What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is still very pretty even if it is not "correct"!!
Thanks! I was doing a side pour and thinking “is this how it’s done?” No, not really... but, I like it, too.

@Mobjack Bay I have soap top envy. Those textured tops are absolute perfection.
Thank you so much for noticing :). I have been working on and off for months on my technique for spoon textured tops. I’ve had much better luck with this recipe, which is 50% OO, than with the 60% lard recipe I use.

Just did another 12 bar batch of my Perfect Soap recipe. Olive, canola castor, palm, coconut, lard, bee's, shea. Scented with Peru Balsam plant resinoid. Gonna be a brown soap. Here are a couple of pics of it in my adapted 40-bar slab mold - just poured.
Just did another 12 bar batch of my Perfect Soap recipe. Olive, canola castor, palm, coconut, lard, bee's, shea. Scented with Peru Balsam plant resinoid. Gonna be a brown soap. Here are a couple of pics of it in my adapted 40-bar slab mold - just poured.
Great mold!

avto-in-nagelj-belo-in-r.jpg

Unmoulded also the small pieces that had been poured into very stiff plastic moulds and would not come out. Put them in the fridge and unmolded.
The surface of all pieces that has been exposed to air are all white with something slightly oily. I don't know if this be ash; I've had ash and it looked and felt differently. I turned the carnation flower upside down and the white layer started to develop. When I turned the small pieces upside down they didn't develop the white (yet?).
I quite like them all and am looking forward to making more of them.

Made my (hopefully) challenge entry soap.. And a soleseife! Kiddo napped for quite a while today hehehe
I felt like plain soap. And I wanted a light blue soap. And I wanted more brine soaps.

So I made plain, light blue soleseife :D
_20191126_184240.JPG

Lil dude came up at the last second and wanted to touch. No more picture taking for me lol

If you put the oatmeal in dry, it may have contributed to the problem. I usually stick blend oatmeal into my oils. On the other hand, I would have expected the lard and olive oil to slow things down. Were you soaping warm? Using a high lye concentration?

I did put the oatmeal in dry. I do not think I as too warm? Lye water was barely above room temp. Oil had just melted the lard (turned off heat and stirred to get last bits to melt). Is that to warm? Or is it the difference in temp between lye and oil?

Thank yo for your advise.

edit: lye concentration was 33%

avto-in-nagelj-belo-in-r.jpg

Unmoulded also the small pieces that had been poured into very stiff plastic moulds and would not come out. Put them in the fridge and unmolded.
The surface of all pieces that has been exposed to air are all white with something slightly oily. I don't know if this be ash; I've had ash and it looked and felt differently. I turned the carnation flower upside down and the white layer started to develop. When I turned the small pieces upside down they didn't develop the white (yet?).
I quite like them all and am looking forward to making more of them.

What did you use to get that great color?

I did put the oatmeal in dry. I do not think I as too warm? Lye water was barely above room temp. Oil had just melted the lard (turned off heat and stirred to get last bits to melt). Is that to warm? Or is it the difference in temp between lye and oil?

Thank yo for your advise.

edit: lye concentration was 33%
Sounds like you did everything right with the batter. Maybe try half the amount of oatmeal and SB it into the oil the next time. The color of the soap is nice and it will still be good soap. :)

@Ladka love the color!

@Dawni soooo pretty!

Sounds like you did everything right with the batter. Maybe try half the amount of oatmeal and SB it into the oil the next time. The color of the soap is nice and it will still be good soap. :)

@Ladka love the color!

@Dawni soooo pretty!

It never occurred to me to blend the oatmeal into the oil first...... Will give that a try :)

(they look just a bit too sticky to come out of the mold yet.)

Off to plan today's soap adventure!
(off work the entire week)

Dumfrey, I usedSoapyfun Seifenfarbe Rot, and the small pieces gelled.

Thank you. I love that color!

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt like plain soap. And I wanted a light blue soap. And I wanted more brine soaps.

So I made plain, light blue soleseife :D
View attachment 42719
Lil dude came up at the last second and wanted to touch. No more picture taking for me lol
That's a gorgeous colour. I haven't used blue for a while - might follow suit.

I put soap I made in my brand new, never used shower with a panel that has body jets, rainfall and waterfall. I am so looking forward to tomorrow. This bathroom is 10 years of planning and saving and the fact I have my own soap is just icing on the cake.
Sounds really awesome! Enjoy :D

Latest posts

Back