What might this be?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

DawninWA

Reaction score
I don't know how to google this, because you ask about bubbles on soap and you get stuff about how bubbly a soap is.

Anyway

I made it yesterday afternoon. Cut today, less than 24 hours. These bubbles (?) showed up right after cutting, and aren't liquid on the surface, nor do they seem fluid filled, just like raised soap.

70% GV Shortening (mostly tallow, some palm)
15% Olive
15% Safflower

5% superfat

Default Soapcalc setting for lye/water etc.

Orange and Patchouli essential oils

And it zaps, which is less fun than it sounds. :p

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it gel?

Also, is this on the surface that was the top of the mold, or is this the side of a cut piece?

DawninWA

Reaction score
It did not gel, and this is a cut bar from the middle (though they all look the same throughout). The top of the block didn't have this.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Do you cut this with a wire? I don't know why but sometimes this happens when using a wire cutter. Its just one of those weird things soap does. Its not from anything you did wrong and is only cosmetic.

DawninWA

Reaction score
That's so weird, I never cut with the wire, but I did with this batch. Ok, awesome. This is "family soap" (all my weirdo relatives choose patchouli over all others so I make it for them, I hate patchouli), so I don't want it to be harmful but it's ok if it looks funny.

doriettefarm

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Do you cut this with a wire? I don't know why but sometimes this happens when using a wire cutter. Its just one of those weird things soap does. Its not from anything you did wrong and is only cosmetic.
^^^Totally agree with Obsidian's assessment. I recently bought a Bud cutter and this happened on the first batch I cut with it. Think I was so excited I forgot to tighten the wires!

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yep, I third the wire cutter. I get that if I cut my soap too soon. At least that's what I've narrowed it down to with mine.

biarine

Reaction score
I had like that with my first batch soap years ago and I never used wire cutter but I cut my soap a little bit early it's less than 24 hours.