What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What female shaves her legs every day for 365 days in a row?
I don't know about shaving my legs every day, but I have a bar of castile in my shower that I use for washing my face, neck (front and back) and behind my ears daily that's going on almost 6 months (and I probably have used 1/4 of it). I figure the amount I'm lathering up with is about what I would use to shave one leg, so yeah... it seems legit to me! Well, if she shaves like I do - I only shave my calves, my thighs don't really have hair. [apologies if that was TMI] In the summer when I wear capris every day, I shave at every shower, but it's just a quick busk around each leg. If I miss something today, I'll probably hit it tomorrow and no one will even notice. Except that one stripe down the back of my right leg that I will miss every.single.time.

Over the weekend I had an incredibly good show that wiped out about 3/4 of my stock. So now I'm fighting the urge to spend all the money I made, lol. Although I do need to put in an order for large jars for foaming sugar scrub, as those were a huge hit, but I'm waiting on WSP to have the jars back in stock. So today I'm putting my stock back in order, picking up beer from the brewery, and then making my to do list for wholesale, custom orders, and restock items. I have to update soap qty on Etsy and my website, and get soap back to the Peddlers Market. Hopefully will be making soap tomorrow.

Over the weekend I met a lady with a 3D printer, so she's going to make me some custom dividers for doing Taiwan Swirls. (Hubby makes my molds so I haven't found anything that works with my molds. Cardboard works good on the 6" molds, but not so much for the 12 and 24" molds, so I need something sturdy.)

I don't know about shaving my legs every day, but I have a bar of castile in my shower that I use for washing my face, neck (front and back) and behind my ears daily that's going on almost 6 months (and I probably have used 1/4 of it). I figure the amount I'm lathering up with is about what I would use to shave one leg, so yeah... it seems legit to me! Well, if she shaves like I do - I only shave my calves, my thighs don't really have hair. [apologies if that was TMI] In the summer when I wear capris every day, I shave at every shower, but it's just a quick busk around each leg. If I miss something today, I'll probably hit it tomorrow and no one will even notice. Except that one stripe down the back of my right leg that I will miss every.single.time.

Over the weekend I had an incredibly good show that wiped out about 3/4 of my stock. So now I'm fighting the urge to spend all the money I made, lol. Although I do need to put in an order for large jars for foaming sugar scrub, as those were a huge hit, but I'm waiting on WSP to have the jars back in stock. So today I'm putting my stock back in order, picking up beer from the brewery, and then making my to do list for wholesale, custom orders, and restock items. I have to update soap qty on Etsy and my website, and get soap back to the Peddlers Market. Hopefully will be making soap tomorrow.

Over the weekend I met a lady with a 3D printer, so she's going to make me some custom dividers for doing Taiwan Swirls. (Hubby makes my molds so I haven't found anything that works with my molds. Cardboard works good on the 6" molds, but not so much for the 12 and 24" molds, so I need something sturdy.)

That's great that you will soon have some custom dividers for your molds soon. That's fabulous!
Congratulations on your incredibly good show, too. It's hard not to feel that money burning a hole in your pocket, isn't it?

Oh, BTW, I started my soap batch to use up some oils; not a lot of progress, so far, but a start.

Anyway, I decided to do a little experiment with alkanet powder. I am trying some as a lye additive and some in water to see what results I get. I know I used it before, but without looking back at notes, I don't really recall anything spectacular, but I know for sure I didn't use it in lye solution. So this time, I am videotaping the process so my documentation will be easier to find (hopefully).

Last edited:
Over the weekend I sent out my second newsletter, activated an online sale on some bars I'm looking to move out of inventory, cut two loaves into bars, and signed up for my second-ever craft fair. Its not until November, but I already feel behind...time to ramp up production!

Shave your legs? What is that ?? hahahahhahaha
I use electric so no soapy on the legs for that... and anyway , we have WINTER here. That means a at Least a 5 month break, 7 if you can stretch it that far;)

off to stamp boxes...

While I was making soap for my brother, he called to tell me about our other brother having a heart attack. I just got off the phone with my SIL. He had was working at his Smithy demonstration when the excruciating pain began and luckily he was around a lot of people who made sure he went by ambulance to the closest hospital, where he had a stent put in. He is doing well right now and awaiting transfer to the cardiac ICU, where he will stay for a couple of days.

We were all really surprised as among all our siblings, he is one of the seemingly most healthy. We all pretty much don't know what to think. But of course, we are all happy he is doing well and had immediate treatment.

Today I didn't do any practical soaping, but I made a soaping wish list of equipment and oils I want to try! I might just have to indulge in some soapy shopping this week to make a dent in it.

The list includes more molds, a better scale, a proper soap pot, shea butter (to compare with cocoa butter and decide which I like better), PKO flakes to experiment with replacing coconut oil for my sensitive skin, and hazelnut oil to slow trace and do some swirls/complex designs.

While I was making soap for my brother, he called to tell me about our other brother having a heart attack. I just got off the phone with my SIL. He had was working at his Smithy demonstration when the excruciating pain began and luckily he was around a lot of people who made sure he went by ambulance to the closest hospital, where he had a stent put in. He is doing well right now and awaiting transfer to the cardiac ICU, where he will stay for a couple of days.

We were all really surprised as among all our siblings, he is one of the seemingly most healthy. We all pretty much don't know what to think. But of course, we are all happy he is doing well and had immediate treatment.

Sending good thoughts for him and your family. So glad he got quick treatment.

Please dont combine this with my last post, that ones needs to stand by itself please.

I got all my accidentally ordered supplies today and Ive been having a blast experimenting with lip balm flavors. I also got a new soap mold I intended to take for a test drive but before I knew it, hours had passed and it seems a bit late now.

Today I didn't do any practical soaping, but I made a soaping wish list of equipment and oils I want to try! I might just have to indulge in some soapy shopping this week to make a dent in it.

The list includes more molds, a better scale, a proper soap pot, shea butter (to compare with cocoa butter and decide which I like better), PKO flakes to experiment with replacing coconut oil for my sensitive skin, and hazelnut oil to slow trace and do some swirls/complex designs.
Hey Hawksy, have you thought of using more OO (not pomace) to slow your trace? I’m not sure about the USA but it’s way cheaper here than hazelnut oil.
I also use soy wax (although from what I understand it’s not so popular in the USA) as a replacement for so much Shea to keep costs down. I just use about 10 or even 5% Shea now. Cocoa butter is nice but it was too expensive for me (I’m palm free so needed something as a hardener) which is why I moved to Soy which is about 1/4 of the price.

DAB1AF2B-6083-4DF8-8AE1-6CC12C194C37.jpeg F4C893C3-3DBB-4DE3-8FE8-7E6E07F12F73.jpeg
KiwiMoose,

I usually mix my colors in a separate little cup with a bit of oil, and add as needed, specially if I am not familiar with the color yet. It cuts down on disappointment after all that hard work. It looks great from here. I hope you share the cut. Would love to see it.
Your wish is my command ;)

I've been wanting to try the pour/pull through technique and I found this sink caddy at Walmart so I cut it up to make it fit a Pringles can. Probably will try that later this week once my 15 FO's get here............

Also, as a bonus, the outer rim of that caddy has a wire in it and I was able to save it to make a hanger tool! Today I might prepare a couple batches of oils so I'm all ready to go once my goodies arrive :)

@earlene so sorry to hear about your brother! It must have been a bit scary for all of you. Sending hugs and prayers your way for a speedy recovery. Because he's so healthy, hopefully that means his recovery time will be quick.

Today's to do list:
Make lye solution for brewery soaps
Do dishes
Make two batches of beer soap if lye solution is cool enough
Lay in hammock with hubby

Prayers for your Brother's quick recovery. You just never know who is going to have issues. Heart Attacks are very scary.

I nearly had a soaping catastrophe yesterday. I made my Aloe & Eucalyptus soap and it just did not want to trace in a timely fashion so I poured at barely emulsion. The reason I stopped Stick Blending is I did not want to liquify the fresh aloe. Anyways, I wanted to get it in the crate, I set on a heat pad, as quick as possible in case the emulsion did not hold. Since I had the flu last Dec, I am light headed and woozy most of the time. Doc says it is not connected but I question it because it was not a previous issue. I thought I was carefully carrying the very thin batter in the mold when I swayed and hit the door going into my room. Yup, raw batter slopped out on my hands and on the floor, not a huge amount but still messy. Thankfully it did not spill on my hardwood floor but on my old asphalt tile flooring. I had extra batter so was able to fill the mold up and it really did not hurt my swirl :D, and got it all washed off me before any burns.

I've been wanting to try the pour/pull through technique and I found this sink caddy at Walmart so I cut it up to make it fit a Pringles can. Probably will try that later this week once my 15 FO's get here............

Cool, steffamarie. I hope you try the pull-through method first. Here's why: I got such nicer designs using the Pull-through than with the pour-through. I tried the pour-through method first and was so disappointed with the results I got that didn't even try the pull-through until almost a year.

Prayers for your Brother's quick recovery. You just never know who is going to have issues. Heart Attacks are very scary.

I nearly had a soaping catastrophe yesterday. I made my Aloe & Eucalyptus soap and it just did not want to trace in a timely fashion so I poured at barely emulsion. The reason I stopped Stick Blending is I did not want to liquify the fresh aloe. Anyways, I wanted to get it in the crate, I set on a heat pad, as quick as possible in case the emulsion did not hold. Since I had the flu last Dec, I am light headed and woozy most of the time. Doc says it is not connected but I question it because it was not a previous issue. I thought I was carefully carrying the very thin batter in the mold when I swayed and hit the door going into my room. Yup, raw batter slopped out on my hands and on the floor, not a huge amount but still messy. Thankfully it did not spill on my hardwood floor but on my old asphalt tile flooring. I had extra batter so was able to fill the mold up and it really did not hurt my swirl :D, and got it all washed off me before any burns.

I am sorry to learn about your unsteadiness. That must be very disconcerting and worrisome. I hope your doctor is planning on looking into it a bit more. Perhaps it is inner ear related?

A few days ago, while wiping down my soaping dishes with a paper towel, I realized I had a hole in my glove and my thumb was covered in dark colored soap batter and under my thumbnail. I was really concerned that with it under my nail like that, that I'd be in big trouble. Obviously I quit what I was doing and washed my hands and soaked that thumb in cool water for a very long time. Thankfully I experienced no damage and luckily there were no skin breaks under my nail to start with. It that had been the case, I probably would have had some pretty negative effects.

@earlene so sorry to hear about your brother! It must have been a bit scary for all of you. Sending hugs and prayers your way for a speedy recovery. Because he's so healthy, hopefully that means his recovery time will be quick.

Earlene, I hope all is well with your brother. Prayers and speedy recovery.

Thank you, all of you, for your prayers, thoughts and well wishes. My SIL could really use them as well. We spoke for a very long time this morning, and her anxiety level is way up right now. Sometimes when your loved one is in this situation, being a nurse can be a double-edged sword. And she also has her own problems to deal with (don't we all?) that is just increasing her anxiety. When her anxiety level increased it affects my brother, and of course she knows that, but it doesn't change things. Right now, she's really worried about money and stressing over the unknowns facing them.

I lost my second husband to his second heart attack. I don't talk about it much, but I do bring it up when anyone I care about decides to ignore doctor's orders or pick and choose which parts of the treatment regimen to follow. If he had not tampered with the doctor's treatment, he would have not died when he did. I will remind my brother of that if and when it seems appropriate.

Cool, steffamarie. I hope you try the pull-through method first. Here's why: I got such nicer designs using the Pull-through than with the pour-through. I tried the pour-through method first and was so disappointed with the results I got that didn't even try the pull-through until almost a year.

I think that's what I'll do. I've seen a few videos on YouTube recently of people doing it that way and I really liked their results.

In other news, I made a salt soap loaf today and managed to not screw up the cutting too badly! I unmolded 2 hours after I poured it and it was still pretty soft and squishy, but firm enough to handle the cutter. Smells like fresh citrus! Also I tried a ribbon pour (only two colors cuz, y'know, salt bars) and it turned out beautifully. All in all a pretty good soaping day for me!!

Back