What happened to common courtesy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cell phones can indeed interfere with electronic equipment. They interfere with the sound system and the body microphones at the community theater where I am stage manager. Messing up a microphone is one thing. Messing up a life saving device is quite another.

Wow Tab, you are seriously multi-talented, and very very busy. :D

Chay said:
Wow Tab, you are seriously multi-talented, and very very busy. :D

She sure is. Her vast knowledge, education and expertise is astounding. The lady knows of what she speaks.

JenniferSews said:
Why is light hearted humor always lost on this forum?

Humor can be very difficult to pull off in emails, posts, etc., because the reader can't "here" the voice or intonation the writer uses in his or her head when writing, so it's easy to misinterpret how it was actually meant. I, too, thought you intended to be sarcastic. When I want to make sure people know I'm not being serious, I'll put a "LOL" at the end of what I write, hoping that will make it clear.

We went out to a restaurant on our last anniversary. There was a child jumping up and down in the booth that the waiter was trying to seat us in. The waiter asked the child if he could hop down, the kid ignored him and continued to jump. No one knew who this kid belonged to, the waiter kept looking around the restaurant, trying to spot the parents. After a couple minutes of standing there, the kid got down and ran away.

He then spent the next 30 minutes running around in between the tables of the whole restaurant, and under the tables, and under MY table. Everyone was staring. Finally, his mother collected him and left. She was sitting a couple of tables away from us and never said a word to him - she could see him the entire time and ignored him.

Mind you this was not a McDonald's or something, but a nice restaurant.
So that was fun.

She was probably happy to have him away from her own table for a while. Hope it gave you something to laugh about and didn't totally ruin your dinner. Aren't you glad he wasn't coming home with you. :lol: That's what I always think as I'm covering my ears to block out the shrieking in the grocery stores, that this is only for a few minutes and that poor woman has to live with it! Happy Anniversary!

kelleyaynn said:
JenniferSews said:
Why is light hearted humor always lost on this forum?

Humor can be very difficult to pull off in emails, posts, etc., because the reader can't "here" the voice or intonation the writer uses in his or her head when writing, so it's easy to misinterpret how it was actually meant. I, too, thought you intended to be sarcastic. When I want to make sure people know I'm not being serious, I'll put a "LOL" at the end of what I write, hoping that will make it clear.

There was a :lol: at the end. I'm fine with people complaining. I have a good sense of humor and laugh a lot. Obviously I laugh at myself since I have 3 very young children and have eaten out and flown (gasp!!) People say awful things right to your face when you do either, but it flows off our backs like water. Give us a chance and you will find us and our children happy and fun. I'm sorry the OP had a bad night because of someone elses children, and to all those who had bad nights. I wasn't trying to start anything. I never am, athough it frequently seems like I am here for some reason.

I think some people are afraid to disipline their children. All you have to do is suggest you are going to spank your child & people start threatening to call CPS.

Tabitha said:
I think some people are afraid to disipline their children. All you have to do is suggest you are going to spank your child & people start threatening to call CPS.

I agree. I wonder how much that effects the way people raise their kids now. Especially in homes with divorced parents. All they need is a little fuel to throw on the fire.

More then once, I have complimented parents/grandparents in a restaurant for their well mannered children. The adults seem pleased to have their children/grandchildren acknowledged, and the children take it all in.....

There are many forms of effective discipline ,but spanking really????? I cannot imagine ,who cares about CPS or like agencies,would not the pain and fear in a child's eyes be deterrent enough?

Marianne1 said:
There are many forms of effective discipline ,but spanking really????? I cannot imagine ,who cares about CPS or like agencies,would not the pain and fear in a child's eyes be deterrent enough?

No one was promoting spanking. Please do not make a harmless observation statement into something it is not.

I will be the first to admit , I have smacked my son as I was smacked as a child, it didnt hurt me , and it sure didnt hurt Andrew either ...other than a bruised ego....now having said that I have never belted or left bruises.....BUT through trial and error I have found that removing privliges for bad behavior and rewarding good, I actually get a better response from him.....I am a single mum and my EX and I discuss anything to do with Andrew and how we are going to manage the issue....I know I am in the minority and am very lucky to be able to communicate with my EX well.....

What I am trying to say is if the children are running amock when out , then u can bet your last dollar they are not disiplined at home either .....or the parents just plain dont care .....

If we are out and I have to say to Andrew "we will be dealing with this when we get home " then he is crapping in his pants as he knows hes about to loose his internet or phone or TV ......so in my case this type of disipline works

Im all for disciplining kids, I dont have any yet but rest assured Im going to make sure they know how to behave. I dont think kids should be beat or anything like that. but you have to put the fear of disobeying into them while their young or theyll get out of hand and think they could do anything in the future. Its all a balancing act I guess; Im a psych major so I have seen a lot of developmental stuff etc... If someone threatened to call CPS on me for wackin my kid (lightly) on the arse in public.. Id hand them my phone and even dial the number for them... Kids need to learn virtues, values and morals at an early age, but it is a challenge regardless because all kids are different...

One thing I have seen though that REALLY drives me nuts is people who do this:

[ame=http://youtu.be/PtMRddAIHx0]Kid on a leash video[/ame]

I mean really!?!??! a kid on a leash!!?!?! cant you pay enough attention to your kid to not have to do that LOL

Ive seen a katt williams skit making fun of that and Id have to say Id rather be dead before i strapped my kid into one of these... lol

Wait, Ian. Just wait. Please be sure to return here when your youngest is about 3. We'd all love to hear about how all the decisions you made BEFORE you had kids workednout. ;). Srsly, no one plans on having "bad" kids. And even good kids go through difficult staged. fear... Well now that's a tough one. I myself believe in consequences, but not fear. Oh, and my kids are well behaved and respectful, for the most part.

I leashed my daughter when she was a wild young thing. Tho I never dragged her thru the store I was tempted.

I never leashed my son ....( not having a go at u carebear ) but I did hide in the shops once when he wouldnt follow.....and once he realised ....HOLY CRAP MUMS GONE ...( the fear or consequence what every u wanna call it ) he has never wandered or objected to following me again.....even to this day hes's 15 now , same goes for the car.....he wouldnt get in one day so I shut the door and Drove off slowly ( about 50 metres ) and he came screaming ...DONT LEAVE ME ..... lol....again he now gets in the car without complaint ......

Child harnesses can be very useful, I used to use one on my oldest son when we went someplace like the county fair that is packed with people and he was at that age when he was too big to carry around for long but young enough to wander off when something shiny caught his eye. My sister uses them on her twins during crowded events too.

lol yeah i think I d feel like i was walking a dog or something though...eeek!

We shall see what happens when I have kids... I know Im going to be up for a crazy time with the mix of my personality and my girls personality all in one lil bundle of joy lol..

good stuff! :)

Latest posts

Back