What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not just you, Snappy. I missed two days of work at the end of this past week. It's a cold/cough/fever/throwing up thingy I have. It seems my grandson has it, too. And he's 4 hours away from me. He's had it for 3 weeks! Not fun! Get better quickly!

I did my weekly weigh of my curing soaps.
And I made a batch of calendula salve-balm with a few different EOs. But I think maybe a half a gram too much Texas cedarwood EO. DH says is ok though.

Last edited:
I made my fourth batch of soap. Played with colors again and tried to be braver and bolder with them. The dirty utensils that I'll wash tomorrow smell so good when you walk past them. I used WSP's BBW Freesia dupe and I think I'm in love. It was always the scent I was most disappointed that BBW discontinued!

Today I'm finally going to use that flat, boiled beer that's been sitting in the fridge for a week to make some beer and honey soap.

When I finally drag myself away from this computer and drooling over all those lovely soapy photos ... :p

Splurged on a new single-wire cutter (decided I like chunky soaps and I cannot lie) and an PVC planer with a cool sliding safety/guide bar (my wood cheapie planer was getting gummy and prone to uneven shaves). Plowboyz Woodshop LLC on Etsy if anyone is interested.

Decided on the percentages of Laurel Berry oil and olive oil for my Aleppo-style soap. The LBO was delivered yesterday and I wasn't sure what percentages to use. I decided to go with 30/70 LBO/OO. I like the numbers that SoapCalc spit out. After that cures for a few months, I'll try it out and see if I want to make another batch with different numbers or wait for a longer cure to check again. Oooohhh, the anticipation!! Saturday can't come soon enough. I might actually do this tomorrow after work.

I've been looking to buy some fragrant oils.
One of the fragrant oil suppliers in Oz is having a sale-50% off shipping! That is it. What a star company. You guys in the US are so lucky. Your sales are meaningful.

I've made a 5 oz batch of cp soap for embeds, made a batch of lotion that makes three 4 oz jars, Shrunk wrapped my love spell scented soap, getting ready to shrink wrap some bath bombs, & label stuff.

I made soap with my husband's home brewed beer. I've made beer soap before but never from his home brew. I also tried out a new fragrance: Black Pepper from Oregon Trail. Smells fantastic in the beer soap.

Between house guests for several days, and trying to catch up on my planting in the afternoons when weather's been permitting, all I've had time to do is order supplies! I unpacked a WS and a BB order the past two days, and placed an order for some Mad Oils micas today. My new BB silicone liner arrived the other day, so when I'm ready, I'll tackle the spin swirl again in my new 9 bar mold. The hard liner that came with the mold gave me an awful time releasing it. The base was the worst. The BB silicone one should be a huge improvement, I hope,

My new BB silicone liner arrived the other day, so when I'm ready, I'll tackle the spin swirl again in my new 9 bar mold. The hard liner that came with the mold gave me an awful time releasing it. The base was the worst. The BB silicone one should be a huge improvement, I hope,

Sounds like the BB silicone liner I have - (for the BB 9 bar mould?) I've done a successful spin swirl in it. Good luck with that - have fun! :)

Today: 1. Tried to make the elusive sky-blue soap I've been wanting - formulated a recipe with light oils/butters to try and prevent my blue going green - blend of 3 floral fragrances.

2. Rice Flower & Shea - tried to do a pretty hanger swirl but forgot how this FO accelerates badly. Oh well, will be interesting to see it cut anyhoo.

I've been researching how to make my own molds because of this:

image.jpg

Sometimes what happens is better than what you plan....

But I have to say your diagrams of your design are really interesting to me. Kudos to you for doing that planning!

I do pretty good on getting the soap batter made and colored, but when I get to the point of actually doing the swirl, I often go utterly blank on The Plan that was so crystal clear in my mind when I started. :think:

I need to make diagrams like yours so I have something to look at to get my brain back on track again.

But I have to say your diagrams of your design are really interesting to me. Kudos to you for doing that planning!

I do pretty good on getting the soap batter made and colored, but when I get to the point of actually doing the swirl, I often go utterly blank on The Plan that was so crystal clear in my mind when I started. :think:

I need to make diagrams like yours so I have something to look at to get my brain back on track again.

It works really well, I sketch out what I want on one side and then layout the steps for the design on the back. It also serves as a good ckecklist for remembering to do things like put the gear tie in the mold before I pour soap. (If I don't I have actually forgotten to swirl!)

Today I've created the packaging for my soap.

The soap will be wrapped in grease proof paper then the box will be shrink wrapped.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1457877136.536565.jpg

CC completely welcome ✌

I do this... it was the easiest, and fairly inexpensive.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Worlds-easiest-silicone-mold/

This is great! The one I was going to try was silicone caulk and corn starch. You mix the caulk into the starch and knead like dough then continue with the instructions as in this. However, it looked extremely messy with all of the corn starch (and, I don't have any). This definitely looks easier, especially for 3-dimensional molds.

I've spent the day creeping the forum, playing around with new recipe ideas, and am getting ready to put together a game plan on how to plan my soapy week of vacation! I have soooo many new things I want to try! But I have a limited number of molds so I have to plan accordingly. Fastest to set (salt bars etc.) get done first so I can have my individual molds back for other things lol. That's all I can do since I'm at work and they frown on me actually soaping here. They're sticks-in-the-mud! :razz:

I'm getting a Bud cutter, I'm getting a Bud cutter... Can you tell I'm excited?...lol... I just ordered it, and luckily, I'm not as "interested" as Deanna's "jingle freak", or I'd drive the 3.5 hours to pick it up... I guess I can wait the 3-5 days...maybe... I hope...

Latest posts

Back