What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made oat milk today to try in a batch of plain, simple soap. I don't know why but I'm obsessed with using water alternates for half the liquid in my soaps. I have tried beer (love, love), rice milk (love, love, love), coconut milk (love, love, love, love). I have a feeling oat milk is going to be one love because it was a pain in the rear to strain.

Made an attempt at a ”Taiwan Circular Swirl” which didn’t turn out. I think my stick was actually too wide (a tongue depressor). It’s still pretty and smells good (lavandin+frankincense”.
I LOVE this fragrance combination. I use regular lavender most of the time, but I love lavandin almost as much. Would love to see pictures.

Experimented with a new recipe yesterday, so won't know for awhile whether it is a good one or not. Did just a basic in the pot swirl and cut it today. Other than my "gold" mica morphing to a light orange, it turned out well. Looks a little Halloween appropriate. Went with a male scent (black tie)
inthepotswirl.jpg
for the guys in my family. It is sitting next to the goat milk soap I did the other day.

Had a mixed soaping day today. Went to make a double batch of a brightly coloured soap using "Monkey Farts" FO, everything was going beautifully, but the batter wasn't setting up to do the piping I had planned. Came to realize that I doubled the oils, but didn't double the lye water. Doh! So sad because I was really happy with how the design was going too.

Happy with my first experience piping for this Blueberry Muffin FO soap though, smells so good. And the Black Raspberry and Vanilla soap smelled amazing too! Excited to cut into these :)

Blueberry Muffin.jpg

Berry Vanilla.jpg

Made an attempt at a ”Taiwan Circular Swirl” which didn’t turn out. I think my stick was actually too wide (a tongue depressor). It’s still pretty and smells good (lavandin+frankincense”.
Try a kebab stick or a tin chopstick.

I made oat milk today to try in a batch of plain, simple soap. I have a feeling oat milk is going to be one love because it was a pain in the rear to strain.
]
I make this all the time and love it. I just let it sit in a muslin lined strainer and let it do its thing. What is your process?

Last edited by a moderator:
Experimented with a new recipe yesterday, so won't know for awhile whether it is a good one or not. Did just a basic in the pot swirl and cut it today. Other than my "gold" mica morphing to a light orange, it turned out well. Looks a little Halloween appropriate. Went with a male scent (black tie) View attachment 41612 for the guys in my family. It is sitting next to the goat milk soap I did the other day.
Those (both) are lovely .... even the solid color. Nice texture on the solid color bars too.

Had a mixed soaping day today. Went to make a double batch of a brightly coloured soap using "Monkey Farts" FO, everything was going beautifully, but the batter wasn't setting up to do the piping I had planned. Came to realize that I doubled the oils, but didn't double the lye water. Doh! So sad because I was really happy with how the design was going too.

Happy with my first experience piping for this Blueberry Muffin FO soap though, smells so good. And the Black Raspberry and Vanilla soap smelled amazing too! Excited to cut into these :)

View attachment 41619
View attachment 41620
Wow, both of these look scrumptious! Good enough to take a huge bite out of; looking forward to seeing photos!!

Last edited by a moderator:
love the blueberries--can I ask where you got the FO and did you by the blueberries made? both soaps look good enough to eat

The FO is from Nature's Garden. It's my first time using it, but it soaped nicely. It says it discolours, so I removed some batter before adding the FO for the piping. I used a vanilla stabilizer to hopefully stop the uncoloured batter in the remainder of the soap from going too dark so I have some contrast with the blue swirls. Time will tell if it works!

The blueberries are all melt and pour embeds. The small blueberry mold I got on AliExpress. It only makes 8 at a time and I recommend getting more than one to make them all in one shot. The larger blueberries came from an ice cube mold I got off Amazon and were supposed to be round balls but ended up in a blueberry shape so I repurposed them for this soap :)

Wow, both of these look scrumptious! Good enough to take a huge bite out of; looking forward to seeing photos!!

Thank you!

I LOVE this fragrance combination. I use regular lavender most of the time, but I love lavandin almost as much. Would love to see pictures.

972E286A-793D-420A-B641-92C4F7F3C229.jpeg

As you can see, I have a hard time finding the right time to cut my bars, as well as bubble issues.

Runnerchicki, what ratio of lavender to frankincense do you use? I used 2:1 and can only smell the lavender, but I’m thinking the frank will be more stable, so it will even out. Any advice on this would be appreciated!

View attachment 41634
As you can see, I have a hard time finding the right time to cut my bars, as well as bubble issues.

Runnerchicki, what ratio of lavender to frankincense do you use? I used 2:1 and can only smell the lavender, but I’m thinking the frank will be more stable, so it will even out. Any advice on this would be appreciated!
What was your recipe and process?
If you want detailed help with your soap it might be worth starting another thread as you will get more help that way because not everyone reads this thread.

I made oat milk today to try in a batch of plain, simple soap. I don't know why but I'm obsessed with using water alternates for half the liquid in my soaps. I have tried beer (love, love), rice milk (love, love, love), coconut milk (love, love, love, love). I have a feeling oat milk is going to be one love because it was a pain in the rear to strain.

Just be aware that oat milk goes all gluggy when you add the lye to it. It's fine to use though - just pass it through a sieve and mix well with the oils.

Just be aware that oat milk goes all gluggy when you add the lye to it. It's fine to use though - just pass it through a sieve and mix well with the oils.
I use the split method so don't have that problem.
If you rinse the oats using a strainer before you soak them you will take out a lot of the starch that causes a lot of the glugginess.

I use the split method so don't have that problem.
If you rinse the oats using a strainer before you soak them you will take out a lot of the starch that causes a lot of the glugginess.
I did that last time, but i used 100% oat milk for my water. Next time I might just go halves with the water. It's about time I made some more.

I did that last time, but i used 100% oat milk for my water. Next time I might just go halves with the water. It's about time I made some more.
Sorry to hear that KiwiMoose. I thought rinsing it was supposed to solve that problem.

Soapy thing today:
I am currently doing (actually I am reading posts here instead of doing) the maths to work out single cavity soap colour testers with a swirl. Good grief.

Last edited:
I made more lip balms over the weekend. Packaged a large order for shipping. Made 2 custom batches of breastmilk soap. Did soap dishes and some cleaning in the soap dungeon. Messed around with video editing.

This week will be making sugar scrubs, labeling, and packing for a show on Saturday.

Back