Quantcast

What soapy thing have you done today?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

SPowers

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut my 'marble' soap this morning and it doesn't look like marble! :( In retrospect I would have had a different/better result had I cut the soap horizontally. For some reason my brain doesn't think about that option until after the fact. The soap looks fine however I doubt I will post it on the challenge page as it clearly is not marble.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just barely enough time to cut before I have an appointment. Almost waited too long. The sound my poor wire cutter made was VERY spooky! Just in time for Halloween. The yellow and greens glow in the dark! Yay! The busy one is a double plate pull through. First time doing that. Thanks for the idea @glendam ! And I swear sometimes the end slices have the best design of the whole loaf!

Attachments

glendam

Reaction score
Just barely enough time to cut before I have an appointment. Almost waited too long. The sound my poor wire cutter made was VERY spooky! Just in time for Halloween. The yellow and greens glow in the dark! Yay! The busy one is a double plate pull through. First time doing that. Thanks for the idea @glendam ! And I swear sometimes the end slices have the best design of the whole loaf!
Totally agree! Sometimes I wish that what is in the end pieces would replicate in the whole loaf!

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the pull through tool there is a surprise inside each cut! Love them. ♥

msunnerstood

Reaction score
I made another batch of snowman you know. I have people with dibs on 4 of the last 5 when they are ready.

Those are stunning!

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Thanks for all the warm welcomes back!
Here is how my test batch turned out. It was supposed to be an ITP swirl but due to the heavy trace the oranges did not flow into the yellow in the pouring vessel. Still, it turned out better than I expected! The scent is 'sunshine on my mind' from Nurture. I love it, but its very mild even with 1 oz ppo.

Attachments

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's purple :)
Which leads me to ask - why can't I ever get my purples to be a nice bright purple? Why are they always greyish?
View attachment 49831
The opposite of purple is yellow, so if your soap usually has a yellow hue it will dull your purple accordingly. Your blue was less affected, but there is an undertone of green to it (blue + yellow). Your red didn't shift too far orange, so that's awesome, and I'm sure orange, yellow, and green are brighter for it. Your soap is beautiful! And it definitely still reads rainbow when you see the full bar.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's purple :)
Which leads me to ask - why can't I ever get my purples to be a nice bright purple? Why are they always greyish?
View attachment 49831
I think they look great. Purple can be tough but I’ve had good luck with a mica called Guilty Grape from Mad Micas. I don’t know if they ship to NZ though. Here are a couple I used it in. Incidentally, The one with pointy layers, Persephone’s Kiss used a blackberry mica from NS in the bottom layer and I was disappointed that that one turned gray. Top layer is guilty grape.

Made these yesterday. Totally miscalculated the amount of batter for my NS 2.5lb mold with silicon liner and dividers. Had way too much. I should have overfilled for the Taiwan swirl or scraped the dividers carefully as I removed them as much of the batter stuck to the liner when I removed them leaving a one inch space to the top of the mold. I had my little 2 Lb mold on hand to plop the remaining batter in and ended up with some 3 oz soaps that I guess will be good for hand soaps.

Attachments

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to my DH who set up my e-commerce site, I got my biz registered, and ins. It’s still improving and growing, and it’s mostly just to friends, but something good came out of this really hard time. I’m super grateful! And, I really love this group! 💙🚿🧼🛁💙

Attachments

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omg I have SO many soaps in circulation! It’s kind of ridiculous, and fun. Currently 7 in the shower, 2 at each of 3 sinks, and 2 in the bath tub.
How many soaps are you actively using?
You don’t want to know...lol. 12 just in the shower. 😱
ETA...and thanks to all the amazing things I’ve learned here about formulating soaps and longevity...they are lasting forever! Curse you all! 😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a soapy nightmare! Dreamed I was mixing lye solution and there were big chunks of salt ( the size of ice cubes) in the mixture that weren't dissolving so I put my BARE HAND in to scoop them out! Then realised what I had done and quickly rushed to the sink and ran my hand under cold water for ages. But the next day I saw a big hollow in my wrist that had been burned out by the lye - I mustn't have rinsed it properly. Anyway - needless to say I was glad that i woke up and realised none of it was real.

Zing

Reaction score
I had a soapy nightmare! Dreamed I was mixing lye solution and there were big chunks of salt ( the size of ice cubes) in the mixture that weren't dissolving so I put my BARE HAND in to scoop them out! Then realised what I had done and quickly rushed to the sink and ran my hand under cold water for ages. But the next day I saw a big hollow in my wrist that had been burned out by the lye - I mustn't have rinsed it properly. Anyway - needless to say I was glad that i woke up and realised none of it was real.
Now I'm going to have nightmares! Yikes-kers!

GemstonePony

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely had soap nightmares, but fortunately my brain blurs things it doesn't like. This isn't always handy, but in this case it's nice.