What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made lotion bars using a "poor mans" double boiler that I've used in the past to successfully make lotion bars. I put my ingredients in a glass mason jar, put the mason jar in a pot of water and heat/boil the water. Everything was looking good and melted, but when I went to lift the mason jar out the bottom broke off and all the melted oils and butters went into my water. BUMMER!

I didn't have another mason jar, and I don't have a double broiler, so I just decided to use the pot to melt the oils directly. I'm not sure why I couldn't do that in the first place, because it seemed to work out....okay. I just put the lotion in freezer and I'll see if they turn out okay.

Also, this weekend, I must have shrink wrapped like.....a million soap bars. And I'm not even exaggerating. LOL.

Instead of using a mason jar for melting, try using a smaller pan in a larger pan, with the water in the larger pan. I don't have a "proper" double boiler either and that's what I do. OR I use a Pyrex measuring cup but put a paper towel or a dish cloth down in the pan with the water to absorb the vibration from the bubbles.

IMG_1630.jpeg
Made a drop swirl batch. I lowered the water from a previous recipe and still got glycerin rivers. I like the bars and it feels good to be back to soap making after a long hiatus.

Yesterday I made a CP w/ confetti its two tone in color' not happy the the white half w/ confetti turning light brown, on a positive soap smells good, no glycerin rivers or soda ash. I ordered a sealer & heat gun i'm so excited to get them started redesigning labels so I can try out my new tools when they arrive.

Not soap, but I made a new batch of my face oil yesterday. It’s a formula I’ve been working on for years. I haven’t made it in awhile because the initial investment is a bit high. But, one of my customers is such a huge fan that she pre paid for 6 bottles, and with the addition of that I was able to get what I needed. I did tons of research and got even better quality ingredients at better prices. Same formula, but with different sourced ingredients, and it’s crazy how different it is! It’s so super good!!! I really excited about it!!!
And, it didn’t feel right to try and make it on my old janky countertop. My new stainless steel felt clean and much more professional.
It was such a big investment, and I wanted it to turn out really well that I was super nervous. But, all the planning paid off.
Anyway, not soap, back to soap today!

Attachments

• 093DCB69-5A7C-4BD7-9C27-224BE6B90428.jpeg
    093DCB69-5A7C-4BD7-9C27-224BE6B90428.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 33
  • 50FE51AF-51F5-485F-B5B4-E757C99D6957.jpeg
    50FE51AF-51F5-485F-B5B4-E757C99D6957.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 29
Not soap, but I made a new batch of my face oil yesterday. It’s a formula I’ve been working on for years. I haven’t made it in awhile because the initial investment is a bit high. But, one of my customers is such a huge fan that she pre paid for 6 bottles, and with the addition of that I was able to get what I needed. I did tons of research and got even better quality ingredients at better prices. Same formula, but with different sourced ingredients, and it’s crazy how different it is! It’s so super good!!! I really excited about it!!!
And, it didn’t feel right to try and make it on my old janky countertop. My new stainless steel felt clean and much more professional.
It was such a big investment, and I wanted it to turn out really well that I was super nervous. But, all the planning paid off.
Your new SS top is beautiful' as is your workspace' awesome! Love how your soap is packaged as-well. Your oil sounds fantastic. 💫💞

Started prepping to label a bulk order for lotion balms again. By hand. 65 pieces.

Dies

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this whole hand writing thing lol but as long as I'm not rushing I enjoy doing it.

Christmas boxes I posted here some weeks back are almost sold out! So awesome. So now I have to label those too. Lol

Maybe I can get someone to make me a font instead. Dawni's font? Dawn to Earth font?Eh?
IMG_20201202_021433.jpg

Started prepping to label a bulk order for lotion balms again. By hand. 65 pieces.

Dies

I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew with this whole hand writing thing lol but as long as I'm not rushing I enjoy doing it.

Christmas boxes I posted here some weeks back are almost sold out! So awesome. So now I have to label those too. Lol

Maybe I can get someone to make me a font instead. Dawni's font? Dawn to Earth font?Eh?
Wow. That is a work of love 💕.

I made one of my regular soaps today to be ready for after Christmas when people no longer want my Christmas themed soaps.
BUT, the most important thing I completed today was my website. It took forever and I am still a little nervous about going live. I switched off maintenance mode and just sat staring for a few minutes. Just hope it is good enough #fingerscrossed

BUT, the most important thing I completed today was my website. It took forever and I am still a little nervous about going live. I switched off maintenance mode and just sat staring for a few minutes. Just hope it is good enough #fingerscrossed
This post is no good (pas bien) without a link to your website. :smallshrug:

Love to hear how supportive your DH and your friends are of your efforts, and how committed you are to sanitary practices! Your new countertop looks fantastic, and the oil sounds dreamy. Well done!

Having fun with my new planer. What a difference it makes. Allowing myself a learning curve.

so far i have tried it out on different ages of soap. When is the best time to plane soap? It seems easiest when its more fresh...mine is a few days old. But i get more blade drag marks. And a lot of gunk in the blade that i have to keep cleaning out.

I hate yt tuts sometimes. They make it look like its unmold, cut, plane and bevel all in one day without mention of a time frame lol

I didn’t think that was allowed here. Well, here is my link, admin can remove the post if it is considered inappropriate:)
https://taylors-savonnerie.com/
I imagine it's fine in this case. You're not asking us to purchase from it (soliciting), and you're not drawing attention to it over and over (spamming). You're just posting it to satisfy our curiosity. It really is a beautiful website, I can see a lot of work went into it.

I imagine it's fine in this case. You're not asking us to purchase from it (soliciting), and you're not drawing attention to it over and over (spamming). You're just posting it to satisfy our curiosity. It really is a beautiful website, I can see a lot of work went into it.
Thank you. Yes, it was a lot of work :)

Finally got to try out my new stick blender! And I lined my mold with the thin cutting mats. We’ll see how much it leaked, I didn’t tape it or anything. I let my son pick out the colors to go with the white and black. He did pretty good. I did a pot swirl on bottom and the the line swirling thing on top... I forget what it’s called, but it’s sooo funn! Now I have an hour to go clean up before I need to leave to pick up my walmart grocery order!
F3458CAC-056E-41B5-A5E5-3F82146E4AA9.jpeg

Dies

View attachment 52075
Your writing is so pretty. And nice and straight. I have nice handwriting, but by the end of this, it would all be diagonal lol.

Dont know any font makers, but i would buy this one.

Back