What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a loaf of soap, but i'm beginning to think the Monkey Fart FO is bringing bad luck. Power randomly went out, so I had the bright idea that I could still make soap with some battery lights on. Everything all set up, go to pour the lye in and clued in that power is essential for a stick blender. Since everything was all ready to go, I thought i'd just go with it and stir, stir, stir! I also employed the mini mixer. Thankfully the power came back on shortly after because I was going nowhere fast without the stick blender. Then it thickened up faster than I wanted and I ended up having to glop it in the mold. On the plus side, I remembered to double the lye this time :rolleyes:

I have to make laundry soap tonight so nothing fun but I do have new fragrances coming tomorrow plus Ive decided Im going to give deodorant making a try, more for personal use since the containers are super expensive and if you can find them reasonably priced, then the shipping on them is ungodly.

I made more lip balms over the weekend. Packaged a large order for shipping. Made 2 custom batches of breastmilk soap. Did soap dishes and some cleaning in the soap dungeon. Messed around with video editing.

This week will be making sugar scrubs, labeling, and packing for a show on Saturday.
I got my sugar scrubs and conditioner bars labelled today. One less thing to do on Saturday (my show is on Sunday).

View attachment 41634
As you can see, I have a hard time finding the right time to cut my bars, as well as bubble issues.

Runnerchicki, what ratio of lavender to frankincense do you use? I used 2:1 and can only smell the lavender, but I’m thinking the frank will be more stable, so it will even out. Any advice on this would be appreciated!
I make it easy and use 50:50 ratio of lavender and frankincense and it works well for my nose. It's also a fantastic blend for a facial oil. I love the colors you used in your bars!

Just be aware that oat milk goes all gluggy when you add the lye to it. It's fine to use though - just pass it through a sieve and mix well with the oils.
Thanks for the tip @KiwiMoose . I use a 50:50 lye masterbatch, so I added the oat milk to the oils and blasted them with the stick blender. Then I added the lye solution. No glugginess (I experienced that when I use rice milk and it worked, but was a bit gaggy to look at).

I did nothing soapy today because I'm getting sick and am spending every minute that I'm not working laying on the couch. I did make two batches of soap two nights ago, but I haven't unmolded them yet. I don't think I have the energy to cut them. I'm hoping that they will be fine in the molds for a couple days. Right now ... I can't even...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip @KiwiMoose . I use a 50:50 lye masterbatch, so I added the oat milk to the oils and blasted them with the stick blender. Then I added the lye solution. No glugginess (I experienced that when I use rice milk and it worked, but was a bit gaggy to look at).

I did nothing soapy today because I'm getting sick and am spending every minute that I'm not working laying on the couch. I did make two batches of soap two nights ago, but I haven't unmolded them yet. I don't think I have the energy to cut them. I'm hoping that they will be fine in the molds for a couple days. Right now ... I can't even...
Hope you feel better soon. :sadgoodbye:

Since I'm still feeling under the weather, I treated myself to two mica samplers from NS and also broke down and ordered a single bar wire cutter from Workshop Heritage (I love this shop and they make a left-hand cutter). I didn't really *need* either of these, but I'm not sorry I ordered. :D I think it is helping me get better more quickly.

The perils of being around a toddler (my grandson) are that when they give you big sloppy kisses - you are bound to catch their colds. Totally worth it. ;)

ETA: Why is it that I keep putting a double TS mold in my cart when all I make are small batches for myself?

don't have any plans for soap today--I just crawled out of bed 1/2 hour ago but while I was waiting for my coffee to brew I got my soap dishes done. now I wanna make soap--but I need to keep telling myself its dehydrated apple day today

I cut my first two successful ( well i am calling them a success) batches of soap

Attachments

• 20190925_131058.jpg
    20190925_131058.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 30
I cut my first two successful ( well i am calling them a success) batches of soap
I'll call em successes then too. Good job!
I cut my honeysuckle soap. It was more of a color test that I decided I wanted to smell pretty at the same time. Pleased how it came out, though I'm a little sad the gold didn't come out more, well... gold. I think the cream works though.

View attachment 41661
All of it works.. Very pretty!

Making soap tonight with new FO's I got. Its the last time ill be able to make soap for about a week or so. Having surgery Friday so I shall live vicariously through you all and probably make a pain of myself lol.

probably make a pain of myself lol

oh I can about imagine hahahahahaha. hope things go well with your surgery :)

I wound up making a soap today--mixed a couple FOs together and did a white and yellow strainer pull with a new strainer I cut out. not too sure I didn't pour to thin. will have to wait to see :oops::oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered a ton of stuff today as one of my pieces of mining equipment finally sold. Got this little slab cutter:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/683446...log-splitter-and?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1

Picked up 38 new mica colors from Mad Micas. Pine tar got delivered, the kind that DeeAnna recommends. Ordered some peace silk, pearls, and a few other additives. My dad and stepmom's 10 year anniversary is in two years and I want to make them a few bars of a luxury recipe that I haven't even began to research. I'm going to stamp it with 24k gold powder for his and do something non-metallic but still elegant for hers.

And.....I started using my first batch of soap yesterday. Meh. Hard water here is crying for some EDTA in the soap.

I finally cut the two batches of breastmilk soap last night. Oddly the soap without FO did a partial gel (just a teeny spot as it was in the freezer for 24 hours), I would have thought it would be more likely in the scented soap. I'm always surprised when things don't go as expected. The partial gel is not a problem, I expect it not to be noticeable after cure. I will bevel tonight and move to the cure rack.

Today's plan:
Make a batch of sugar scrub over lunch
When I get off work (I have the PT job tonight as well) I will bevel soaps, make the other two batches of scrub, and start packing for my Saturday show.

Friday's plan:
Pick up stock from Peddlers Market
Label all the stuff that I've made that hasn't been labeled yet
Finish packing
Do early setup for show (the show is 3 blocks from my house, yay!)

Hopefully I will get back to soapmaking next week.

Ordered a ton of stuff today as one of my pieces of mining equipment finally sold. Got this little slab cutter:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/683446...log-splitter-and?ref=shop_home_active_1&frs=1

Picked up 38 new mica colors from Mad Micas. Pine tar got delivered, the kind that DeeAnna recommends. Ordered some peace silk, pearls, and a few other additives. My dad and stepmom's 10 year anniversary is in two years and I want to make them a few bars of a luxury recipe that I haven't even began to research. I'm going to stamp it with 24k gold powder for his and do something non-metallic but still elegant for hers.

And.....I started using my first batch of soap yesterday. Meh. Hard water here is crying for some EDTA in the soap.
Your slab cutter looks like a piece of mining equipment--lolol....kidding..sounds like your soaps will be lovely.

Latest posts

Back