What kind of mold do u prefer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to get some loaf molds eventually, but for now it is pvc pipes for me. They are inexpensive and they are also something I can get locally. I also do like the general look of the round soaps. I think I would like to do some fancy tops also, but the pvc is working for now and, in general, I am happy with them.

I have these two hdpe 3 lb molds that I got a few weeks ago. I like them ok, but you have to use a "slip" in order to get the soaps out, which is ok but not superb. I really want those no-liner ones from soap making resource, the 5 lb version. I just found a local supplier that sells 50 lbs of palm oil for $44 which I'm jumping all over come Friday. Then I can get going with some serious soaping.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104531642/2-hdpe-soap-molds-22-bar-6-lb-y-line-kit?ref=shop_home_feat

I would like to get some loaf molds eventually, but for now it is pvc pipes for me. They are inexpensive and they are also something I can get locally. I also do like the general look of the round soaps. I think I would like to do some fancy tops also, but the pvc is working for now and, in general, I am happy with them.

I know everyone thinks I'm joking about the USPS boxes, but I'm not.
Boxes are what I have been using for molds all along. I JUST got one
of those little 3 lb M&P molds from Michaels (with a 40% off coupon :mrgreen:).
Kinda excited to try it...

Anyway, Badger, seriously, find a fairly stout cardboard box that you
like the shape & size of and line it with freezer paper. They really do
work well. A 6"x6"x6" box holds about 2-2.5 lbs and you can try
doing fancy tops & swirls before you buy an expensive mold.

I know everyone thinks I'm joking about the USPS boxes, but I'm not....

Hey, Smee, you're not alone. I've been using a 4x4x12 inch cardboard box that works pretty well for about 16 medium-sized bars of soap. I'm graduating to wood molds soon, but I expect to keep the box around for awhile, just in case! --DeeAnna

I tried a silicone mold, but I found it trickier than I imagined to unmold it. I don't mind lining a mold as much as others and I got a loaf mold from soap making resource that has a built in cutting slot, which is handy.

Smee, I will see about trying a cardboard box. It is just finding something a suitable size and figuring out how to line it so it doesn't leak. I am actually eying a box as I am writing this, wondering if it would be a good size, but I can't find my ruler...

Love your honesty and Kiss method!

I know everyone thinks I'm joking about the USPS boxes, but I'm not.
Boxes are what I have been using for molds all along. I JUST got one
of those little 3 lb M&P molds from Michaels (with a 40% off coupon :mrgreen:).
Kinda excited to try it...

Anyway, Badger, seriously, find a fairly stout cardboard box that you
like the shape & size of and line it with freezer paper. They really do
work well. A 6"x6"x6" box holds about 2-2.5 lbs and you can try
doing fancy tops & swirls before you buy an expensive mold.

Smee, your awesome! The kiss method of life and soapmaking is refreshing! I do love my wooden loaf box my hubby made and the liners I use, and I'm really looking forward to making my first PVC CP soap. I as well love silicone for MP soaps. I can't wait to brew up some CP and go to the post office. Heck, the UPS guy just stopped by~ I think that box is looking pretty good to me. Kiss, Keep it Simple Silly~ Cheers Smee. :lol:

I have these 5 lb HDPE loaf molds: http://www.etsy.com/listing/95724379/hdpe-2-soap-molds-36-bar-10lb-y-line-kit?ref=shop_home_active

They're OK, but I think there are two big drawbacks:

1. The corners are SHARP. You really need to be careful using them, or you can really slice yourself up. I'm trying to think of a good way to file them down a bit.

2. You must use a slip to get the soap out (I tried not using a slip for one batch and ended up slicing the soap away from the mold with my slicer - it was messy and aggravating). The reason I bought these things in the first place was because they were advertised as "no need to line these molds" but then they arrive with a sheet of paper saying you have to use a slip, which basically means you have to line it at least halfway. Grr.

I wouldn't buy these again. The Silvermoon loaf molds look nice, but I need to just stick with what I have. Boo.

I used cardboard boxes at first - they work just fine! Now I have two wooden loaf molds I made. If I can make them, anybody can! I went to Etsy and found some pics of molds I liked, wrote down all the measurements, the went to lowes where they cut the boards for me. I used 3/4 inch thick oak boards - they shouldn't ever warp. They are sold as 4 inch wide which means in reality they are 3.5 - perfect as is so the only cuts that have to be made are the length. I drilled holes, hammered in wooden dowels, and used screen door hooks to hold them together (which means they break down when I unmold). Yes they have to be lined but I finally got the hang of that after looking about a thousand times at the sticky on lining posted here. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes! :)

I use wooden molds my husband made for me from scrap wood so the cost was very minimal (only paid for the hinges). I have a couple of silicone molds my MIL got for me that I use for smaller sized soaps. I also use cleaned out juice cans for my circular soaps (Shhh, don't tell anyone!) :shh:

See, Badger - and anyone else that doesn't have a gazillion dollars/euros/pounds/pesos -
Boxes work! Milk, shoe, Amazon, USPS...doesn't matter.
Boxes are everywhere and usually free once you pay for whatever was in them. :mrgreen:

I have used probably every mold on the market lol. I like the acrylic molds because of the no lining. If I could find a wood mold with a silicone insert I might go back to wood. ...
Robin

I have Brambleberry's 17-in wood mold with a silicone liner. It's not tall enough for what I like to do though, which is sculpted tops on a slice that's 3.5 inches tall. Nice mold but I don't like the shortness of the bars.

I love my acrylic mold from Soapmaking Resource. Initially it had a bit of warping when I once ran it thru the dishwasher (don't try this!). After a few more uses it returned to its normal dimensions and is fine.

I also love individual bars in a silicone sheet. I have ovals and squares, love both. And also have BB's cylinder mold with an insert that makes it easy to pull out.

My trusty wood molds, lined with freezer paper, get a lot of use too.

I only made two batches and they were both made in a 12 cavity silicone mold. Now I'm waiting for my husband and/or father (let see who is quicker to make me one :wink:) to make me a wooden mold with removable ends (like the ones they sell at soap making resource)

I just checked out the measurements of one of the boxes I had laying around, and if I did the math right it should make a 3 lb batch. So do I do 3 one pound round batches, or try a 3 lb slab batch where I can play with the top? My oils did just arrive, but they are supposed to last me through April... Decisions, decisions ;-)

my boss made me an adjustable wooden mold. It has a few end pieces so I can make more than 1 batch at a time in it. It goes up to 8lbs.

Its big and heavy, so its hard to store, but it does make the perfect batch of soap!

My next project is to master the round molds. I've had bad luck lining the pringles cans and I have these cracker containers (same size as the pringles cans) and they have panned out to be a nightmare, also. Maybe this weekend I will master lining those!

I actually have a question about molds that I will throw out there if no one minds me adding to this thread. Are there any mold materials that should not be used for CPOP? It is something that I might be trying in the future and I have a friend who will likely be able to make a mold for me. She and I were just talking about what materials would be best for it. I know that acrylic should not go in the oven, what about heavy silicone and what types of wood work or would be best? I have seen a lot of oak molds and was not sure if pine would work just as well (I know pine would be less expensive to buy). If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on materials it would be appreciated. I am looking at getting an adjustable 1 to 5 lb mold.

I actually have a question about molds that I will throw out there if no one minds me adding to this thread. Are there any mold materials that should not be used for CPOP? It is something that I might be trying in the future and I have a friend who will likely be able to make a mold for me. She and I were just talking about what materials would be best for it. I know that acrylic should not go in the oven, what about heavy silicone and what types of wood work or would be best? I have seen a lot of oak molds and was not sure if pine would work just as well (I know pine would be less expensive to buy). If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on materials it would be appreciated. I am looking at getting an adjustable 1 to 5 lb mold.

I have put wood, silicone and hdpe in the oven, and I wouldnt put the hdpe in again, it warped a little. I think it depends on the thickness of the material. One of my hdpe molds is thicker than the other and that one is fine but the thin one that I got at Michaels has a very thin bottom and I put it on the heating pad and it burnt an indent into the bottom the size of a quarter.

I love all my molds for different stuff, but I gotta tell ya, a lg brick of velveeta cheese box makes an awesome 2 or 3 inch square soap.

I actually have a question about molds that I will throw out there if no one minds me adding to this thread. Are there any mold materials that should not be used for CPOP?

PVC shouldn't be used for this method as it can give off noxious fumes from the type of plastic it's made of...

Oh, I won't be using my PVC in the oven, but I appreciate the warning (part of the reason I hadn't is the mold has not been completely full so it would be a semi-circle instead of a round soap). Now I know a better reason to not do it! I am just trying to think of options that would work for the mold that my friend will make for me.

Latest posts

Back