What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to treat anyone to a cuppa tea or coffee if they can pay for the trip over to NZ :)

I had a go at making an ombre soap, but had difficulties with very lumpy accelerating batter, so the colours didn't graduate as much as i would have liked - there are distinct lines between each mix because I had to work quickly. However, I still quite like it, and next time I will try without using a new, untested, FO.
View attachment 42699 View attachment 42700
The colors are so lovely.

I’ve been unable to get into the site since yesterday afternoon! Very stressful. Neither my phone nor my laptop could access it. Tried turning off the WiFi and just using data. Tried clearing my cache. I wonder if it was a Safari issue with the site? Can anyone enlighten me?
Not sure what the cause was, but I also was unable to get into the site until earlier this afternoon.

845F8170-7606-4B62-82DC-192A895D89F7.jpeg
041A5E83-915C-452B-929B-4EB33FDC9234.jpeg
My 40th birthday is in exactly six weeks and I made soap to celebrate it! I’m attempting astrological soaps - “What’s Your Sign?” Collection with a twist on birth stone coloring. I’m a Cap - Classy, Sassy and a little Smart-assy...I just lovvvvve this color. I’m more of a rhodolite garnet girl.

I also finally got a around to making an Oatmeal, Milk and Honey soap which seems to be such a popular scent. I’m not really a fan but I do love the creaminess of milk soaps. I don’t make them often because they take so long working with frozen milk and not scorching it. This batch is lovely though.

My soapy thing yesterday was to make a loaf of tea scented soap... and to be tea colored. Not sure I’m getting the color I wanted out of it and it was my first attempt at a hanger swirl but I have no idea how it will be because I have to wait at least 24 more hours. Also spent an hour refreshing the site over the last 24 hours trying to get on the site, pinged it with a website that said it was down. But! It’s back and now I can share with you all again :)

Here is a photo of my soap:

image.jpg

I’m currently OP’ing it

Last edited:
Coffee beans... smell your coffee between sniffs.

Totally forgot about this trick, thanks @Misschief!

Happy to treat anyone to a cuppa tea or coffee if they can pay for the trip over to NZ :)

I had a go at making an ombre soap, but had difficulties with very lumpy accelerating batter, so the colours didn't graduate as much as i would have liked - there are distinct lines between each mix because I had to work quickly. However, I still quite like it, and next time I will try without using a new, untested, FO.
View attachment 42699 View attachment 42700

Beautiful! I just tried an ombre for the first time and mine didn't turn out nearly as nice. I poured at too thin trace and the colours merged together too much I think. I love yours!

So happy! Today was my first time swirling! I know I made many errors but it's so pretty, I don't care and I will keep working on it but for now I am enjoying this. It smells wonderful and looks like a blueberry dream dessert, I almost wanted to lick the dividers like it was icing.

View attachment 42742
Beautiful contrast! Congratulations.

KiwiMoose said: "I’ve been unable to get into the site since yesterday afternoon! Very stressful. Neither my phone nor my laptop could access it. " I could not access the site from early morning till late at night either on the phone or the laptop. I'm so glad it's all right again.

Yesterday I scrubbed the white layer on the toy car.

luknjicasta-bela-prevlek.jpg

It felt rather rubbery, was not powdery/ashy and did not zap. And it looked porous (hope it can be seen in the rather poor photo above).

So happy! Today was my first time swirling! I know I made many errors but it's so pretty, I don't care and I will keep working on it but for now I am enjoying this. It smells wonderful and looks like a blueberry dream dessert, I almost wanted to lick the dividers like it was icing.

Beautiful colors and swirls! They’re so crisp!

View attachment 42742

Should NOT have OPed my CP.... when will I learn. It would have been ok if I had put the support back on it and heated it up for 90 minutes max. But.... nooOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOoooo I decided against everything I read here and just popped it in for three hours. It now has a mangled top and it’s hard. I’m not sure I can cut it with anything but a knife.

Last edited:
@Michele50 :thumbs: thank you for those very clear photos. It never even occurred to me to use the colored micas instead of gold. o_O I’ve been putting the mica in water rather than oil or glycerin, which may be part of the problem. I also rushed to cut the soap. It was my first recipe with tallow and when the top got very hard within 4 hours of putting the soap in the mold I was afraid that I would be trying to cut a rock if I waited until the next day. I am always learning :)

You're quite welcome. My soap took longer to be able to unmold, definitely NOT within 1-4 hours as I've read from others. I checked it often and I think it was 7 hours. It was firm(ish) at the 4-hour mark but when peaking between the mold's side and the soap it was tacky and wanted to cling to the sides so I gave it time.

An idea I had and it seemed to work for this one and the 2nd salt soap I made was to put the bars back into my mold as soon as I cut them. In removing them while the loaf was still warm and exposing it to air I figured for sure my bars would end up with soda ash--nope :). I placed plastic wrap back onto the mold just as it was when I put my soap to bed. Since it didn't take long to unmold and cut all 11 bars with my newly purchased 12-bar slicer my hope was to avert the ash--none whatsoever.

@Michele50You managed to get impressive swirls in your salt bar, which are notorious for being difficult to swirl....."
I looked at other people's recipes b/4 making my first salt bars and I noticed a couple chose 3:1 water to lye and soaped at 90 F. The bit of extra water I figured would provide a little more time to do a swirl. Soaping at 90 F, something I was only beginning to do, I knew would also afford more time for swirling. I believe both together allowed for the ability to have the time after adding the salt to accomplish the swirls.

I took almost a year off from soap (health issues) so when I began again (August) I wanted to tackle soaping cooler than my usual 120-130F. I wanted to be able to do things that require a very fluid batter, one that'd give more time to do fancy stuff, like Aug, Sep, and Oct's challenges needed. Funny, those were all techniques I wanted to begin after getting the hang of soaping cooler, lol; I had to just jump right into it so I'm still learning to stop at emulsion......sometimes I don't trust myself and go over into light trace :mad::)

@Michele50With the cure of my first salt bars now at the 5 month mark, a tester soap made with powdery salt seems to be lathering a little less than a tester soap made with granular salt. I’m wondering if the difference could be due to the texture of the bars, with the “rougher” soap lathering better. My next step is to pull out some full size bars to compare.

I think you're on the right track with that thought--the 'texture.' The texture is different between the two; I figure because there is a larger surface area of coconut oil soap surrounding the grains the soap will lather more. With the powdered salt, the salt is more evenly dispursed withing the coconut oil soap so it'd be mixed in with it and less likely to be as bubbly. I hope I explained what was in my head properly enough for comprehension.

I need to make another loaf with 50% salt and use granules rather than the powder so I can compare. The 2nd was with just .33% so much less than the 1st. It had no issues lathering, lol, oh my goodness.........even right away. I just had to try out a tiny scape of soap after a few days.

That is a lovely cut!
Thanks @Kiti Williams :D

My beautiful little light blue soaps a la @Dawni are in the oven looking decidedly GREY! Not happy. The batter was nice and white (with coconut milk) and I added some TD, sky blue mica, and my blue liquid colourant, which I haven't used since about January having switched to mica. Fingers crossed that it will turn blue with gel - the liquid colourant can do strange things when curing.

Cut some lovely coffee bars this morning. They smell odd though, not sure the coffee FO made it through gel properly:( they smell sorta coffee and alot chemical.....

New log mold arrived this morning. Made a simple lard soap with oatmeal.

Have not had much luck with cooler soaping, so uped the heat. Batter was 135, mixed until 138. Added oatmeal and fragrance and hand stirred.

It started to gel after 15 minutes in the mold. Kitchen smells like a pine forest :)

Attachments

• 20191129_101409.jpg
    20191129_101409.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 30
Here ya go @Dawni - not too bad, though still a bit on the grey side. Actually they look a bit bluer in real life than the photo shows. I had two little ones that I didn't gel - made of leftover batter - and they are still very much green-grey.
IMG_1613.jpeg
The little pinky bits on the bottom right flower is leftover soap in the mold from the previous batch that i thought I had cleaned properly. :p

Latest posts

Back