What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've had a day! I remade my 2nd ever soap yesterday. The first one looked great but had ridiculous glycerin rivers and I found out since then that a water discount would help that. I thought the original colour was a bit pale so being 'cute' decided to add some neon pink (just a touch) to intensify the colour. Turns out it was a much deeper colour than I wanted so added way too much (I know this in retrospect) TD to lighten it up. Fast forward to this afternoon. I cut it and it looks like glycerin rivers again! I decided that maybe I would take a few bars and grate it to make a confetti soap. Then I thought, why not cut out some little flower shapes to use as embeds. They were hard to get out of the little cutter and didn't look great so went on to the confetti bit - put the soap in the food processor - with the grater but I should have used the small grater sider as it looked like ground beef! So then I got the idea to use my plastic blade thinking it would shred it finer - NOT - I ended up with soap dough! So I just through all the soap I had and made 1 pretty big batch of dough which I rolled into different size ball then dusted lightly with the colorant I used. Tomorrow - who knows what will happen! My take away as it relates to the glycerin rivers is I don't think that was it at all... as I mushed the soap in my hands, I'm quite certain it was the TD. I obviously didn't incorporate it well enough and I used way too much. Here's the first soap as well as yesterday's... we'll see if tomorrow's improves with my round embeds.

Attachments

• Soap 2 - Peony1.jpg
    Soap 2 - Peony1.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Soap 45 - Pink Peony remake.jpg
    Soap 45 - Pink Peony remake.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 29
I suddenly
Well I've had a day! I remade my 2nd ever soap yesterday. The first one looked great but had ridiculous glycerin rivers and I found out since then that a water discount would help that. I thought the original colour was a bit pale so being 'cute' decided to add some neon pink (just a touch) to intensify the colour. Turns out it was a much deeper colour than I wanted so added way too much (I know this in retrospect) TD to lighten it up. Fast forward to this afternoon. I cut it and it looks like glycerin rivers again! I decided that maybe I would take a few bars and grate it to make a confetti soap. Then I thought, why not cut out some little flower shapes to use as embeds. They were hard to get out of the little cutter and didn't look great so went on to the confetti bit - put the soap in the food processor - with the grater but I should have used the small grater sider as it looked like ground beef! So then I got the idea to use my plastic blade thinking it would shred it finer - NOT - I ended up with soap dough! So I just through all the soap I had and made 1 pretty big batch of dough which I rolled into different size ball then dusted lightly with the colorant I used. Tomorrow - who knows what will happen! My take away as it relates to the glycerin rivers is I don't think that was it at all... as I mushed the soap in my hands, I'm quite certain it was the TD. I obviously didn't incorporate it well enough and I used way too much. Here's the first soap as well as yesterday's... we'll see if tomorrow's improves with my round embeds.
I actually think they both look pretty cool! But then, I like pink, so... :)

Just finally got a few minutes to make my challenge soap. Given the looming deadline, I went with 100% CO since it hardens fast. It also makes a nice marble soap due to the translucency. The scent is 4 parts Colombian Coffee to 1 part vanilla bean. I'd probably use even less of the VB next time, but it still smells great. It's in the mold now; hoping to cut and take pics tonight.

I spent most of my morning watching videos to try to recreate @Jersey Girl pretty soap. When i finally decided that i just cant lol....

Anticipating that im not going to be happy with last nights pour, i used up the rest of My candy cane FO and did an Itp swirl with angry rose, white, and trial by fire. Dont ask how the white went LOL.

Still gotta cut last nights...tonight or tomorrow morning.
Well, I’m flattered...that’s very sweet. Sure you can. Just keep practicing and experimenting. ♥️

Made some Soap dough Vikings, thanks to Bee’s tutorials (Sorcery Soap). So pleased.... now I just have to figure out how I want the loaf to look... Inspiration welcome 😉

Attachments

• 14B34E70-5EA5-4937-A6FF-CC6B14DFA7A6.jpeg
    14B34E70-5EA5-4937-A6FF-CC6B14DFA7A6.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 58F94883-8F65-48C4-9BAC-AF12E76AA5A6.jpeg
    58F94883-8F65-48C4-9BAC-AF12E76AA5A6.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 26
I finally got my order of fragrances from NG and my micas from MM. I made a few test batches as I am still trying to get the layering thing down. Also, cut the batch of Autumn Leaves and Fireside soaps and am so pleased with how they turned out. 🙂

Made a fairy poop soap today w different colors and EOs. Didn’t do ITPS this time. Did a new technique I’m gonna call In The Poop Swirl! 😆😆😆
🧚🏻💩🧼
White mica isn’t covering my favorite EOs as good as I’d hoped.

Attachments

• 5430D798-2552-4864-8C00-301B4B519190.jpeg
    5430D798-2552-4864-8C00-301B4B519190.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 18
  • CFD7C25F-466A-49A0-A0EE-9BB6616471F6.jpeg
    CFD7C25F-466A-49A0-A0EE-9BB6616471F6.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 13
They are awesome... I envy your patience not to mention the talent to do those!

Yeah, didn’t even look at the time it takes to make them... thought it would just put me off 😂. It did take a while though.... guess making them more often and getting practice would help the speed

I spent a couple hours playing with micas, mixing different ones together to get th colors I want. Does anyone else do that or do you just use the colors as they come to you?

Yesterday I decided to make a soap using unsweetened almond milk that has been in my fridge for a while. It has expired but was never opened and smells and tastes fine...yes, I actually took a little sip. Lol. I used it at 100% liquid and View attachment 49917I added the lye to it slowly and it behaved fine. No heating up as there is no sugar at all in it. It turned out nice and already is making a really nice lather. Scented with Almond FO from Aztec and also some OMH from BB. I also used sweet almond oil for extra almond appeal. 😁
Did you use a color stabilizer! BB OMH FO will turn brown or at least tan. Just curious. Love the look.

Well, I’m flattered...that’s very sweet. Sure you can. Just keep practicing and experimenting. ♥
You make some really pretty Soaps. I am jealous lol. I couldnt find a good tutorial (and by good, i mean dumb it down for me good lol)

Anyway, my soapy thing for tonight was to cut last nights candy cane soap.

This smells so fricken GOOD! Its not like a candy cane. More like peppermint bark. Very confectionary. I am glad i played it safe with the amt of fragrance. Anymore would be too much. I could shower with this scent, which i was afraid of it being too pepperminty. This has a nice creamy smell. I hope it sticks. Natures Oil.

Got the boogers, which i expected from the TD.

Did a secret feather swirl, after i debated for two days on my design. I settled on it because i was determined to make something, even though its not exactly what i set out to do originally.

The red is Trial by Fire.
B40A19A7-41A2-4869-AD22-395D36BF369C.jpeg

It's gonna be a good, good day.
And was it??! Good luck to you and all my small business friends here on this forum.
And now I have my fave Black Eyed Peas song in my head! Jump out that sofa! Let's kick it off! Fill up my cup! Mazel tov! To get waaay off subject, here's my very favorite flash mob from my former beloved home of Chicago with the Peas and Oprah:

I turned so many of my curing soaps. I'll soon need more surfaces in my basement. And started planning some designs for holiday soaps. Hit me up if you have blends using frankincense and myrrh essential oils -- they're not on eocalc.com!

I've been on this quest to improve my basic recipe to increase hardness and make a longer-lasting soap (without pills, ahem, @Misschief please get your misschiefous mind out of the gutter). Today we begin testing ones made with rice bran oil and one made with shea butter.

And was it??! Good luck to you and all my small business friends here on this forum.
And now I have my fave Black Eyed Peas song in my head! Jump out that sofa! Let's kick it off! Fill up my cup! Mazel tov! To get waaay off subject, here's my very favorite flash mob from my former beloved home of Chicago with the Peas and Oprah:

It was an amazing day! Sales weren't spectacular but, for a pop up that was out of the way, it was alright. We had a total of 600 guests visit the farm. The day was perfect, not hot, not cold, a sputter of rain, a bit of wind, and plenty of sunshine and a lot of fresh country air.

Back