What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C, you know this no doubt, Peru is one of the hot foodie destinations. Tony Bourdain had a great show on a visit he and Eric Ripert (another great chef and restaurateur) made to Peru, the food looked SO amazing. I was starving the whole time watching it.

I made my first batch of shaving soap which came out really nice, just need to get my husband to try it. Also made some Vaseline and some bum balm.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I ended up getting up in the dead o'clock hours and cutting my swap soap. lol Now that's stashed away to cure. I thought it came out pretty neat. I don't typically use slab molds.

I also tried cutting down another cardboard tray to make a mold half its size, since the improvised mold for the swap soap is double my normal recipe. And well... my measuring was off, leaving a wonky side. I tossed it in the recycle, and will try again later.

Prettied up a batch of soaps by grating the sides to remove ash, then grated up an ugly batch and microwave rebatched the two together. It looks like SO MUCH SOAP when grated and makes 6 normal sized bars....sigh!

Jules, meant to say "work on the design a bit and send it to me". How long did it take before he sent you the design so that you could ok it, just curious. It's not an emergency or anything, so don't want to pester him, but of course I'm chomping at the bit inside :)

About a week. He said he's working on quite a few. I was anxious too, but he was really quick about it.

Thanks, Jules! I can't wait. I love his stamps, am going to get a bunch of the stock ones as well, I think his pricing is really reasonable for the level of craftsmanship. I was just going to get a couple, but you can talk yourself into some budget busting with the "well, I'm paying postage anyway" rationale :)

This is by no means my first batch of gms. but, for some reason, when i poured the lye onto the frozen milk and it was dissolving as usual-halfway through it started to look grainy....

it also had a rotten egg smell...

i continued stirring for half an hour. still no difference. I assumed it might be because i used a "first milk" from a new milking goat and it was very rich and superfatted.

It continued to smell the same as I mixed it in the oils. I CPOP and the smell is still here.

can someone help me figure out what happened?

The graininess is likely because the fat started to saponify. And the ammonia smell is very common with milk soaps. It should fade after a bit, long before it is done curing.

I managed to make it to my Saturday market. I only packed about 150 bars, because it's been raining since last night, and I'm still working one- handed. I sold out. Out as in not one bar of soap left, and a stack of orders for what I have at home. It really makes me happy, as I've had to miss the last 2, that enough people like my soap to actually wait for me to come back.

Nothing fancy today just wanted to test out a new FO (Georgia Peaches from FB) and see what would happen if I replaced part of the water with peach cider. The lye water with cider added was a nice peachy color but I mixed up some orange mica in case I needed it. Turns out I did need it and after initially thinking the FO was playing nice it started to really thicken up as I poured (glad I didn't try to swirl)! You can see the ones on the upper right are much smoother and less gloppy looking than the rest. So here they are . . . GA Peach Pucks in all their glory.

IMG_1077[1].jpg

I made another batch of shaving soap and decided that EOs and I do not get along. I went for a 6:1 Lime/Cedarwood blend. It's so light in the finished soap. Bah! Maybe it will be more noticeable in the lather...

Latest posts

Back