What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried to take pics of my raindrop swirl (it looks nice but wished there were a few more drops in it) my camera on my phone stinks and cant get a good pic no matter how many I take. and I made an obsidian stout beer soap that's in the freezer cooling now.

I'm contemplating making a couple simpler soaps in my new tall skinny mold. BF made me a divider so I don't have to make a giant (for me) 1400g batch every time I want to use it! What a nice boy! I have some annatto-infused RBO I've been meaning to use as well as a couple bright citrusy fruity FOs.
(also BF bought me something very shiny and sparkly today...something usually used to ask a lady a specific question...although that question has not yet been asked...............but that's not soap related)

I'm contemplating making a couple simpler soaps in my new tall skinny mold. BF made me a divider so I don't have to make a giant (for me) 1400g batch every time I want to use it! What a nice boy! I have some annatto-infused RBO I've been meaning to use as well as a couple bright citrusy fruity FOs.
(also BF bought me something very shiny and sparkly today...something usually used to ask a lady a specific question...although that question has not yet been asked...............but that's not soap related)

congrats on the shiny sparkle!! so are you making a tall and super skinny bar?

what is a bath melt?
They're like a combination of bath oil and bath bomb. They're made with a combination of baking soda, citric acid, and cocoa butter, along with corn starch and fragrance and polysorbate 80. They fizz lightly in the water, releasing the oils and the fragrance. So nice for dry winter skin.

@Rune "Petra (Smokey and creamy, a sweet vanilla combination of black pepper and tobacco flower with middle notes of tonka bean, red apple and fig on a base of dark chocolate and patchouli)."

~ just WOW. Wish we could scratch and sniff our screens sometimes!! :D This description has me wondering how I might come up with something similar by blending EOs. I really got into fig as a scent when I had a Pacifica lotion called Mediterranean Fig. By the time I decided I loved it and tried to buy more, they seemed to have discontinued it.

P.S. I love Runemal!! My Runes have supplanted Tarot as my favorite Oracle.

Last edited:
Well, my bath melts sure don't look how I expected. I'm calling these a bit of a fail. They're leaking oil all over the tray and, when I put them in the freezer, the freezer lid hit three of them. Grrrr!

View attachment 37720

Oh dear! Will the oil reabsorb on these, as with soap? The non-smashed ones look nice and definitely usable. ;)

Oh dear! Will the oil reabsorb on these, as with soap? The non-smashed ones look nice and definitely usable. ;)
No, the oil didn't reabsorb. This batch will be just for me.... and maybe my granddaughter. She loves lavender. Next time I make them, I'll know how to correctly fill the cups.

Attachments

• 20190323_130650_HDR.jpg
    20190323_130650_HDR.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 24
My mom asked me to make her some white soap. I asked if it was for hands or body. She said “hands” so I gave her the bars after curing for maybe a couple weeks and mentioned they weren't fully cured yet. Today (a week later) she tells me my soap is so mild that she’s been washing her face with it instead of her commercial facial cleanser. :eek: “MOTHER NO!”

Lesson learned...no giving away immature soap...especially to senile lil old ladies.

@Meena That scent is really good. It is unfortunately discontinued. It smells like cinnamon. But it is not cinnamon, I have tried to figure out what it is, and I think the combination of ingredients make is smell close to cinnamon. The downside is that it is smoky, and I don't tolerate smoky very well before I get a headache. It is fine unless I really sniff in the soap or the scent on my hands, then a slight headache starts. And that is from the smoky part. I have some arabic perfume oils that are smoky and absolutely wonderful. Smells like incense. But, I can't use them at all.

I had to google Runemal, I had never heard of it. But I found out. It is called Runeskrift here, meaning rune writing. I thought it had to be something like that. Runemal does not make sense, but it does when I see where it comes from, which is runemål (norwegian) or rúnamál (icelandic). You don't have the letter Å in english alphabet, so the Å have become an A. Runemål is a word I never have heard either, but it makes sense since it is from two words that makes a meaning together. I wish I could read and write on that language, but I can't understand a single letter. But yes, it is very fascinating.
I have heard it can be used much like tarot. But I have not tried. I perhaps should. I have tarot cards, but did not have the patience to figure out what every card is supposed to mean, and how to use them. I just guessed the meaning. Which is not how you are supposed to do it. Many years ago me and my sister tried to get in contact with spirits using a gold ring tied to a strand of hair. It seemed to work, because it started to make knocking and cracking noises on the windows, noises which moved from one window to another. Quite interesting. We did not know how to make it stop, so we grabbed the Bible and read something loud, and then it stopped immediately.

Once we had a psychic lady in the house to chase ghosts. That was extremely interesting. Most of the things the lady said, was correct (most and not all because there were some few things we could not get verified. They might be true, but we don't know). We had no idea that day about anything she told, because we knew nothing about those living here before. But we found out, and even the strangest things were true. Like the old lady crying in despair in a one of the rooms in the attic. She actually did, her nephew could tell (which were an old man and is dead now). And the ghosts or what it was, it did disappear after her visit. It was in 2011, and it have never been strange things happening in this house since then.

They do say that where I live, is an area full of ghosts and strange things, in almost every house. I don't know why, but very many have allsorts of things going on in their homes. They say it might be from the Second World War. This area was a warzone like no other. It was ships in the fiord outside here bombing houses, with people still in them. The whole village burned down. Some houses manage to survive, and my house is one of them. And we had concentration camps more lethal than Auswitch quite close. This was definately not a quite place during the war. If this is why it so strange in houses around here, I don't know. But I hardly know of anybody who have not seen, heard or experienced anything extraordinary. I do hope to see a ghost once, but that have never happened, unfortunately. I have seen dark figures outside, which were blacker than black. Like the Grim Reaper. Me and my sister saw one outside the window, when it was pitch black outside. And the thing were much darker than black. That was quite chilling. A neighbour got one of those inside the house once, and got dead scared. So strange things do happen here. I just wish I could see more. A true ghost standing right in front of me, or something. But what you wish don't happen, it seems. I'm not afraid, just find it fascinating. I am afraid of real people, though. If I discovered real people outside the window at dark, or in the house, I would run for my life! But ghosts, no. I have never heard of someone get killed by ghosts. Not even the armed ghosts some claim to have seen here (apparently german soldiers). So that is nothing to be afraid of.

My mom asked me to make her some white soap. I asked if it was for hands or body. She said “hands” so I gave her the bars after curing for maybe a couple weeks and mentioned they weren't fully cured yet. Today (a week later) she tells me my soap is so mild that she’s been washing her face with it instead of her commercial facial cleanser. :eek: “MOTHER NO!”

Lesson learned...no giving away immature soap...especially to senile lil old ladies.
But now you know that if it's good now it'll be great after :D

This was yesterday but got too busy to post. Infusions! Most for color, some for a balm I'm gonna try making..

Attachments

• rsz__20190324_113515.jpg
    rsz__20190324_113515.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 16
No, the oil didn't reabsorb. This batch will be just for me.... and maybe my granddaughter. She loves lavender. Next time I make them, I'll know how to correctly fill the cups.

Oh Misschief, those are so pretty!! I'm glad you'll be able to use them.

Trust your mother!! If she says it's milder than what she's been using, believe her! Because the same thing is true of me -- the same day I unmould my soap or maybe 6 days later, I'm washing MY face with it and it IS milder than what I was buying. :D

You're welcome, mom. ;)

ETA: By the way ... update on the C-0... Yesterday I was checking my curing soaps and although my VERY modified Zany BASTILLE is still softer than I'd wish at a bit under 3 weeks old, I cut 1/3 off a bar and started washing my face with it. The very early verdict is that I like it a lot. That said, I am starting to notice one or two tiny blemishes since I've been using the C-5 -- not sure if it's the low cleansing number or something else -- so I'm gonna continue testing the C-5 and C-0 before I go whole hog on either of the recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut my soap today. Super chuffed at how the swirls turned out. I used Dragon's Blood FO and thought it might discolour but it doesn't seem to have (yet?).
I'm 3 months into my soaping journey and totally hooked!!
This soap is lard, CO, OO, cocoa butter, SWA, castor oil. Smells like Indian incense. Love it!
20190324_171145.jpg

Back