What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YAHOO!! I got the last of my product in 3 days early and made a double batch of Bubble Bits (piped with a Bubble Frosting recipe from DYI) hopefully I will get everything made this weekend-then on to pkg and figuring out how I am going to display everything. I have 3 markets left for the year??? and a few things to make for friends and I am taking a total break for a couple months (why does that make me kinda nervous) . my last show is in a town where I have sold a lot of things this summer and fall and I bought a tube of 30 clear xmas bulbs that I am putting single batches of de-constructed bubble bars and bath bombs in with a simple card saying merry xmas from me and will hand them out when some one buys--I have done well in that town and it is so cool when some one is looking at my soaps and someone comes up and tells them they have bought from me and are very happy--it gives me the warm fuzzies and I am very grateful. ok my gush is over now

Question...I just read that mixing soap in glass is a big no-no, something I hadn't heard before. This is sad news to me, since I was particularly pleased with my nice glass measuring cup I recently got for soaping. Would you all definitely recommend stopping use of it? And what does everyone else use for their soap batter? I prefer glass because it cleans up easier than plastic, so I'm curious what everyone else is using.

Or is it just mixing the lye-water solution in glass that's a problem?

Last edited:
Question...I just read that mixing soap in glass is a big no-no, something I hadn't heard before. This is sad news to me, since I was particularly pleased with my nice glass measuring cup I recently got for soaping. Would you all definitely recommend stopping use of it? And what does everyone else use for their soap batter? I prefer glass because it cleans up easier than plastic, so I'm curious what everyone else is using.

Or is it just mixing the lye-water solution in glass that's a problem?

Lye gets really hot and could break the glassware.

Lye also etches glass and weakens it over time.

Hdpe plastic is best for lye. Hdpe is also a reclyable material and a great option for mixing lye solution in.

:)

Here ya go @Dawni - not too bad, though still a bit on the grey side. Actually they look a bit bluer in real life than the photo shows. I had two little ones that I didn't gel - made of leftover batter - and they are still very much green-grey.
View attachment 42768
The little pinky bits on the bottom right flower is leftover soap in the mold from the previous batch that i thought I had cleaned properly. :p
They're still very cute looking soaps regardless of the color.

The pink bits look good even if it is unintentional haha

I made ingredient labels for 100 soaps that went into glassine bags today. Friends who have asked for more soap have been invited to stop by over the next week, pick out soap and make a donation for a new non-profit center in our community. I’m excited that people want to join in to support this organization that works to end domestic and sexual violence.

My beautiful little light blue soaps a la @Dawni are in the oven looking decidedly GREY! Not happy. The batter was nice and white (with coconut milk) and I added some TD, sky blue mica, and my blue liquid colourant, which I haven't used since about January having switched to mica. Fingers crossed that it will turn blue with gel - the liquid colourant can do strange things when curing.
I hate when colors morph! Are you always using the same base recipe? I hope the cure is the cure for your color blues.

I hate when colors morph! Are you always using the same base recipe? I hope the cure is the cure for your color blues.
Yes - I didn't use aloe juice in this one because I think it yellows somewhat. However, the FO/EO blend I used was VERY yellow, so that didn't help. I added TD to whiten the batch before the blue was added. Used Ylang Ylang FO, Patchouli and Cedarwood Eos.

Finally making soap. Just havent been in the mood lately (I know, Sacrilege) Im making a solid color (Green because im using Hemp Oil) with a blend of FO's. It was a spur of the moment blend and it smells good but I am at a loss for a name.
Its a mix of citrus basil and wood sage & Sea Salt and the result is more of a mans scent. I have no clue.

Finally making soap. Just havent been in the mood lately (I know, Sacrilege) Im making a solid color (Green because im using Hemp Oil) with a blend of FO's. It was a spur of the moment blend and it smells good but I am at a loss for a name.
Its a mix of citrus basil and wood sage & Sea Salt and the result is more of a mans scent. I have no clue.
Herbal Seas? Herbal Citrus?

I ordered all my ingredients to make Syndet Shampoo Bars!!!! Guess what I'll be making this week?

I ordered all my ingredients to make Syndet Shampoo Bars!!!! Guess what I'll be making this week?
Looking forward to this :)

I finally got around to tidying up what was supposed to be my challenge entry. This was my second attempt. My first is somewhere in this thread a few pages back.

Needless to say it didn't go as planned lol and even as regular sized bars they were all wonky so I halved them. They're still all different sizes but they'll do.. Maybe to my aunts for valentines lol
_20191201_161929.JPG

Went for it based on your enthusiasm:). I used it at 100% of my water. It didn't thicken and the batter stayed nice an fluid.
It’s mostly water and sugar, so you should end up with nice bubbly soap.

Sounds good to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Herbal Seas? Herbal Citrus?

I was thinking something with Seas in it too but I suck at naming soaps :) I am really becoming a fan of Basil in soap--I just shrunkwrapped a Grapefruit/Basil that smells awesome,
you will love making the syndet bars--I just made 3 batches yesterday using EOs that are supposed to be good for the scalp (my scalp hasn't cleared up totally but the shampoo bars have helped, but they helped even with an FO--so hopefully the EOs make them a little better even with a wash off)

Back