What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know how “that” rope got in, but you can poke a hole in your soap with a straw and insert a rope in that.
when tho? before unmolding, I guess, but not right away.....thoughts, anyone else who does holey soap?

Yesterday I got my planer/beveler delivered so today I spent a good deal of time cleaning up my soaps. After that I 'washed' them and they all look so shiny and pretty!
And then if that wasn't enough, I attempted a rebatch with all my scraps. I now know I need to separate these scraps by colour range or something. I had a real mixed bag and in the end the soap looks like cement in my mold! I read that this soap can come out of the mold within a few hours and mine came away nicely from the sides but when I took it out of the mold I lost the corners. The bottom is very soft... I scraped the bottom of the mold and put it in the corners and hopefully I can clean it up when it hardens properly. I had a separate container of diced soap which I put in like confetti to add some colour and interest... we'll see what it looks like tomorrow!

Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓
First thing I thought is you could drill it but the bit would have to be very clean. Also a stainless steel straw would probably work. I would probably wait till it set up a bit for a couple days but this is just me speculating because I’ve never done it here’s a thread that talks about it.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ke-a-hole-tunnel-through-a-bar-of-soap.76944/

First thing I thought is you could drill it but the bit would have to be very clean. Also a stainless steel straw would probably work. I would probably wait till it set up a bit for a couple days but this is just me speculating because I’ve never done it here’s a thread that talks about it.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ke-a-hole-tunnel-through-a-bar-of-soap.76944/
No, you just put a straw in the soap (individual molds) when it’s set up but not hard. Leave the straw in place until you unmold .

Try not to add so much water when you rebatch. Also, it does tend to look like concrete, you can add some mica to change the color - but you have to use a dark color obviously to counter all those other colors. I like to whip my rebatch. After it’s all melted, just whip it - this also seems to lighten the color. I add mica, and fragrance. I love my rebatch!

I’m kind of obsessed with coffee scrub bars. My first batch was great but I made it before I knew about upping palmitic/stearic % to make the soap longer lasting. So while my first batch was great they didn’t last very long. I’ve since tweaked my palm free/vegan recipe to up the longevity. Made these bars last night (after I told myself I would take a few days off experimenting 😂) I finally used my new Cheshire Cat angler contraption to do slanted layers because when I angle with towels and boards etc. I always manage to wonk it up. I tried a gradient that will hopefully be more pronounced as it discolors. Smells fantastic. I’m kind of a coffee freaker lol.

Attachments

• 6AC104A2-7B3B-4684-BCE1-0A2BF9304B99.jpeg
    6AC104A2-7B3B-4684-BCE1-0A2BF9304B99.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 20
  • AC23A7A7-D555-42D7-B010-C2345B2FF179.jpeg
    AC23A7A7-D555-42D7-B010-C2345B2FF179.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 5E5BEF55-4E60-465D-9933-CAA7C9925167.jpeg
    5E5BEF55-4E60-465D-9933-CAA7C9925167.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 23
Not necessarily soap related for what I'm doing today. I'm all over the place.

Working from home, organizing my FO's to do an inventory (I just got a TON - about 100 bottles all different sizes - from a gal I soap with who is moving and didn't want to take them with her)
I'm also making more memorial hurricanes for my sister. Also on the list for either today or tomorrow is to masterbatch about 100lbs of oils, clean my lab, and then possibly maybe make soap on Sunday. :) Really depends on if I also get all my other weekend chores done (housecleaning, laundry, etc.,)

I’m kind of obsessed with coffee scrub bars. My first batch was great but I made it before I knew about upping palmitic/stearic % to make the soap longer lasting. So while my first batch was great they didn’t last very long. I’ve since tweaked my palm free/vegan recipe to up the longevity. Made these bars last night (after I told myself I would take a few days off experimenting 😂) I finally used my new Cheshire Cat angler contraption to do slanted layers because when I angle with towels and boards etc. I always manage to wonk it up. I tried a gradient that will hopefully be more pronounced as it discolors. Smells fantastic. I’m kind of a coffee freaker lol.
I’m with you there. I am definitely a coffee addict.

Cut and cleaned up my rainbow soap - it's much better than my previous attempts but still have some work to do on getting straight lines. I also cut my rebatch... think I'll call it Frankenstein since it's made up of so many things! The diced bits add some nice colour which is a good thing. Anyone who saw it before I cut would have thought it was just a concrete brick! This hasn't been cleaned up at all so it's very rough looking.

My confetti soap is still a bit soft so will let it sit longer... I read a recipe (on which I based this) that said to use a cup of liquid - then I saw others that said to add only a couple TBS so I'm guessing that's why it's soft. Hopefully the extra liquid will evaporate. My daughter said I should call it Terrazzo - a better name than Frankenstein!

is that all the same soap? The colours are very different but the design is the same. Either way I love the design.

Attachments

• Rainbow 2nd att 2.jpg
    Rainbow 2nd att 2.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Rebatch confetti.jpg
    Rebatch confetti.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I made some stone soaps! First batch I scented with Peppermint and Anise. They smell wonderful. Second batch I scented with Flamingo Beach, a very salty, suntan like fragrance. I'm not in love with the Flamingo Beach, so I'll be happy when the scent dies down some.

So I'm just wondering what stages everyone's at. :) I'm a curious little cat, I am.

For myself, I'm waiting for my most recent batch of bar soap to firm up (trying to give it 24 hours before I even touch it, since the soapcalc numbers put it just shy of the 'ideal' hardness range). In addition I fiddled around with the liquid soap I made yesterday (a good chunk of it didn't dissolved, and I was seeing if that was because there wasn't enough water to dilute it all... sure enough that was the problem so it was diluted and added to the bottle holding the rest of it).

And right now I have a tea going that will eventually be strained and frozen, to be used when I make my shampoo bar. Still need to get to my aunt's to pick her citrus trees... But at least I can have the liquid ready to go! I measured out 1/2 o I tossed in one bag each of Bigelow's Chammomile Lemon and I Love Lemon teas. I'm going to be infusing both chamomile and lemon into the oils, and needed to use the teas anyways (and I don't drink tea). Win-win, right? I might not need all of the tea for the shampoo bar (I'll only be using about 500g oils after all), but at least I'll have it done. :)

I have a couple of infusions going: lavender bud in OO and Calendua in OO. They're only a couple of weeks old so doing think they'll be ready to go for a bit. I replenished my masterbatch and bought another big jug of lye. Just trying to figure out what I will do next.

I'm a closet watcher! But, I'm daring to show everyone a picture of my Raspberry High Top Goat Milk soap. I just started piping soap so it's not perfect! Made this on July 9th. Going unmold later today and cut. I'm praying my colors haven't morphed and the swirl came out!

Attachments

• 7-9-2020 Raspberry high top-1st.jpg
    7-9-2020 Raspberry high top-1st.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 30
I'm a closet watcher! But, I'm daring to show everyone a picture of my Raspberry High Top Goat Milk soap. I just started piping soap so it's not perfect! Made this on July 9th. Going unmold later today and cut. I'm praying my colors haven't morphed and the swirl came out!
Looks great. Looking forward to the cut.

Ok wait.....I was mainly interested in the *rope* which you didn't even mention, but then there's lots more in here to ask about! ;-)

PCSF?
Any reason to think I couldn't do this CP? I'm thinking not, but then again, I don't know what PCSF is (a magik spell??) and I still don't know how that rope got in....🤓
Lol.. I overshare..( PCSF adding super fat after Cook.. in hot process to get a more fluid soap.)
I use a drill bit by hand to screw the hole in.. Id think any soap could be drilled at right cure stage... before getting too hard.

Latest posts

Back