main issues were the color red and calculating marjoram's usage rates (see other threads).

Now I'm in my normal post-pouring/pre-unmolding angsty mode. Did I use too much essential oil? Was it truly emulsion? Did the colors muddle together? Ad nauseum. 24 hours is too long to wait for results! Everything is warm and cozy under the covers for the night.

I had a doh! moment on a non-soapy issue. I have an antique oil lamp that I keep meaning to purchase oil for. But I do not want to really burn it, I just want something that looks nice. Just today, I realize, Dude! You have a plethora of oils and a rainbow of micas staring you in the face! Here's what I ended up with:
20201128_180343.jpg
And to add to more non-soapiness, we were delighted to discover this telephone nook when we demolished our hallway (half of which was a shade of yellow-green that turned my stomach on plaster spikes 2" long, like a killer meringue pie, and the other half dark paneling).

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having another go-round with the slab mold. Using my own recipe this time. I am a little out of my comfort zone, but i am having fun lol.

I am probably going to have way more batter than i need, but i have lots of smaller molds waiting. One or two more batches will help me figure out better measurements. I used to be really good at math, I think I have gotten lazy with it over the years. A lot of trial and error and i have my loaf molds down to the last drop. This is only my second go round with the slab, so my overflow molds will get less and less over time lol.

I got my sealer in today. Before i took my nap (night shift), i played with it a bit. I knew my ugly bars were good for something. But i think i got the wrong sealer. I guess i need one that cuts (??). Determined to not let it defeat me, I have been figuring out how to “cut” it with two passes, while not making the edges look burnt, if that makes sense.

I am babbling cause i am waiting for my lye to cool lol.
.........................................​

Edit: I am done. Hope its good after the cpop. Had to stop myself from playing with it lol. First i went diagonal, then lengthwise, then figure 8.

I could have easily fit the leftovers that are in the little cavity molds, but it was getting too black. It was supposed to be mostly white with black gray and red. I think i used too much white in the bottom.

in the pic, the reddish part is just the light from the microwave light. It all looks like the rest of the mold. Not disturbing it to take another picture.

I am happy with it. Hope it is better than my last one.

FO is Afternoon Tea.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dawni

Reaction score
Tried several new things in one soap batch last night. Local cocoa butter, ethically sourced local palm oil and their own lightly refined coconut oil (I usually use the supermarket kind for soaping), and a new (to me) mold.

Today I cut it with a new (to me) single cutter.

Haven't made confetti soap in a while.
IMG_20201129_205945.jpg
Not sure you can call it confetti because I didn't shred the soap into small pieces, obviously lol

Wow, palm makes hard soap. First time to use it and at just one day after this soap is harder than everything else I make. Was pretty fluid too, with just 2.4:1 water, hot process.

Martha

Reaction score
Tried several new things in one soap batch last night. Local cocoa butter, ethically sourced local palm oil and their own lightly refined coconut oil (I usually use the supermarket kind for soaping), and a new (to me) mold.

Today I cut it with a new (to me) single cutter.

Haven't made confetti soap in a while.
View attachment 52009
Not sure you can call it confetti because I didn't shred the soap into small pieces, obviously lol

Wow, palm makes hard soap. First time to use it and at just one day after this soap is harder than everything else I make. Was pretty fluid too, with just 2.4:1 water, hot process.
I love those bars! Such pretty colors.

I have finally had a minute to catch up and pull out my soap tools. Made 2 batches yesterday and planning on at least one more batch today. My friends and family like to get them for Christmas. Hopefully they will understand the lateness this year.

violets2217

Reaction score
My new stick blender was delivered last night while I was at work! My kids sent me a picture of the box and I got even more excited! I opened it this morning and really want to make some soap to try it out, but I have to go to work! And I’m back at work at 7am tomorrow morning... I’m never gonna get to try it out! Plus, no clue what kinda soap I wanna make! I think I want to make more with aloe and maybe try one of my new FO. Maybe a pot swirl, but what colors? Decisions decisions decisions!

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Dawni
[/QUOTE]
I’d buy a curing shelf like that if he’s selling them! Great looking shelf!!!

The DH bought me a stainless steel counter to replace my old wooden cabinet I’ve been using in my soap making area. It’s getting delivered today and I’m super excited! I’ve been waiting to make my face oil because I’ve been waiting for my new super clean countertop.
Wrapping and mailing a whole bunch of soaps! My friends have been so great and supportive!!!

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
I am probably going to have way more batter than i need, but i have lots of smaller molds waiting. One or two more batches will help me figure out better measurements. I used to be really good at math, I think I have gotten lazy with it over the years.
The method I used to determine my slab mold capacity was to fill it with water while on the scale and weigh it filled. That gives you the general capacity of your necessary soap batter. Subtract 70% to determine the weight of oils. You can do this with any vessel (even PVC pipes).