What NG frag oils hold scent for a long time???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flavapor

Reaction score
I have been disappointed by a few different frag oils smelling great, but evaporating and having just a faint scent after 1-2 months. I would like to know what fragrances are nice and strong for the long term. I would also think about making a purchase from fragrance buddy, does anyone have any experience with that company?

I am also looking for something comparable to peaks tall grass and black canyon, maybe under another name at either of these two places. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

To increase the amount of time your FO last and sticks in your soaps, try blending a small amount of corn starch or arrowroot powder into your FO before adding to your batch. They absorbe the scent and hold them in your finished soap.

What scents are you having the hardest time with sticking? Some fo's just won't stick in cp no matter what you do.

I've never heard of Fragrance Buddy, but they don't show if their fo's are okay for cp :(

Like Sue Bear said, you can mix your fo with a little arrowroot or cornstarch to help it stick. Also, when are you adding your fo's? Some fo's stick better when you add them to the oils before mixing in the lye & some stick better at trace.

Genny said:
What scents are you having the hardest time with sticking? Some fo's just won't stick in cp no matter what you do.

I've never heard of Fragrance Buddy, but they don't show if their fo's are okay for cp :(

Like Sue Bear said, you can mix your fo with a little arrowroot or cornstarch to help it stick. Also, when are you adding your fo's? Some fo's stick better when you add them to the oils before mixing in the lye & some stick better at trace.

Well of course it would be one of my favorites! The eucalyptus spearmint was nice and strong after unmolding, now 2 weeks later it is very faint. I have just started adding cornstarch, but of course I dont have anymore spearmint eucalyptus :(

I didnt want to buy another if it may be the scent. The bamboo that I bought from them was not "the" bamboo I was looking for either and didnt hold strong, but I am going to try the australian bamboo and see if that may be the one I am looking for.

The chemistry store has one that I love but its soap on a stick. I think the formulas they have now are mostly for m&p, but they told me they are revamping all the formulas to be useful in CP, which will be great cause some of there frag oils are great.

I guess what I am asking for is really strong scents that stick. I like when the soap is a foot from your nose and you can smell it, not right up to your nose to smell it. :D

There are literally hundreds and hundreds that are strong and that will smell that way in your soap.
You need to give us more info on what type of scents you are looking for i.e. floral, fruity, foody, musky, woodsy, manly, etc.

Sue Bear said:
There are literally hundreds and hundreds that are strong and that will smell that way in your soap.
You need to give us more info on what type of scents you are looking for i.e. floral, fruity, foody, musky, woodsy, manly, etc.

I like something that smells like Orange, I like musky, woodsy, beachy, dups, fruity and herby smells. I also like clean and fresh scents

Things I like now are
lovingspell
black canyon from peaks
tall grass from peaks
white tea and ginger
cranberry citrus
spearmint eucalyptus
sand and sun, although this one was not strong in the soap
japanese cherry blossom
bamboo
kamasutra

From NG- Cracklin' Birch, Loving Spell, Perfect Man, Yummy (Lush Dupe)....All of these are strong and lasting in cured soap..I hate weak oils and most often use 1 oz./ppo. That's about all I can think of from them that are strong at the moment..i've had some weak ones from them too just like with any other supplier, it's trial and error and best to research. Good luck,hth :D

The only one that I use from your list is White Tea & Ginger and NG's White Tea & Ginger sticks big time.

If you're not a member of The Soap Scent Review Board, I highly recommend joining. Invaluable information on scents and suppliers there.
http://www.soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/

You do have to have a regular paid email address to sign up though.

Genny said:
The only one that I use from your list is White Tea & Ginger and NG's White Tea & Ginger sticks big time.

If you're not a member of The Soap Scent Review Board, I highly recommend joining. Invaluable information on scents and suppliers there.

I must agree, the scent review board is fantastic.

Shar said:
From NG- Cracklin' Birch, Loving Spell, Perfect Man, Yummy (Lush Dupe)....All of these are strong and lasting in cured soap..I hate weak oils and most often use 1 oz./ppo. That's about all I can think of from them that are strong at the moment..i've had some weak ones from them too just like with any other supplier, it's trial and error and best to research. Good luck,hth :D

Thanks I have loving spell and love but havent tried the rest, but I will.

Genny said:

thanks genny and suebear. I am a paid member of aol but it still wont let me join

flavapor said:
Genny said:

thanks genny and suebear. I am a paid member of aol but it still wont let me join

Looks like it is time for you to reserve a website domain name. :D

Sue Bear said:
flavapor said:
Genny said:

Looks like it is time for you to reserve a website domain name. :D

well,it wont let me on thru my att acct either page comes up forbidden. I also have a domain name.com and cant grt on from there either. It must be a setting on my computer

Kansas Farm Girl said:
Where is the best place to get the japanese cherry blossom? I have one but it's not quite what I had expected. I got it from Save on Scents

I want that one too

Forgot to mention Fruity Rings, and it's very strong! Just soaped another batch tonight, as I'm having a hard time keeping it stock!

Lavender vanilla downy dupe is long lasting, and Magnolia & Orange Blossoms sticks. Aqua Di Gio is good but I' d like it to be a little stronger, same for Very Sexy For Men dupe, but both of these are still nice. Mrs Claus Cookies, Blue Hawaiian, Caribbean, Bermuda Triangle, Butt Naked, Bite Me, Monkey Farts are good though I think their Monkey Farts needs more banana.Some from NG that I've tried and wasn't impressed with in cp and will not reorder, and found to be weak or bland or faded :

Mardis Gras-
Satsuma
Oatmeal & Honey
Honeysuckle
Madam President
Black Code type
Cool Water type

Shar said:
Forgot to mention Fruity Rings, and it's very strong! Just soaped another batch tonight, as I'm having a hard time keeping it stock!

Lavender vanilla downy dupe is long lasting, and Magnolia & Orange Blossoms sticks. Aqua Di Gio is good but I' d like it to be a little stronger, same for Very Sexy For Men dupe, but both of these are still nice. Mrs Claus Cookies, Blue Hawaiian, Caribbean, Bermuda Triangle, Butt Naked, Bite Me, Monkey Farts are good though I think their Monkey Farts needs more banana.Some from NG that I've tried and wasn't impressed with in cp and will not reorder, and found to be weak or bland or faded :

Mardis Gras-
Satsuma
Oatmeal & Honey
Honeysuckle
Madam President
Black Code type
Cool Water type

Thanks for all that input. I have noticed the sun and sand wasnt strong and neither was the spearmint eucalyptus, although I am going to give them one more try and add more before crossing them off my list since I love the smells.

Another option is hot process. Since the FO does not have to survive the lye monster and go through saponification, you can use less and they stay stronger.

new12soap said:
Another option is hot process. Since the FO does not have to survive the lye monster and go through saponification, you can use less and they stay stronger.

I have never HP soap aside from rebatching, do you have a link or recipe with instructions. I wouldnt mind trying it.

Latest posts

Back