What kind of mold do u prefer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindyw86

Reaction score
Do you prefer wooden, silicone, or something else? Slab, loaf, or individual?

Also what dimensions do u prefer? I got a loaf that is not at wide as I thought it was going to be....only 2.5 in and do want something a bit wider, but not sure which direction I wanna go yet.

My favourite molds for gelling are wooden log molds. For milk soaps I like acrylic slab molds. Your mold sounds really small. My hubby made mine 3.5" across and each pound is 5" long. Gives me anywhere from 4 - 5 ounces (cured weight) depending on the recipe.

I have a 3.5 wide x 2.75 tall wooden log that I used the most recently. I have 2 - 5lb logs that I need to try out that are HDPE that a friend of mine uses and she said they work great. That is on my agenda for the upcoming weekend.

I really prefer my 8 inch long silicone molds, but since they bow the longer they get, they're not really feasible :(

Yeah, mine is wooden, 12 L 2.5 W and 3.5 H. I didn't think to ask dimensions from the person I bought it from, and I am not sure how to use it now, lol. I really wish it was an inch wider.

I have two USPS medium flat-rate boxes.

(Please don't tell on me)

Is that considered destruction of federal property?:Kitten Love:

I typically use 3" PVC pipes, but recently made a loaf mold. I think I flove my loaf mold more. But the PVC is great for single color soaps with no fancy swirling.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine is wooden, 12 L 2.5 W and 3.5 H. I didn't think to ask dimensions from the person I bought it from, and I am not sure how to use it now, lol. I really wish it was an inch wider.

With it being 3.5 high you pour it full and get a bar that is 2.5 x 3.5. The top would be narrow if you are sculpting the top, but if not, the size would be nice.

That will make good sized bars, you are just pouring from what will look like the side of the bar instead of from the top. It's great for doing vertical layers.

Acrylic

I have used probably every mold on the market lol. I like the acrylic molds because of the no lining. If I could find a wood mold with a silicone insert I might go back to wood. Wood is great if you make soap using the oven processed cold processed soaping, which I don't

I buy my mold from soap making resource, high quality, no liners, and their prices are pretty competitive too. Best of luck with your soaping.

Robin

I have two USPS medium flat-rate boxes.

(Please don't tell on me)

I have a box about the size of a loaf mold. It came from SKS. It's bowing in the middle and I'm trying to figure out if I send for more samples if I will get another soap mold eeer, I mean free box.

Is that considered destruction of federal property?:Kitten Love:

I typically use 3" PVC pipes, but recently made a loaf mold. I think I flove my loaf mold more. But the PVC is great for single color soaps with no fancy swirling.

you can make "fancy" soaps in PVC - :)

TesterSoap1002_zps8331cf03.jpg

TesterSoap1003_zps9454b899.jpg

I love, love, love my loaf molds...I dont know what they are made of (maybe the hdpe or whatever?) They're like a cutting board material.

Bwahahaha!

YOU can make fancy soaps in a cylinder. I get wonky looking things. *shrug* Someday. I need to work on slowing down once I get things emulsified so that it doesn't get too thick.

That's what I thought, but I really wanted to do swirls and textured tops and don't know how it will work with this loaf :/

Loads of soapers do swirls and textured tops in your style of mold :) its just you're doing it vertically instead of horizontally :)

Latest posts

Back