Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I just poured my candy cane soap. I got nervous about the fragrance because the usage rate was 1-5%, like normally it just says 5, like thats the max. I used about 2.5 lol. We will see about this one.

plus i thought i swore off TD. But i tried 2 different white micas that i am miserable about the whiteness, and i really want this to have white white. So i mixed the td before i went to work this afternoon to hopefully help it marinate. I mixed and shook it so long today that i was almost late for work...how would that be for an excuse LOL. Out of the bottle it still looked like it had boogers. We will see about that one too.

And i have been thinking about a design for two days for the candy cane smell. I got sick of trying to decide, so i went with a secret feather hanger swirl. Not really christmasy. Maybe it will look like a poinsettia Lol. Shoulda just went with an ITP and called it a day lol.
Non nano Zinc Oxide gives a beautiful white and no glycerine rivers

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's gorgeous! Out of curiousity, what does the almond bring to the table?
From the few things I’ve read it’s said to help with lather and creaminess but I’ll have to see. I just wanted to use it as I’ve got a half gallon that I’m not gonna drink. Lol. At the very least I figure it’s an interesting label appeal. The initial lather with the brand new piece I made yesterday was really nice.

Catscankim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent most of my morning watching videos to try to recreate @Jersey Girl pretty soap. When i finally decided that i just cant lol....

Anticipating that im not going to be happy with last nights pour, i used up the rest of My candy cane FO and did an Itp swirl with angry rose, white, and trial by fire. Dont ask how the white went LOL.

Still gotta cut last nights...tonight or tomorrow morning.

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I've had a day! I remade my 2nd ever soap yesterday. The first one looked great but had ridiculous glycerin rivers and I found out since then that a water discount would help that. I thought the original colour was a bit pale so being 'cute' decided to add some neon pink (just a touch) to intensify the colour. Turns out it was a much deeper colour than I wanted so added way too much (I know this in retrospect) TD to lighten it up. Fast forward to this afternoon. I cut it and it looks like glycerin rivers again! I decided that maybe I would take a few bars and grate it to make a confetti soap. Then I thought, why not cut out some little flower shapes to use as embeds. They were hard to get out of the little cutter and didn't look great so went on to the confetti bit - put the soap in the food processor - with the grater but I should have used the small grater sider as it looked like ground beef! So then I got the idea to use my plastic blade thinking it would shred it finer - NOT - I ended up with soap dough! So I just through all the soap I had and made 1 pretty big batch of dough which I rolled into different size ball then dusted lightly with the colorant I used. Tomorrow - who knows what will happen! My take away as it relates to the glycerin rivers is I don't think that was it at all... as I mushed the soap in my hands, I'm quite certain it was the TD. I obviously didn't incorporate it well enough and I used way too much. Here's the first soap as well as yesterday's... we'll see if tomorrow's improves with my round embeds.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I suddenly
Well I've had a day! I remade my 2nd ever soap yesterday. The first one looked great but had ridiculous glycerin rivers and I found out since then that a water discount would help that. I thought the original colour was a bit pale so being 'cute' decided to add some neon pink (just a touch) to intensify the colour. Turns out it was a much deeper colour than I wanted so added way too much (I know this in retrospect) TD to lighten it up. Fast forward to this afternoon. I cut it and it looks like glycerin rivers again! I decided that maybe I would take a few bars and grate it to make a confetti soap. Then I thought, why not cut out some little flower shapes to use as embeds. They were hard to get out of the little cutter and didn't look great so went on to the confetti bit - put the soap in the food processor - with the grater but I should have used the small grater sider as it looked like ground beef! So then I got the idea to use my plastic blade thinking it would shred it finer - NOT - I ended up with soap dough! So I just through all the soap I had and made 1 pretty big batch of dough which I rolled into different size ball then dusted lightly with the colorant I used. Tomorrow - who knows what will happen! My take away as it relates to the glycerin rivers is I don't think that was it at all... as I mushed the soap in my hands, I'm quite certain it was the TD. I obviously didn't incorporate it well enough and I used way too much. Here's the first soap as well as yesterday's... we'll see if tomorrow's improves with my round embeds.
I actually think they both look pretty cool! But then, I like pink, so... :)

Just finally got a few minutes to make my challenge soap. Given the looming deadline, I went with 100% CO since it hardens fast. It also makes a nice marble soap due to the translucency. The scent is 4 parts Colombian Coffee to 1 part vanilla bean. I'd probably use even less of the VB next time, but it still smells great. It's in the mold now; hoping to cut and take pics tonight.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent most of my morning watching videos to try to recreate @Jersey Girl pretty soap. When i finally decided that i just cant lol....

Anticipating that im not going to be happy with last nights pour, i used up the rest of My candy cane FO and did an Itp swirl with angry rose, white, and trial by fire. Dont ask how the white went LOL.

Still gotta cut last nights...tonight or tomorrow morning.
Well, I’m flattered...that’s very sweet. Sure you can. Just keep practicing and experimenting. ♥

Suzette

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got my order of fragrances from NG and my micas from MM. I made a few test batches as I am still trying to get the layering thing down. Also, cut the batch of Autumn Leaves and Fireside soaps and am so pleased with how they turned out. 🙂

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made a fairy poop soap today w different colors and EOs. Didn’t do ITPS this time. Did a new technique I’m gonna call In The Poop Swirl! 😆😆😆
🧚🏻💩🧼
White mica isn’t covering my favorite EOs as good as I’d hoped.

Attachments

Mellicious

Reaction score
They are awesome... I envy your patience not to mention the talent to do those!
Yeah, didn’t even look at the time it takes to make them... thought it would just put me off 😂. It did take a while though.... guess making them more often and getting practice would help the speed

Jackie Tobey

Reaction score
I spent a couple hours playing with micas, mixing different ones together to get th colors I want. Does anyone else do that or do you just use the colors as they come to you?

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
Did you use a color stabilizer! BB OMH FO will turn brown or at least tan. Just curious. Love the look.

Latest posts