What is wrong with this shaving set up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think that a lot of these special oils used in many artisan soaps are somewhat wasted. At best, they add nothing to the soap, unless they are being used as the superfat which I am not sure baout one way or the other. I think it is mainly a label appeal idea.

On this we agree 100%. I freely admit to judging a shaving soap on what exotics it had in it e.g shea, kokum, mango etc. In hindsight this may have been somewhat naive - though in theory they MAY provide some tangible benefit assuming that it's a superior shaving soap because it has, for example shea butter is just erroneous. I realise this now, but the people making them realise this - and hence I concur completely.

In fact a very good example of this is evidenced by a good portion of the scandal that surrounded the maker of the 'How to Grow a Moustache' brand of products. I'll assume you're aware of it and whilst several issues were flagged by the shaving community (which were so virulent it to objective assessment lead to him abandoning that brand and starting another) one of them IIRC was misleading use of exotic butters/oils on his ingredients list. e.g make a batch of soap and literally just put a single drop of mango butter in it - so can you advertise that as shaving soap with Mango Butter? :thumbdown: Very well chronicled matter.

Back