What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just plugged in your recipe with HO canola vs. Olive oil and got the you needed 3.89 oz lye instead of 3.91. I wouldn't call that a significant difference and I wouldn't worry. It's just going to be a smidgen less superfatted. Should be just fine. :)

Thanks Galaxy! I had looked up the SAP values and they didn't look too far apart, but I was too busy cussing myself to think about running it through a calculator. Duh! Hopefully I won't end up with DOS! The wait begins....

I thought I could let my omh soap gel next to a fan, nope, it overheated. I should have put it in the freezer but I wanted to be able to cut it sooner; got myself a big cavern full of oil and lye crystals, bluh. Into the crockpot!

NO not at all it was mu first soap so there was no essential oil .

Then I would take it as family anxiety over new soaper. I've had something similar happen.
My mom recently said my dad, early on in one of my first soaps, got a red rash on his arm (he never mentioned it). She told him, "It was one of her first soaps that probably had too much lye in it. They're fine now!". Um, no ma...I've never made soap with too much lye. It's always has fully dissolved lye with an added superfat.
So they thought it was lye heavy...it could've been co sensitivity, the fragrance, or heck it could be he got a freaking bug bite for all I know. The paranoia of family towards new soaper making a mistake causing a new odd symptom happens.

I'd bet she is probably is over exaggerating it and is a little mental/concerned about using your new homemade product, and your soap did no such thing as to darken her complexion (if I were guessing).

Did you see a difference in her complexion?

Did your recipe have sea buckthorn oil in it? I haven't used it in soap (pretty expensive for that), but I've heard it can orangify you in leave on products. I have a small amount for playing with in lotions/balms and have been careful to keep my percentages low so I don't look like an oompa-loompa.

Then I would take it as family anxiety over new soaper. I've had something similar happen.
My mom recently said my dad, early on in one of my first soaps, got a red rash on his arm (he never mentioned it). She told him, "It was one of her first soaps that probably had too much lye in it. They're fine now!". Um, no ma...I've never made soap with too much lye. It's always has fully dissolved lye with an added superfat.
So they thought it was lye heavy...it could've been co sensitivity, the fragrance, or heck it could be he got a freaking bug bite for all I know. The paranoia of family towards new soaper making a mistake causing a new odd symptom happens.

I'd bet she is probably is over exaggerating it and is a little mental/concerned about using your new homemade product, and your soap did no such thing as to darken her complexion (if I were guessing).

Did you see a difference in her complexion?
No difference felt .:evil:

Desperately I needed this thread today :oops::oops:
I made my new batch today and in 600 g recipe forgot to ad 40g caster oil which was the part of recipe now just worried what will happen tomorrow ?when will un mold my soap :shock::problem:

I am new and just make a very small batch but now with learning here to day i tried to make a 600 g recipe .
lye 90.37 g
water 228 g
150g OO
150g CO
shea butter 15 g
bees wax 5g
almond oil 40 g
canola oil 100 g
sunflower oil 100g
caster oil 40 g
Now worried about the soap.
I was very conscious but unfortunately to add 40g casteroil

What was your intended SF amount? Your castor is at 6.67 % of the recipe. If your SF was higher, you will be OK, but it will be a drying/stripping soap (esp. b/c the CO amount is relatively high - 25% - but it at least it is balanced with some conditioning ones). If the SF is lower, it may lye heavy so that you will have to rebatch and add oil. I ran this through soapcalc and tried to cut and paste so that it was easier for people to see in % form, but it wouldn't work.

The recipe itself is too low in hard oils, I think it will make a soft soap. I know that you are trying to balance that by adding shea and beeswax in non-lather killing numbers, but I think the balance (w/beeswax at .83% and shea at 2.5%) will not work for that. If you can figure out a way to get some lard or tallow rendered, that would help so much.

I think you should think seriously about using fewer oils. This is too many for me, it would make it harder to troubleshoot for me, even now with a bit of experience. As a beginner it would have been worse.

Last edited:
My SF is 5% only I also used sodium lactate 5 g .
I usually use OO CO and almond oil but today I just wanted to use those oils which were almost finished so I made a recipe to clean the shelf .:thumbdown::thumbdown:
icon_thumbdown.gif
now its a lye heavy soap ,if I un mold it tomorrow and re batch it just adding 40g caster oil ?will it work?
I did not use tallow and lard yet in my soap making journey .

Last edited:
Your recipe is lye heavy to begin with. With the castor oil missing, it's about 12% lye excess. This is my soap calc app on the pad, could be wrong but I doubt it. Lye excess does get neutralized if you give it enough time provided there is enough water in the recipe and I think it does. It will also lather better with time. You have to decide if you want to wait 4 months+ or re batch.

Your recipe is lye heavy to begin with. With the castor oil missing, it's about 12% lye excess. This is my soap calc app on the pad, could be wrong but I doubt it. Lye excess does get neutralized if you give it enough time provided there is enough water in the recipe and I think it does. It will also lather better with time. You have to decide if you want to wait 4 months+ or re batch.

Being a newbie I would like to follow the advice of my seniors and experts here.:clap:

I would rebatch, although I have only done it a couple of times (I hate doing it, and the soap is not pretty) so will defer to others in terms of the best way to do it. The reason I would is that even if you let the lye neutralize so that it is not lye heavy/dangerous, the SF will still be low, it would not be a very nice feeling soap to me. I would rather have it feel good and not look so good than the other way around :)

I had two strainers sitting right there on my prep area. I was so engrossed with doing my first soaping video and worrying about the fact that I had already added my kaolin, oats, cream, etc before I realized that I didn't have the camera on.

Tomorrow I need to start reading the manual some more. At least I did get it working; but now I can't seem to get the video to upload on to my computer using the USB connector. Photo Shop Elements keeps telling me that it can't find the camera! :-(

Doing the post-soaping dishes and feeling pretty chuffed with myself for doing my first "proper" swirl successfully...when what should I notice out the corner of my eye but a wee brown bottle of FO, mocking me with it's un-opened-ness. Yep, I was so focused on maling sure the consistency was just right, pouring at the right stage, and doing the swirl...I completely skipped over the "adding fragrance" step :oops:

So, my christmasy candy-cane soap looks the part but smells like...soap le sigh

Latest posts

Back