What I made today

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindyLou

Reaction score
Hello all of you lovely Bubbleheads out there in Bubbleland!9 :lol: :D :wink:

I have just recently gotten back to my hobby a bit and just wanted to tell you all what I made today.. Had the house to myself, and I wanted to make two batches but could only get in one. Another high olive recipe:

Here it is: And I am intending to use on my face.

70% Pure Olive Oil (NOT EVOO)
10% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (which I had on hand)
10% Crisco (The new one, with new formula)
10% Castor

Used full water amount in Half and Half frozen in ice cube trays, which came out to 12 oz of half and half. First time I did this and it worked VERY well. I spooned in the lye little by little, stirring around thorougly as it melted then stirred again with a wire whisk until melted. Didn't turn color much at all. I had seen someone on Youtube do this so I tried. I'll bet many of you have done already/

I used 4.3 oz lye which came out to 3% discount according to Soapcalc. I wanted to allow for some fat in the half and half but I went ahead and added 0.3 oz more of olive oil to bring it to 5%. Hope that makes sense.
Just for fun and hopefully to help just a little tad with the lather, added about 2 tsp of Agave Nectar. I am told that it helps with lather, probably similarly to honey... I could have added more though, that was very little for a two pound batch.. No scent was used.. Wish I'd had some Lavender E.O. and I woulda thrown that in...

Almost the identical recipe to mine (only difference with the other is in place of the crisco it called for a butter) No butters on hand, and I like Crisco, it helped kick up the Linoleic acid property which works well for my skin... I didn't want to make a pure castile or even with a little castor alone so I added the other things..

Bunny, who's recipe is "Bunny's Castile", recommended the above combination but again, instead of crisco, you add a butter. I think this will be a LOVERLY soap though, and with the half and half, I will be in soap heaven!

Sorry so long and for rambling on.... If you make this, tell me what you think! CHEERS and have a blessed weekend everyone! :D

Sounds fantastic! Please post back with pics and tell us how it lathers when it's cured.

It's funny you used agave nectar. I was in Walmart the other day in the baking aisle and saw it on the shelf. I was sooo tempted. But I didn't have much money and I had items on my list that I needed to buy.

sigh... :( ...one of these days

Hi Hazel!

I will try and get a pic, I have a digital cam, but not sure how to do it yet, now that I have my lappie, I can upload (Hope I have the cables handy, lol)

I have some nice individual molds, but I also have quite a few empty milk cartons so I just poured in a quart carton. I will cut with my crinkle cutter to add a little more interest :wink:

I had the agave to use in tea, but I saw it sitting there on the shelf, looking ever so lonely :lol: and the pull was too great... and... and.....he he he.... I think honey is just as good though.. If only we had a large soaping budget....I relate....sigh... :wink: :)

Someone else used agave nectar in soap which is why I noticed it. It's amazing how my perception has changed while I'm shopping. I keep seeing items and thinking "hmm...I wonder if that woould work in a batch?" :lol:

Yeah, I understand about problems with pics. I have to take the pics, give the SD disk to my sister, she downloads them and then emails them to me. It's kind of a hassle.

I make a recipe similar to that one and I really like the result. Gentle soap.

Yeah, the whole picture thing can be a job! I won't even start!

ToniD said:
I make a recipe similar to that one and I really like the result. Gentle soap.

Yeah, the whole picture thing can be a job! I won't even start!

Hi Toni!

Cool, glad to hear you make something similar! I am really getting interested again in soaping lately... I have 5 2 oz bottles of FO from Daystar that I need to soap.... I did you about 1/2 oz recently in another batch that I used chunks from previous batches in. Small scraps, that is..
I threw in some Mulled Apple Cider from Daystar and it's smells really good. I think so far it's my favorite amongst the spiced apple types... More apple than spice and not too heavy on the clove.. Just right for me..

Hazel said:
Someone else used agave nectar in soap which is why I noticed it. It's amazing how my perception has changed while I'm shopping. I keep seeing items and thinking "hmm...I wonder if that woould work in a batch?" :lol:

Yeah, I understand about problems with pics. I have to take the pics, give the SD disk to my sister, she downloads them and then emails them to me. It's kind of a hassle.

HA HA Hazel, I used to always think along those lines too, any type of square container, box I saw around I would think "potential soap mold" lol

I know what you mean. I just washed the container from "Chicken and Lemongrass Pilaf" yesterday. I used to recycle the containers but I looked at it and thought "soap mold!" :lol:

Sound lovely, milk soaps are my favourites. My latest was a 5 milk soap (Frozen GM, powderd Coconut & Soy milks, half & half, & yogurt). The lather is to die for....

Wow! If I attempted something like that they'd smell the scorched milk out to the street. :lol:

I take it you've been soaping for a long, long time. :D

A little while. The trick is to use frozen GM and then use powders for all but the yogurt. Mix them all together and then add some warmed oils to the mix. Stickblend it smooth and then add it back to the batch at light trace.

This soap was part of a challenge on another forum where we had to stretch ourselves out of our comfort zones. Great fun and learned a bunch from it.

Hazel said:
I know what you mean. I just washed the container from "Chicken and Lemongrass Pilaf" yesterday. I used to recycle the containers but I looked at it and thought "soap mold!" :lol:

OMG, I must be "hooked"!!! I got around the office at work looking at potential soap molds!!! mmm......I may dump that quart of milk in the fridge for a soap mold!! hahahaha

I think I'm worse - have to take my sister to the doctor this morning, so had about an hour more time at home - so, of course, I made soap. I got a few of the Crafter's Choice silicone molds on Monday, and they have been calling my name ever since.
Mary Ann - boiling hot in St. Louis

SmellyKat said:
OMG, I must be "hooked"!!! I got around the office at work looking at potential soap molds!!! mmm......I may dump that quart of milk in the fridge for a soap mold!! hahahaha

Dump that milk into your pot and then pour your milk soap into the carton. :lol:

maryannm said:
I think I'm worse - have to take my sister to the doctor this morning, so had about an hour more time at home - so, of course, I made soap. I got a few of the Crafter's Choice silicone molds on Monday, and they have been calling my name ever since.
Mary Ann - boiling hot in St. Louis

I like silicone molds. Which ones did you get?

I bought one of the small circle guest mold and the little soaps are really nice. I use it for the extra that I can't get into the big molds. :D

I got the green ones 8"x3.5"x2.5 - sold from Wholesale Supply. I can't wait to see how easy it will be to unmold!
Mary Ann

Mary Ann,

Thanks for letting me know. I've seen that one but they now want $20 for it when it used to be only about $14. It makes me think that I'd be paying $6 shipping on the mold.

I'd love to try it but I just can't bring myself to order one. Maybe I'm wrong and that's a good price for a mold this size. Anyone have an opinion?

I was at WSP yesterday (in their showroom) and got to see some new embed tube molds-- very very nice!!! I want to buy the hearts- all different sizes, too.
:)

Lindy said:
A little while. The trick is to use frozen GM and then use powders for all but the yogurt. Mix them all together and then add some warmed oils to the mix. Stickblend it smooth and then add it back to the batch at light trace.

This soap was part of a challenge on another forum where we had to stretch ourselves out of our comfort zones. Great fun and learned a bunch from it.

Wow! I wanna do this! To clarify, did you use full water amount with frozen gm and add the lye and THEN add the powders and yogurt at trace?

Hazel, I had just started soaping when this topic came up regarding the price, so I never had the opportunity to get it at the lower price. But, after using this just one time, and having my soap come out of the mold so easily, nice and smooth, NO LINING - I am sold.

Back