What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to motivate myself to make soap today, and it is not going well. I cannot believe I have 6 bars of DB left and it is one of my best sellers. Spring show coming up early in May and soap is seriously low. I should Never run out of DB, Mango Papaya or Bonsai. All are top sellers. Need to make 25 lbs of DB...

You can do it....might keep your mind occupied on something else for a change. Do something for you!

well I seem to be avoiding soaping today! I need to finish some soaps for a friends wedding party, I got part of it done but just got the other fragrance yesterday. I finally had to quit my part time job cuz my feet aren't getting much better so I have more time but instead of using it for soaping I decided to give the dog a bath and haircut. its early yet so after a break I will make the soap. I also wanna try the ying/yang soap also but maybe another day

I cut my soap today. Super chuffed at how the swirls turned out. I used Dragon's Blood FO and thought it might discolour but it doesn't seem to have (yet?).
I'm 3 months into my soaping journey and totally hooked!!
This soap is lard, CO, OO, cocoa butter, SWA, castor oil. Smells like Indian incense. Love it!
View attachment 37748
This is a work of art! Frame it!!

I think all you need is the goo, the catalyst, and something leak-proof (and possibly disposable) to pour the whole mess in. @IrishLass uses Alumilite High Strength-3 silicone (which Kevin Devine calls rubber). I haven't priced the Alumilite but I think that will be the bulk of the cost. ETA: a 1 pound can is $27.50 from the manufacturer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For soap you need to use two part addition cure silicone.
If you are using clay you need sulphur free clay or the silicone won't set.
OR
You can make soap dough and cut the shapes out with fondant cookie cutters. Like these:
https://tinyurl.com/y2772xhe

I took photos of soap, with the intention to post them on this forum. I should never have done. I borrowed my dad's phone, since it have a great camera. Pictures were clear, nice. But then, it was impossible to transfer them to my Macbook. Direct wired connedtion did not work, Bluetooth doesn't work, mail the same, MMS exactly the same. Error, error all over. I have found out that Apple have blocked other brands, so if you own a Macbook and a Samsung phone, then you will be forced to buy an Iphone. There can't be other explanations. Whatever I put in my USB ports pops up on the screen, even cheap chinese crap bought from Aliexpress, but not that Samsung phone, no. I guess that is how Apple deal with competitors.

Apple made me go online and looking for a newer Iphone than the old piece of antique I have. So it works. They did force me into buying a new phone. But I will not, I will buy a second hand one.

So no soap pictures today, no. I have a third camera without batteries. A big DSLR. If modern technology can't manage to take pictures of a simple soap and it get transfered into my computer, I have to get up on the attic and collect my big guns. I will probably mess that up as well, since it has a complicated menu with settings I don't really understand.

Point and shoot and wireless transfer everywhere, why is that so difficult? They sent people to the moon in the 60's, and today the simplest of tasks are not technologically possible. Are the world going backwards?
Another thing you can do if you take photos on a phone is to email them to yourself.
Then it is on the computer ready to go where ever you want it to.

It also sounds like you might need to re-watch this video:

I made my first soap in a month today - colour testers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing you can do if you take photos on a phone is to email them to yourself.

Sounds good - I ditto Rune's rant. I can't send photos from my iphone to my Mac, I can do it from the iphone to my laptop - no problems. Go figure!

That container is SO full! She has a very steady hand. Mine would be glooping everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

I made my first soap in a month today - colour testers.

Thank you for the video! :) I watched it now, and I think I might can be able to get my stickblender as slow as hers, if I use the lowest setting and don't push the wrong button (which is "max" and just under the regular button). I definately have been overmixing with the stickblender, I see that now. But I think I will first try to mix to emulsion by hand. If that doesn't work, I will do as in the video. I'm still a little afraid it will accellerate like crazy just by the look of the stickblender.

I did try to email it to myself, but it didn't work since there was no email client installed on the phone, the error message said. But then I tried again another day, and found some more options for sharing, and it was in fact another "share on email" button hiding out on the next page. When I tried that one, it worked! It was the Gmail button. The non-working just said "email" or something. So now I know what to do next time :)

Since you are from Australia, you haven't used the Eroma fragrance called Black Musk & Pear? I watched a video just now from Wicked Lee Goods, and she experienced some ricing from that fragrance. Link:
I wonder if you experienced ricing, if you have used it?

I made a new soap recipe today, or well, just tweaked the old one a little bit. And I hope to fragrance the soap with Black Musk & Pear. I see Wicked Lee Goods stickblend it back together again. I'm sure I can't do that without getting the thickest of puddings, which I hope to avoid. I do mix my fragrances in with the oils first, before adding the lye (Wicked Lee add before pouring). Do you think that can help prevent ricing? I can of course choose another fragrance, but.

I haz dis in zee witchez cauldron lolz

Attachments

• _20190328_142944.JPG
    _20190328_142944.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 26
I cut my soap today. Super chuffed at how the swirls turned out. I used Dragon's Blood FO and thought it might discolour but it doesn't seem to have (yet?).
This soap is lard, CO, OO, cocoa butter, SWA, castor oil. Smells like Indian incense. Love it!
View attachment 37748
I somehow missed this on Monday - but WOW! I really love those colours together. And your swirl is so fine with lots of definition. Was it a hanger? I just got a yellow 'magic' mica and was wondering about doing yellow and black together, so this was very timely!

View attachment 37748
That soap is gorgeous! Love the color combo :)

Latest posts

Back