What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red-letter day for Vine & Branches Soapworks, LLC
happy-feet-penguin.gif
:hippo::hippo::hippo:
:dance:

I've been pondering my next batch...
Time for a confetti batch methinks.

Me too. I’m completely out of activated charcoal soap, and several people are asking for more—thinking of using hemp oil in it this time as the super fat. I also need to just suck it up and make some goat’s milk soap—not my thing, but customers expect it—maybe lavender-vanilla.

First, I’m about to run down to the local farmer’s market where I hope to sell in a couple of weeks to check it out. I’ll try to snap some photos to see what y’all think.

Later gators! Have a great day.

They’re simply breathtaking! I love the colors! Are those melt and pour embeds I think I see?

Nope no Melt and Pour, Just HP Soap. I did 2 colors of green, one in the soap and then one for the Mica Lines.

Pay Day yesterday so Of course, I ordered supplies. Some sample containers, a new mold, clear labels etc.

I have to make laundry soap today because we are almost out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody, this is my first post on your website. Yesterday I let my daughter put together a gift basket. It had laundry soap, shaving soap, fragrance soap, and a scrubbing soap. The scrub soap was a honey almond, the shave soap uses sandalwood EO and leather scent, the fragrance soap was called gardenia and lime, using EO and synthetic scents. It was nice to be able to make the gift basket and I mostly use the soaps for gifting.

Attachments

• 8C35666D-C2C2-4AC0-B89C-3E28B2E5C732.jpeg
    8C35666D-C2C2-4AC0-B89C-3E28B2E5C732.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 34
Hello everybody, this is my first post on your website. Yesterday I let my daughter put together a gift basket. It had laundry soap, shaving soap, fragrance soap, and a scrubbing soap. The scrub soap was a honey almond, the shave soap uses sandalwood EO and leather scent, the fragrance soap was called gardenia and lime, using EO and synthetic scents. It was nice to be able to make the gift basket and I mostly use the soaps for gifting.
That basket looks awesome! Welcome to the forum

Much to report. I visited the local farmer’s market this morning. It was opening weekend and busy. I estimate about 75 vendors —about half produce and other food products on one side with the other side being dedicated to arts and crafts. The facility is operated by the MS Dept. Of Agriculture, fairly new and very well maintained. It is partially open-air with roll-down doors and A/C which is important here if you plan to have customers after 10 a.m. in the summer. Janice and I ran into over a dozen friends in the 1st hour we were there.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dF5XW_SdstCBR354K6n6A2JQ#Jackson,_MS

The only soaps being offered were by a local honey farmer - bee’s wax with the first two ingredients listed as castor oil and shea butter — interesting formulation, but then again, I’ve never worked with bee’s wax, so who am I to criticize?

I turned in my vendor application and sample products and visited with the manager. More importantly, I met a local organic beef farmer from the neighboring rural county in which I just happen to manage the local hospital. They have just built and opened a store a 1/4 mile from my office. He offered to sell my soaps in his store on consignment!!! I’ve really been praying about whether or not this is something I am being called to do given that I have an already busy life. That, my friends, is what I call a “total God-thing” in terms of confirmation.

Last edited:
Much to report. I visited the local farmer’s market this morning. It was opening weekend and busy. I estimate about 75 vendors —about half produce and other food products on one side with the other side being dedicated to arts and crafts. The facility is operated by the MS Dept. Of Agriculture, fairly new and very well maintained. It is partially open-air with roll-down doors and A/C which is important here if you plan to have customers after 10 a.m. in the summer. Janice and I ran into over a dozen friends in the 1st hour we were there.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dF5XW_SdstCBR354K6n6A2JQ#Jackson,_MS

The only soaps being offered were by a local honey farmer - bee’s wax with the first two ingredients listed as castor oil and shea butter — interesting formulation, but then again, I’ve never worked with bee’s wax, so who am I to criticize.

I turned in my vendor application and sample products and visited with the manager. More importantly, I met a local organic beef farmer from the neighboring rural county in which I just happen to manage the local hospital. They have just built and opened a store a 1/4 mile from my office. He offered to sell my soaps in his store on consignment!!! I’ve really been praying about whether or not this is something I am being called to do given that I have an already busy life. That, my friends, is what I call a “total God-thing” in terms of confirmation.
Yes it is and congratulations!

Just finished my liquid soap paste for Laundry soap. Starting the dilution process now.

Last edited:
I tried making Zany's no slime Castile soap recipe today! The color was gorgeous and I was happy with the texture when I poured it, so really looking forward to unmolding it and seeing how it turns out.

The basket is lovely, but I have to question the use of Sandalwood EO. The very cheapest I have seen for Australian Sandalwood is $700 per lb and East Indian Sandalwood is around 2k per lb. I am guessing you are using Fragrance or you are using Amyris which is not a Sandalwood although some refer to it as West Indian Sandalwood. Just thought I would make mention of it so you label products correctly. Even the East Indian Government, (unless it has changed), controls making Sandalwood soap and use mostly or all fragrance.

What I got done today was a batch of Cedar, Sage and Blackberry (from RE), Blackberry Scone also from RE, a batch of Spicy Ginger and Verbena, Lavender & Vanilla, Caribbean Pineapple, and and Roses & Violets from NG. What a lucky day, no problems until the last batch which accelerated quickly, but manage to get it into the mold okay. Yeah, no gremlins clicking-your-heels-smiley-emoticon.gif

Churned out 2 batches plus a bonus:
  1. Back by popular demand - Activated Charcoal/Kaolin Clay. This time in a Taiwan style bar scented with tea tree and lavender essential oils.
  2. ”Milk and Honey” Goat’s Milk soap scented with lavender EO, vanilla and honey-almond FO in a drop swirl. To be honest, I don’t really care for goat’s milk. It’s fussy to work with due to the scorching/chilling/partial gel risk and whatnot. And the finished smell is a bit rich for my tastes. I can get the same rich lather results in a nice white bar using coconut milk. But, if I’m going to sell at farmer’s markets, I’m guessing a goat’s milk bar is sort of the “union card.” I used stabilizer to tame the vanilla, but I think one of the colors may have morphed a bit. (One of these days I’m going to finally give up on that CC matte purple—it’s the Charlie Brown/Lucy/Football scenario of soaping.)
  3. The bonus is a Dead Sea Salt Scrub. It was an experiment and my first experience with a salt scrub. I used 2 parts fine Dead Sea salt to 1 part avocado oil with a few drops of lemon and rosemary EOs. I also added Meyer lemon zest and juice from our surprise late harvest (they usually ripen during the holidays) and finely chopped/pulverized rosemary and thyme from our garden boxes. I tried it with skepticism, expecting greasy hands that I’d then need to turn around and wash, but I was absolutely amazed. I rubbed a scant 1/4 teaspoon in my hands front and back, and it just disappeared. My hands felt clean and soft and smelled great with no rinsing needed. Janice assumed I’d bought it at the farmer’s market earlier and said it looked like an oily mess. She tried it and had the same reaction as mine. If you haven’t tried it, do. I’ll be making more.
Clearly more than you wanted to know about my day. :computerbath: Sorry.

Churned out 2 batches plus a bonus:
  1. Back by popular demand - Activated Charcoal/Kaolin Clay. This time in a Taiwan style bar scented with tea tree and lavender essential oils.
  2. ”Milk and Honey” Goat’s Milk soap scented with lavender EO, vanilla and honey-almond FO in a drop swirl. To be honest, I don’t really care for goat’s milk. It’s fussy to work with due to the scorching/chilling/partial gel risk and whatnot. And the finished smell is a bit rich for my tastes. I can get the same rich lather results in a nice white bar using coconut milk. But, if I’m going to sell at farmer’s markets, I’m guessing a goat’s milk bar is sort of the “union card.” I used stabilizer to tame the vanilla, but I think one of the colors may have morphed a bit. (One of these days I’m going to finally give up on that CC matte purple—it’s the Charlie Brown/Lucy/Football scenario of soaping.)
  3. The bonus is a Dead Sea Salt Scrub. It was an experiment and my first experience with a salt scrub. I used 2 parts fine Dead Sea salt to 1 part avocado oil with a few drops of lemon and rosemary EOs. I also added Meyer lemon zest and juice from our surprise late harvest (they usually ripen during the holidays) and finely chopped/pulverized rosemary and thyme from our garden boxes. I tried it with skepticism, expecting greasy hands that I’d then need to turn around and wash, but I was absolutely amazed. I rubbed a scant 1/4 teaspoon in my hands front and back, and it just disappeared. My hands felt clean and soft and smelled great with no rinsing needed. Janice assumed I’d bought it at the farmer’s market earlier and said it looked like an oily mess. She tried it and had the same reaction as mine. If you haven’t tried it, do. I’ll be making more.
Clearly more than you wanted to know about my day. :computerbath: Sorry.

Lovely!

Unmolded and cut my Castile soap today, and very happy with it!

Also went to BB&B to get a new set of measuring spoons and cups specifically for soapmaking, and to take a look at stainless steel pots. They didn't have the size I wanted, so I'll go back later when I get another coupon. Looking forward to the possibility of being able to soap in larger quantities, especially because my birthday is coming up and I'm expecting to get some larger molds... :)

Latest posts

Back