What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my stearic acid last night. I must have fallen in love with the per pound price cause today I'm staring at 8 lbs of SA wondering how many lifetimes this will last me.
Haha, I did the same thing! Mine came a couple of days ago along with a ton of shea butter, some OO, and palm oil. I spent too much and got more product than I need, but those per pound prices are so hypnotic!

I added items to my BB cart, realized I'm spending way too much money, moved other items to my wishlist, then realized I TOTALLY "need" some product I've never used before. Perhaps eventually I'll actually place this order. I just hope it's not $800 worth of stuff when that happens :roll:

I made a manly man soap, the FO is called Prime for Men, I just adore it, even if it is a bit of a racehorse.

1420852184535.jpg

I made a new soap for the upcoming Valentines day. I think it turned out quite well.

Love it, Dale. Unfortunately mine did not turn out so pretty. My hearts sank and that was the last of my rose fo. Guess I'll have to decide on another scent, especially since my pink mica has finally arrived....

Today I made shaving soaps...my son wanted purple so that's what I tried to do....hoping it turns out
And I cut my pink and yellow semi swirled soapImageUploadedBySoap Making1420940024.645891.jpg

Made two batches today. A lavender and orange with some more colors and swirls which I hope will be good enough to use in a swap, and a vanilla clove soap.

Many months ago I was trying to find a good vanilla clove blend and mixed several vanilla fos but didn't take very good notes. A couple months ago I tried my first 100% coconut oil soap and used one of those blends and love the scent. So now I have to make three batches to figure out which vanilla it was.

I acknowledged my failures in making three batches of soap. They were all CP and really soft when I removed them from the molds. I cut two of them (a olive soap and a gm soap) horribly crooked. My third soap may not be as much as a fail, but I can only wonder if I used too much charcoal (1tsp for the pound).

I'll be glad for the next set of mistakes to arise as it' always a lesson learned.

Lesson learned: I had to calculate the lye amount manually when I made my GM soap. When I ran my recipe through soapcalc.net, I found that the amount of lye I used to offset the fat content from the milk equated to a 5 percent discount. My soap was accidentally SF by 10 percent. :( Happy happy, joy joy!

Last edited:
I cut out some clear polypropylene sheeting to line my slab mould. It's an experiment to see if I can keep reusing it instead of having to line with paper every time. Will be having a go at soaping in it tomorrow.

Over the weekend I got started on my multi wire cutter. Spent about $30 and 2 days playing with wood and hand tools. (I'm not alowed near the power tools after "the incident" ;) ) Just waiting on my tuning pegs to arrive so I can get the wires in. Yay no more cutting 1 peice at time

Selling. A friend is looking to go all natural with her bath/body products so I've been busy on FB telling her why my soap is what she needs. She's asked for scents (e.o. of course) so I think I'm close to a sale. Won't be a big one, but she knows a lot of people all over the state, so it may lead to more.

Meanwhile I NEED to make soap, but we still have no hot water in the kitchen. City workers bent our cut off valve at the street so we could not get the water off to fix the kitchen valve. Called them but they still have not come to do their part. So I may relent to carrying soap dishes and washing them in the bathtub. At present we are carrying water in a tub from the bathtub to wash dishes. :(

Can you not buy a cheap electric kettle? It will only boil fairly small amounts of water but it will be so hot you can easily dilute it with cold and get lots of water hot enough to do dishes.

I've made batches of my 2 lowest inventory bars this week. Also I'm coming up with a new bar to test new ingredients and essential oils I ordered for fun. It's been a fun soap week, prepping things for the new year.

Back