What is going on here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkor

Reaction score
Can anyone please explain what this is? Is it a M&P soap, is the Douglas Smythe guy who makes it baffling us with bullpoop?

I bought one of these and mine looks the same exact way. I just would like to know if I'm getting taken for a ride?

Picture 42.jpg

Its very possibly its transparent CP and not M & P. I don't believe for a minute that the film traps scent but its not going to hurt anything. Is it the film you are concerned with?

Yes, I wonder what the film on top is and is it harmful? I emailed him and got a very confusing answer, similar to the reply he made. I also want to know if it is actually melt pour since it is not advertised as that and it wasn't cheap. I did not even think about that until I saw that on facebook. He say's it isn't so I believe him but his answer to me about the film in confusing.

Can you list the ingredients? When making transparent soap, there can be a lot of bubbles created. He should take the time to skim off the bubbles in my opinion but like I said, the film is harmless.

EDIT: I think I found the product on the web. Is this the ingredient list? If so then yes, its M & P.

Ingredients: Kokum Butter, Organic Mango Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine, Purified Water, Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitol (moisturizer), Sorbitan oleate (emulsifier), Soy bean protein (conditioner), Wheat Protein (conditioner), Essential Oil [Unless Scent Free]

Last edited:
Hmm.. I share Obsidian's skepticism in regards to the part about the "micro air pockets" on the surface film trapping scent while being shipped. That's sure a new one to me.

Other than that, it's very possible it's transparent CP, which is made by adding alcohol and sugar to the mix, but I'm very curious about the film. It looks like some of the thick ash that I've gotten on some of my un-gelled CP. lol I've never made transparent soap before to be able to judge properly, though. Hopefully, someone who has made transparent soap will chime in soon and enlighten us.

IrishLass :)

I've looked up synergy soap ingredients and have found two different versions. One is clearly M & P and the other is CP but the CP doesn't say anything about sugar or alcohol which would be needed to make transparent soap. I don't think I would be purchasing from a vendor who has such confusing info about there products.
M & P can be very good shaving soap though.

I have no idea what the question is...? Can you give a link to the product you purchased, or give a little more info?

I make transparent soap, and you would have to work pretty hard to put that much foamy film on the top. No reason for it, either, "holding in the scent" sounds like baloney to me. But yes, that could easily be transparent soap.

Is that supposed to be a shaving soap?

Is that totally unused or after use?

Okay, I went and looked up Douglas Smythe on the old Book Of The Face. Interesting facts.

He ran HTGAM.....................but also another shaving company, under a different name. Had numerous accounts posting rave reviews between the two companies and even interviewed himself as if it was two different people. Rather underhanded tactics.

LBussy did a bit of digging in to the recipe/s for the soap in another forum - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/424933-HTGAM-Thoughts-Issues-Concerns

From what I have read today, as well as from what I saw of his persona, I wouldn't actually trust an answer from him regarding the product. If it works for you, fab - if not, there are plenty of very good products out there to use.

Last edited:
Here are the ingredients from the soap label.

Kokum Butter, Organic Mango Butter, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Pumpkin Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Organic Neem Oil, Safflower Oil, Glycerine, Purified Water, Sodium & Potassium Hydroxide,Soy bean protein, Chaulmoogra Oil, Aloe Extract, Maca Root, Yellow Dock Root, Essential Oil [Unless Scent Free]

As long as the foam stuff isn't harmful, I might as well use it. I paid for it. I did not think I was paying for a melt & pour soap though.

Thanks for sharing that info Efficacious Gentleman, I did not know the history of the guy. I do feel like I've been swindled.

I forgot to answer your question. The photo is of the soap unused. mine looks exactly the same as that photo, unused as well.

In the FB post, he mentions sugar and alcohol, but in the ingredients posted here, I don't see either one listed. Doesn't make sense to me.

He says it isn't MP, so okay sure let's give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. If it is transparent soap made via HP, that still looks like an incomplete ingredient list to me. If he used raw sugar and alcohol then that goes on the list, whether the alcohol evaporates or not.

As to whether you have been swindled, I can't speak to that at all. I guess you bought soap and he sold you soap, but this guy seems to have mastered the art of the non-answer. He is either in marketing or politics. To be honest, I really think the seller is just more about slick (no shaving pun intended) marketing, and possibly over-zealously guarding his formulation than being deliberately misleading, but all I know about him or his product has been gleaned from this thread and the one linked to B&B, so not exactly comprehensive.

IF the soap is "just" handcrafted hot process transparent soap, then yeah the foam is just soap full of air. It's fine.

*I say "just" because transparent soap is actually not at all easy to make.

JM2C

If the ingredient list is true, then its not melt and pour. After reading about this guy though, I would question his honesty. I would flat out ask him why the soap is transparent. If its CP, there are ingredients that need to be added to make it clear, mostly being sugar and alcohol and they both should be listed on the label.

The foam will be safe, I'm sure it is indeed nothing more then little bubbles. Personally I would try and get a refund just because I won't do business with someone who acts like they are hiding something.

I personally wouldn't trust this guy either. And according to his response on B&B he's relatively new so probably shouldn't be selling anyway. I'm thinking he took songwinds recipe and probably suggestions from others and just made it and sold it. Most of us know about proper labeling even before we think about selling. I could be wrong as I don't know him.

I personally wouldn't trust this guy either. And according to his response on B&B he's relatively new so probably shouldn't be selling anyway. I'm thinking he took songwinds recipe and probably suggestions from others and just made it and sold it. Most of us know about proper labeling even before we think about selling. I could be wrong as I don't know him.

I'm not sure if that is so - he has few posts on the forum because he has been banned before. I'm not sure how long he was running, to be honest

I'm not sure if that is so - he has few posts on the forum because he has been banned before. I'm not sure how long he was running, to be honest

You may be right but from reading the one link it claimed he was relatively new "I am a new artisan and learning as I go." I just dislike sketchy folks. However, the guys seem to like his product. So, maybe this was just the wakeup call he needed.

i practically have zero knowledge about shaving soaps, as i never make one (yet). the picture looks similar to when i put some TD into my clear mp base and SB it. lots of air bubbles on top. it is harmless, but hard to get rid off, i usually just shave it off afterwards before i put it up for sale.

Back