What a disaster

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a 32 bar batch this afternoon. The fo was Bay Laurel from the now defunct Missy's Candles. It wasn't soap on a stick, but it came close. We dumped a large blob of batter in the middle of the mold and pushed it to the sides and corners. No pictures for now. Maybe when we cut it.

Ok! Maybe it's not all that bad! Looked at it this morning and saw:

IMG_4055.JPGIMG_4056.JPG

After pushing the very thick glob of batter into the sides and corners with our fingers, we covered it with silicone parchment paper and proceeded to roll it out using one of these:

IMG_4057.JPG
It's a roller used to roll out kitchen counter laminate. It was used here to even out the batter and work out any air pockets. As you can see, the even-ing out worked very well. The cut will reveal how it did with the air pockets.

The scent is fantastic. This was a very popular scent but I ran out of it. This 32 bar batch should last a while.

You do call THIS a disaster? You are setting quite high standards for catastrophes, my dear. o_O😄

Be sure to cut it early enough, in case it went out of saponification as quickly as it went into it, and might become hard & crumbly.

The Agony and the Ecstasy

So we cut the soap. It came out pretty good, with some notable exceptions. As was expected, a few of the bars had some serious air pockets. It's ok, though. Those bars will go to testers, family and friends. 🤣 I wish you could just smell it! It is heavenly! I can see why my clients were practically fighting over the last few bars from a previous batch. (3 years ago, no less!)

Anyway, here are some pics:

IMG_4058.JPGIMG_4059.JPGIMG_4060.JPGIMG_4061.JPGIMG_4062.JPGIMG_4063.JPG

Back