What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far today, I cut, trimmed & photographed soap all before 6:30 am. Then uploaded photos & posted to the Challenge entry thread here and voted at Soap Challenge Club. Now I am catching up on reading forum posts before cleaning some soaping dishes. Then I plan on making another batch of soap. And put away some supplies, I hope.

My WSP delivery is due via UPS today (the one that I got someone else's stuff & they had to re-order) so that'll be fun. I love opening packages. And my planer from Lee Valley is due tomorrow. So more soap beveling tomorrow. I am super excited about that.

But Hubby is off work today & tomorrow, so not sure how much soap related stuff I'll get done with him here. I tend to avoid making soap when he might need to wander through my space to get coffee or a snack, etc.

I thought about soaping, does that count? :lol:Of course it did not happen, since I had to go to the cemetery and finish up getting a plot market and Death Certs that my sister (her dad), did not manage to do. Should tick her off royally that I have the DC's, and I ordered the marker I wanted. Oh well.... Y'all will probably remember this has been since the end of Jan.

Wanted to try out some new techniques and new ways to add colorant today.

I think I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sandalwood Rose fragrance.

Hot processed, as usual.

PhotoPictureResizer_190528_180420975_crop_3380x2134-1352x854.jpg

I tend to avoid making soap when he might need to wander through my space to get coffee or a snack, etc.
LOL Same here. Doncha hate that?! Can't live with 'em; can't live without 'em. But why oh why can't they be more like us? I wouldn't wander through your space (or his, for that matter) when you're into your soap zone... wouldn't even consider it.

Soaping Goal for the Day: Correct the oopsie I posted on the Gripes Thread. In a "senior moment" of lapsed concentration, I poured melted coconut oil into an opened, half empty, bottle of olive oil sitting next to the scale instead of back into its container. :eek: I wrote down the net weight of the CO. Now I have to calculate the weight of the OO before figuring out what I'm going to do with it. Then it will be "cross-fingers time" to see if the formula works. :D
It didn't take long to figure out that my Oopsie Oil contained 51% CO and 49% OO. I spent a couple of days ruminating about what to make with it. Of course, the easiest thing would have been to make LS. But noooo :shakinghead: I couldn't make it easy on myself.

I really wanted to try a couple of variations on the No Slime Castile. I was able to fomulate 64 oz of the recipe by simply adding a lot more OO, and some castor. Then I divided the batch into two 32 oz. batches -- one made with citric acid, and one made with comfrey infused sunflower oil -- to test my theory that seawater or brine leaches natural colorants out of the finished soap.

Sounds simple enough, but it's been ages since I made hard soap. My daddy was a carpenter and one of the life lessons he taught me was "measure twice; saw once." So there was a whole lotta measuring going on -- and doin' the math made my head hurt! LOL But the soaps got made. Can't help but wonder what the dawn will bring... :D

Cross Fingers.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4 colored clays I want to use in my next experiments, thinking of the banana soap I mentioned I wanted to try, with the yellow kaolin I have. If I have time I might do that today..

Wanted to try out some new techniques and new ways to add colorant today.

I think I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sandalwood Rose fragrance.

Hot processed, as usual.

View attachment 39292
Lovely! I love seeing pretty HP soap :D

Thanks Lin19687 I appreciate your post. I did use a very small % but I will do some research and make sure I feel safe with this before letting her have it for her dog. I wouldn’t want to be responsible if something bad happened. Thanks again for your input.:
Hi Heidi,
I also make a neem oil soap for my doggies - and I did avoid any mint EOs after doing a bit of research. I also don't use Tea Tree because there seems to be two opposing camps on using that with dogs too. I ended up using a blend of: Sweet orange, Cedarwood, Bergamot and May Chang. The thing is - it's very easy to find a lot of conflicting information about any EO. I think, as you say, if you are blending oils there will only be a small amount of any one, so you can only try. I've seen commercially made dog soap with Tea Tree in it, and they sell tons!

I was able to soap for the first time in ages today! I decided to try a few new things: tweaked my base recipe a bit (including adding borage oil!), and tried using colorants to create an ombre effect - I used orange EO, paprika, and cayenne to create layers of orange.

One thing I struggled with was making the colors distinct enough. I had originally planned to add orange EO to all 3 layers, paprika to the middle layer, and twice the paprika to the darkest layer. But the middle and darkest layer looked identical to me, and I didn't want the colors to blend too much, so I added a few shakes of paprika to the darkest layer to hopefully make it distinct.

It's insulated now, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back