What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here is the cut of my latest soap. I love that I was able to get the swirls so fine in HP soap but the original blue was meant to be brighter. Unfortunately, the added yogurt turned the batter brown so I had to add white and then blue

wishes3.jpg

Ok here is the cut of my latest soap. I love that I was able to get the swirls so fine in HP soap but the original blue was meant to be brighter. Unfortunately, the added yogurt turned the batter brown so I had to add white and then blue

View attachment 41713

wow absolutely gorgeous HP soap!!!!!!

cut my soap from yesterday--while I wasn't holding out much hope for it, it was worse than I thought. I made it in my sewer pipe and used a pull thru strainer. I used white and yellow. I do believe I should have poured a bit thicker and or I didn't cut my strainer into a nice design--now I am going to have to try with more contrasting colors. I also did not hit it on the counter cuz I forgot to add the bottom support. I wound up with a mis-shapen log and it looks like there was a huge bubble on the bottom side that went up 3 bars high. oh well it smells nice and the colors are okay (just ok) with no discernible design. this post should probably be in the post your gripe section haha

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 41713
HP soap? W.O.W. That looks amazing! Looks like a CP swirl!

I got a single wire soap cutter today!!!! Woo hoo! It is a simple thing I know, but I just cut two loaves of soap and every single bar is the same size, and no slanted cuts. Totally worth the money even for a hobby soaper. I'm so so happy.

ETA: I also rolled soap balls with some of the scraps that were still very soft. I'm going to try an embed project this weekend. Then I may be finished for a while because I'm moving in a month and I don't want to have uncured soap to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I got soap beveled, two batches of sugar scrub made - I would have liked to have three, but I ran out of base (excellent planning skills, this one). I could have made more base last night and made the third batch of scrub tonight, but I was tired and decided to move on to labels. Made labels for about half of what needs to be done.

I'm looking forward to making soap next week.

I just got finished making a batch of black and white soap. I have only ever used black as an accent before, never as the base color. It looks like it is going to be a very dark gray and not inky black. The only black colorant I have is Black Pearl mica from NS and I was afraid to go too heavy on the color. It's okay - it's basically an experiment with some soap ball embeds that I made from leftovers on my last batch. I'm trying to gel it to get the most out of the black. I used more water than I usually do and it is in the oven right now. Fingers crossed.

I'm getting faster at prep and cleanup. It only took me a year and a half to figure out a system lol.

Last edited:
After reading what @runnerchicki and @Dawni are writing about rice in soap, I added rice milk soap to my already long list of things to try. Oh, and I just played around with a new palm rich recipe. I’m happy with my lard, OO and Shea rich recipes, but I’m still working to get a recipe with > 25% palm that I will feel enthusiastic about from a skin feel perspective, how it behaves when I’m making it and how the soap looks when it’s done. I don’t have ready access to tallow, so I’m looking to palm as a way to up the longevity of a soap, but hate steric spots. Next up after that will be to experiment with beeswax and soy for comparison.

I decided to play around with a new recipe, try a new design technique for me, and used some new mica and an oxide. I had used the fragrance before so felt confident that it would behave...it did Tomorrow will either be a happy surprise or a lesson learned. Either way I will have learned something new.

I'm up early today because I'm going to be babysitting my grandson the rest of the weekend. I cut the black & white soap I made yesterday (with my fabulous new cutter from Workshop Heritage). It's not an inky black, but I think it still looks really good and I don't feel the need to go any darker. If my white was whiter it would look even better. The polka dots and base layer are an off-white color. I used 1 tsp. PPO of a black mica (all I had). Can't wait to try it in a few weeks to see if the lather is gray or stays white. I'm going to get some AC and try that next time to compare.

I have to say I am loving everything that I get from Workshop Heritage. They have small WOOD molds all the way up to pro soaper sized molds. The quality is great, and the prices are as well. I'm starting to see their molds being used by soapers all over youtube now. I included pictures of my mini standard and mini TS that I bought from them back in April.

WSH_Cutter.jpg Black_Soap2.jpg Black_Soap.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone. I don't think I'll have time to check the forum. I'll be too busy chasing a 19 month old. :)

I just got glittered bombed by Mad Micas. I put in my first order from there for some bathbomb colors and one jar of glitter and I was so excited when it got here. And then I opened the box and I could see it and I was just like "... on noes"

glitter bomb.jpg

It is EVERYWHERE. In the box, on my hands. The invoice is sparkly. I'M sparkly. But the best part is that they put the dye powder in a little baggie, but not the glitter.

I'm too busy laughing to be mad about it though. Guess it's a good time to go practice my bath bombs.

I've been having so much fun with my new micas, glitters and FOs! I find the selection in Canada limited, so I placed a big (to me) order from the states to make it worthwhile to cross the border. I got micas, glitters and the Really Red pigment from Nurture and they're all so gorgeous and vibrant, and disperse better than any mica's i've used before. The FOs i've used from Rustic Escentuals so far have smelled amazing and soaped beautifully. I'm like a kid in a candy shop today! :nodding:

IMG_0075.jpg
Yesterday afternoon I made a quick batch of my Pachouly soap. By the morning, it was still warm but hard as a rock, so I cut it.

It sells so well here in Central México where people have no preconceived notions about it reminding them of the 60's like people do in the States. Men love this soap and women love men who love it!

I said I was swirl challenged, but you people have inspired me, so I tried adding extra Black Walnut powder to about 1/3 of the soap at trace, then alternated pouring it and stirring a little. I think it worked fine and there is Powdered Vanill Bean to add flecks. All my soap has to have flecks!

made my first batch of GM using the ice cube method---I don't know what I was so scared of--it went really well, I used ylang ylang which is supposed to discolor to light yellow and accelerate. it did discolor but I used that as the color and since I didn't know what to expect I didn't do any swirls. But I would of had plenty of time to. its in the freezer now so hopefully it wont do partial gel, keeping my fingers crossed :)
I also made a beer soap

Latest posts

Back