What did I do wrong?? (lots of pics) :(

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthylla

Reaction score
Grrrr. The gremlins made their way to PA.

I'm sort of kerflummoxed as to what went wrong here. The recipe:
17.7 oz Grade A Olive Oil
7.1 oz Coconut Oil
6.5 oz Shea Butter
1.1 oz Castor Oil
1 tbsp sugar & 1 tsp salt (dissolved in the water prior to adding lye)
8.5 oz Distilled Water
4.2 oz Lye
(8-10% lye discount and 20% water discount)
0.5 oz Lavender EO
0.5 oz Eucalyptus EO
0.5 oz Lemon EO (EOs added to oils just before adding lye)
2 "dash" of Chromium Green Oxide (dissolved in 1 tbsp of the water before lye)
3 "dash" Black Oxide (dissolved in 1 tbsp of the water before lye)

I soaped at 105 degrees. It SEEMED to emulsify, but didn't reach a heavy trace. I guess it was still pretty thin when added it to the color cups and then the mold. I immediately put it in the freezer and left it there for 12 hours. When I moved it to the closet yesterday morning, it looked fine.

THIS morning, however:
5664519443_84a13e53ca.jpg

5665086422_855b830172.jpg

(Yes, I put it in crooked!) :)

WTH? Why would it all collect on the top like that? I pH tested the middle... and it's an 8-9. I finally brought myself to do the zap test on the top (I was trying to convince myself it was really bad ash or freezer burn) and OW. So it's lye. :evil:

In addition, is this also a partial gel? Or just heavy lye topping?
5664521285_b34c52a057.jpg

5664522227_eb7e7cf4bb.jpg

5665088930_87cb71c9b2.jpg

Is this total rebatch material? Haven't had to do that yet. :cry:

It looks like soda ash and if so is harmless. Just wipe it off with a alcohol or a damp cloth.

lsg said:
It looks like soda ash and if so is harmless. Just wipe it off with a alcohol or a damp cloth.

It DID wipe right off. But how can I be sure? I guess I can try the zap test again after it dries?

it looks fine, that just ash, and rezap test in a few days, not right away!

MizzBee said:
Nothing wrong with that soap, it looks like ash, just wipe it away, it looks great...love the colors...what scent is it?

I'm not entirely sure. :) I had some EO's from a very brief "make your own cleaning products" phase, and figured I'd use them up. I can't smell the lemon at all, but the lavender and eucalyptus are both pretty strong.

Lavender, lemon and eucalyptus, that would be uplifting, if only we could smell it too :)

I just noticed that you posted up the EO's :oops: I shouldn't just look at the pictures :lol:

That looks like ash to me. When you don't gell your soaps can zap for a couple days. Just wait it out and it should be fine.

I agree with the others. It is ash

When I put a soap in the freezer it will still zap for about 3 days.

Love the colours ... really beautiful!

Hopefully it is just ash and your soap will be divine to look at, smell and use!

Latest posts

Back