What soapy thing have you done today?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by FlybyStardancer, Feb 12, 2014.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Dec 31, 2014 #1,321

JuneP

JuneP

JuneP

Mold project

Today I made a small, one pound mold using some of the the coroplastic I bought at Lowe's hardware the other day. Tomorrow I'll use the same sheet to made a few dividers for my two pound and larger mold. I realized after I made the cuts and folds, that I didn't make it a bit bigger as I had planned, even though I measure right! The original silicone one is only 4" long, so I thought if I made it 4 1/2" long that would still give me 4 bars after trimming the ends. Unfortunately I found out that because of the thickness of the material, I should have made it closer to 5" long to get it to measure out 4 1/2".

Yesterday I bought a right angle ruler, to make measuring for new mold patterns go a lot easier and faster. Tomorrow I'll try to make a small, tall skinny mold, big enough for just 5 bars of soap.

June

denisedh likes this.
  2. Dec 31, 2014 #1,322

rainycityjen

rainycityjen

rainycityjen

Experimented with Usnea lichen as a colorant. Infused it in oils via crockpot and also put it in lye, then strained it out. Right now it looks very unimpressively yellow, versus the nice light green or olivine color I was looking for. But we shall see.

3. Dec 31, 2014 #1,323

Cookie

Cookie

Cookie

I had a huge soaping day today.......no really........I bought a potato peeler to clean up my soap and some wood skewers I am going to try some swirls with.......told ya I had a big day.......I spent about $3.50........:crazy::wave::clap::thumbup:
    Oh, and I looked at my curing soap and counted weeks......

denisedh likes this.
  4. Dec 31, 2014 #1,324

Ruthie

Ruthie

Ruthie

Made my last batch til my WSP order gets here. It shipped on Monday and should be here Friday. So I trimmed, wrapped and labeled some soaps. We do what we can to stay soapy-busy.

5. Dec 31, 2014 #1,325

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

I had no intention of ordering anything for a while.

But since y'all brought it to my attention, I just had to take a peek at the WSP sale. And of course that got me interested in placing an order for some items I've been wanting even though I'd resolved to wait for a bit. But WSP didn't have some of the specific items I had on my shopping list, so I checked a few other places and found who carried the products I wanted. Just for information only, of course.

And so, even though I really had no intention of ordering anything for awhile, I placed an order at LotionCrafter anyways.

You guys are a bad influence. :shifty:

snappyllama, JuneP, Ruthie and 2 others like this.
  6. Dec 31, 2014 #1,326

snappyllama

snappyllama

snappyllama

Supporting Member

I spent waaay too much at WSP sale yesterday. It started innocently enough with "I'll just grab some SLSA and a couple of oils - that should hit the $40 minimum". It ended with "Ohhh, I can get another free FO sample if I get just $5 more". Ahem. I'm officially a FO junkie.

JuneP, Ruthie and reinbeau like this.
  7. Dec 31, 2014 #1,327

dneruck

dneruck

dneruck

Don't you need to spend over $150 to get that free FO? That's waaay over that $40 minimum lol.

I spent way too much too and I have to ship internationally. I had what I needed in the cart way before the sale but I kept saying "let's see what else is on sale" :/

snappyllama likes this.
  8. Dec 31, 2014 #1,328

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

No soapmaking for a couple months now....but, tomorrow going to make my shave soap and work on batch (try) #5 of liquid soap. Hopefully will make soap on Friday and Saturday. I need to restock so much right now. Not complaining though as it was a really good year.

Ruthie likes this.
  9. Dec 31, 2014 #1,329

Sonya-m

Sonya-m

Sonya-m

I had my 2nd attempt at a peacock swirl, not perfect but happy as its only my 6th batch

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420041269.723857.jpg

mintle, froggybean37 and denisedh like this.
  10. Dec 31, 2014 #1,330

froggybean37

froggybean37

froggybean37

Love LOVE the colours, Sonya-m! Also - have never ordered from WSP before - what is this sale? Is it still on?

11. Dec 31, 2014 #1,331

alongsoak

alongsoak

alongsoak

I'm on vacation so I'm having a soap filled week! Just cut a batch I made yesterday (first time using Dead Sea Mud) and will be whipping up a new batch today (trying out an Apple Pie fragrance. yum.).

I love soaping. I wish I could just quit my job and soap all the time. lol :shifty:

12. Dec 31, 2014 #1,332

JuneP

JuneP

JuneP

Buy, spend, morning

Spent last night and part of this morning shopping for supplies and ordering from three suppliers. I'll have several new micas and other colorants, more fragrances and other things here soon. I also ordered some Bamboo silk, kaolin clay and some oils.

When the family heads back to California tomorrow morning, I'll catch up with things here at the house, and then decide what soap I want to make next. Today I'm making a small, 6 bar, tall, skinny, coroplastic mold.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  13. Dec 31, 2014 #1,333

JuneP

JuneP

JuneP

Lol

I totally understand, since I did the same thing there last night. The extra items brought me into the free gift page, so I picked a glitter.

snappyllama and denisedh like this.
  14. Jan 1, 2015 #1,334

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

Thought I was going to do a nice swirl tonight but instead ended up with an uncolored lilac. Also determined my husband hates lilac. Its now sitting outside.

Need to figure out a good scent to use with these colors I mixed up now...

MarisaJensen likes this.
  15. Jan 2, 2015 #1,335

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

bucket swirl with alkanet and of course white. It is my first of bucket swirl so I do not know if it would be good enough to upload a pic. I think it is a nice way of starting a New year:)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  16. Jan 2, 2015 #1,336

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

Waiting impatiently to unmold my swirled soap. It's still way too soft.

So I made my new shampoo bar.

17. Jan 2, 2015 #1,337

jules92207

jules92207

jules92207

Lifetime Supporter

Also went and met a local supplier, super nice guy! Now I have a local resource for bulk lye, citric acid, palm oil, pko, shea butter, and coconut oil!

denisedh and MarisaJensen like this.
  18. Jan 2, 2015 #1,338

hlee

hlee

hlee

I cut two soaps I made yesterday.
    One is an orange/yuzu dropped swirl . I'm happy with the way this one looks and smells.
    The other was a black/chai tea and I tried a slab mold and sort of a peacock swirl for the first time. This one turned out ok except it is cut in chunks and they are kind of too big for me.
    I think it might have black bubbles also, not good.
    It was fun though.:)

19. Jan 4, 2015 #1,339

xraygrl

xraygrl

xraygrl

Getting ready to make a soap with coconut water, coconut milk, and scent it with coconut fo. :smile: Going to hp this one, no color though.

20. Jan 4, 2015 #1,340

lenarenee

lenarenee

lenarenee

Supporting Member

Since returning from Christmas travels I had the house to myself for 4 glorious soapy days....except for the fact that I had only one 2 lb mold....and the waiting involved. Looking forward to the wsp order with another mold.

Made aloe/carrot, fir needle/euc/lav drop swirl with 3 blues, bb's blackberry sage (LOVE this fo!) purple/green/white drop swirl, bb's omh soap with added real milk, honey and oatmeal. It stinks. Like old plastic; so I added clove eo to try to help it. We'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted