What soapy mistake have you made today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a loaf for my niece who loves sunflowers...used all the colors of a sunflower in a white base...Vibrance Green, Vibrance Yellow, Maya Gold, TD black and used the new BC sunflower FO. The FO accelerated really fast so it was more of a spooning than a pouring...I CPOPed this loaf for the first time ever hoping maybe the heat would settle down the batter a bit. I pounded the hell out of it to get air out. I'll post pics of the loaf out of the oven later...

Ha, kinda similar to my soap batch today. Planned a four color swirl with a FO I knew may thicken up fast on me. It did. I separated the batter anyway. Ended up with a three color plus natural plop. I was just gonna make a quick batch before we went out for the day...I should always plan more time to soap. It may end up looking silly, but at least it will still be nice soap.

I love this thread .... it makes me feel better to read that experienced soapers have the same issues I do :)

The top of the loaf looks like my grandson did it, but I couldn't take the suspense anymore and unmolded and cut it...it doesn't suck...

007.jpg

008.jpg

I love reading all of your stories! Some had me laughing hysterically. I don't feel so bad about my raw soap stupid moment. The bad thing is I have done it before! I got a round mold from BB. I used it today. I have a habit of tapping to get air bubbles out. I did it as usual, tap, tap, tap, and the bottom cap comes off. Soap all over the counter! I slammed it into the cap and saved some but DUH! This happened last time I used this mold! The devil made me do it because I know better!

Was trying to do a two color chopstick swirl and it ended up two layer because of extreme acceleration I'll get to cut it tomorrow... At least it'll smell great

Was trying to do a two color chopstick swirl and it ended up two layer because of extreme acceleration I'll get to cut it tomorrow... At least it'll smell great

yep several of mine did that and I look at them, shake my head and remind myself that at least they smell good :)

Same happened to my loaf and it came out much better than I expected...so ya never know.
I also CPOPed my loaf hoping that the heat would help prevent air bubbles (does that even make sense?) and I wanted to see the difference with the colors. I loved the fact that I could unmold and cut it in a few hours...gonna do that method more often.

Same happened to my loaf and it came out much better than I expected...so ya never know.
I also CPOPed my loaf hoping that the heat would help prevent air bubbles (does that even make sense?) and I wanted to see the difference with the colors. I loved the fact that I could unmold and cut it in a few hours...gonna do that method more often.

I thought of doing CPOP but I had dinner in the oven. So no go there. But yeah I can see the preventing air bubbles thing... I'm anxious to get home and cut, I think I'm gonna use my new crinkle cutter since it's a more plain soap....

Well. Nothing went right for me today :(. I had everything all ready to go, mold lined, colors ready for batter, was going to try my hand at the hidden feather swirl. First problem; I forgot to add my castor oil. Second problem; I added my FO and it accelerated, which is what made me realize I had forgotten the castor oil. Added the castor oil and blended like my life depended on it. Which of course made me way past anything other than glopping into the mold. However, I did manage to get some of my color mixed in before it turned into a brick. We'll see what happens, but it seemed like my batter was going into gel right in my mixing bowl, so idk...

I made a batch to split and test some new fragrances. Exciting, right?!

Well as I was pouring my lye into the water, I realized I forgot to dissolve my sugar. And instead of just letting it go, I cussed myself the rest of the process about it, only to look over after I poured my molds and see my little cup of EDTA solution, sitting there staring at me. AUGHHH. Of course the soap will be just fine, but Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! It's a wonder I got ANY of the blasted ingredients into the mold!

I made a batch to split and test some new fragrances. Exciting, right?!

Well as I was pouring my lye into the water, I realized I forgot to dissolve my sugar. And instead of just letting it go, I cussed myself the rest of the process about it, only to look over after I poured my molds and see my little cup of EDTA solution, sitting there staring at me. AUGHHH. Of course the soap will be just fine, but Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! It's a wonder I got ANY of the blasted ingredients into the mold!

I left my fo out once and hand stirred it into the mold. It became a cursed gremlin and I almost forgot my fo the two times after that! So sorry to hear, it is so frustrating!

Not today, but my last batch a couple days ago i decided to try dusting the top of my soap with mica, instead of doing an oil swirl.

I stood and looked at my strainer and thought "These holes look too big, i should probably not try this" but despite this my hand still put some mica in and gave the strainer a shake. Yup, the holes were too big, less a dusting and more of a blanketing.

Okay today was a really bad soaping day for me. :( I spent 3 hours planning, executing a gorgeous soap for the upcoming holiday with one of my own very special essential oil blends. I poured it into my mold and finished the top, stood back and admired my beautiful soap, imagining what the swirls would look like tomorrow when I can cut it. I started cleaning up to get ready for my next batch when I saw it. My essential oil blend. Yup! I forgot to add it. So I will have a beautful scent free soap, 7 lbs of it. After that I decided to make a new beer soap which I had the beer all ready for. Everything was going smooth until ... I added the fragrance oil. Of course it was new and I had never tested it. And it seized in seconds. The worst seize I had ever seen. After cleaning up, I decided to it was time to quit for the day. Two epic fails in one day. Oh, well tomorrow is a new day of new successes, I hope. :)

Yesterday I made a test batch of soap with a new blend of bay and cedar EOs with a touch of lime. I don't know what happened. It smells like nasty plastic. I'm hoping that it evens out in a day or two otherwise I will be chucking it.

Started a batch of lye-heavy Andalusian Castile that has still not gotten to trace after an hour-and-a-half of hand-stirring!

Latest posts

Back