Weird things on the INCI list

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I'm one step further removed, Lindy. Mom and I were city-raised, but my grandmother grew up on a farm (and started cooking breakfast for the family at 8! Mother had died years before, and the older sister that had been handling it was moving out).

I'm not squeamish about the idea of where my food comes from... I just don't want to be the one handling it. lol Butterflying chicken or carving a cooked poultry carcass is about as much as I can take. It also ties into other areas where I have trouble--if people talk about injuries around me, then at some point I"ll start feeling faint. I have nearly fainted before in class when talking about major human injuries, once in third grade when I didn't even know what fainting was!

Not squeamish about where the food comes from just can't do the harvesting. I was a first responder for a couple of years and injuries or blood don't bother me. Now needles? Totally a different story! :sick:

Knitting and sewing needles I'm fine with, but medical needles? Please no!! I don't know what I'm going to do next time I need blood drawn... Probably faint outright.

I shudder to think about who and how and why beaver butt juice was first tasted and someone said "Hey this would be great in food"....
Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to know when I first read about it.

Those who have issues with medical stuff, needles, do not read further.

I've warned you.

Ok, so, nothing medical bothers me*. I have some health issues that started at a young age so I've been through it all. I can dissociate at will for the really bad stuff lol. This one isn't too bad. But one time I was in the ER being admitted, and the nurse asked me if I'd be ok with a nurse in training started my IV. I said sure, no problem. So she was trained to start them in the hand apparently, and examining my hands that wasn't going to work. So I showed her where on my elbow they generally do my IVs. I could tell how nervous she was just by how she was moving around and speaking. She gets the IV in and blood starts pouring out of the end. She hesitated a moment in horror, and then stuck her finger over the end to try to plug it as she reached for the stuff she needed off the tray. By the time she got the IV connected, pinched off, and taped down there was blood all over my forearm, I'd moved my leg JUST in time to not get blood all over my jeans, and it was dripping off the bed onto the floor. The supervising nurse had just stood in the back watching the whole time, and when it was over goes "yea, you got to be ready with the big veins" and walked out of the room. I felt SO bad for the poor girl! She was physically shaking, and kept apologizing over and over. I had to calm HER down! I kept telling her it was ok, I was fine, no big deal etc. She was just rambling on in anxiety and told me it was actually the very first IV she'd ever started, and had only finished the class earlier that day. I said hey, but you got it in on the first stick!

*except Drs who purposefully cause pain and don't care that they're causing you pain.

I said hey, but you got it in on the first stick!

Ya .. unlike the nurse who trained on me for her first I.V. and stuck me about 10 times before the trainer nurse stepped in to take over and get it done. I'm totally ok with needles and actually preferred the new nurse who was fumbly .. at least she didn't hurt me, even tho she poked me 10 times. The trainer jabbed me once but left an enormous bruise that covered 1/2 my arm.

...But one time I was in the ER being admitted, and the nurse asked me if I'd be ok with a nurse in training started my IV. I said sure, no problem. So she was trained to start them in the hand apparently, and examining my hands that wasn't going to work. So I showed her where on my elbow they generally do my IVs. I could tell how nervous she was just by how she was moving around and speaking. She gets the IV in and blood starts pouring out of the end. ... She was physically shaking, and kept apologizing over and over. I had to calm HER down! ... I said hey, but you got it in on the first stick!

I swear I have had this exact experience soooo many times. lol

And yes, getting it on the first stick is great! And really getting it -- not that thing where they stick and then slide it around underneath trying to find the vein they thought they felt... I hate that. I'd rather be stuck again. lol

When I was growing up, some Mexican friends of ours taught me how to make a lot of stuff, tamales, enchiladas (and sauce from scratch), HOT salsa, etc. And menuedo -- with beef tripe. I didn't know what it was then. I was like 10yrs old. And she wouldn't tell me. I loved the menuedo. and then I found out what tripe was. I still love menuedo --- but I hate making it with the tripe. I can eat it, but... I let hubby chop up the tripe. lol

And tongue. I cannot look at, prepare, or eat tongue. that one just squicks me. Not many things do, but that one does.

I'd also much prefer to be stuck again than when they move the needle around!

My veins are weak as a result of my genetic disorder. Once in the ER the nurse blew the vein and my arm started swelling suddenly. She asked me if it had hurt when she was starting the IV, I said yes and she started yelling at me for not telling her it did so she would have known it was blown sooner. Well excuse me, I was barely conscious at the time so sorry I wasn't paying attention to you! What I really hate though is when it starts to leak slowly and the saline gets in the tissues. My arm feels so cold along that side for quite a ways up; I'm not really sure how to describe the sensation but its weird. And then of course takes a long time for my arm to recover after.

I've got a bunch of bruising right now because I was in the ER wednesday night. I had a migraine that started monday and hadn't gone away. In fact it was starting to get better that afternoon, and then suddenly got very severe again but on the opposite side of my head as before (and opposite side as I usually get migraines.) So I ended up in the ER for medications, rehydration, and a CT scan. When the Dr said how my CT scan was normal and nothing strange was found my boyfriend asked if the normal stuff WAS found and everything there.

I come from a family that eats everything. ;) we didn't have a big farm but we had livestock that we used for our consumption. Nothing was wasted.
Brains are yum and lungs actually make a lovely stew. ;)
I am actually a trainee nurse and will probably sticking needles endlessly into some poor soul very soon. I am hopeless in finding veins. :)

Fuzz-juzz, if in doubt, most people have a pretty decent vein at the outermost part of the inside of the elbow, especially on their dominant arm. Really hard to miss that one. Heh, I think that's probably the one Lin and I have been discussing. And also, it's often helpful to ask patients if they have a preferred vein, especially if they're in for something chronic, they probably have a pretty good idea of what usually works for them, as well as what really really won't. :)

Oh, and I second asking the patient. I usually tell them I need the butterfly needle for blood draws that are not coming through an IV. Occasionally they think they know better than I, after all I'm not a medical professional I'm just the patient. Then stick me repeatedly before mumbling that they need the butterfly needle. Really most nurses or phlebotomists ask me "so where do you usually get stuck at"

I do hate IVs there actually though. Because the tubing gets crimped so easily if you bend your elbow slightly. I learned quickly what button to push when the IV starts beeping at you that the line is occluded. Drives me nuts when inpatient and on an IV for a while. But then it also seems to hurt less and get jerked less than the few times I've had IVs in the hand.... So not sure where my preference would be if I had a choice (the veins for it).

Good luck! Just always be honest and tell the patients things straight up. Or at least ask them if they want to know what your doing. I like to be told exactly when the stick is going to be, I want to know exactly what drug you're pushing into my IV right now or if its just a saline flush. Some people may prefer to be surprised. Definitely no lying. Even to kids. That drove me nuts growing up.

Last edited:
I am a nurse, and used to be an EMT(I did the nurse part first, then had an acute attack of lack of studying, so fixed it with EMT class.) I have seen and bandaged....well, I will save the squeamish the descriptions. And I have a cast iron stomach when it comes to patients and wounds and such.

But, don't even mention food when I am dealing with the squicky stuff. Just don't. REALLY don't. Don't ask me why. I can either deal with patient stuff or food. Just not both anytime close together.

Oh, and I ALWAYS ask patients where they get the best results for IVs and blood draws. No use trying the same places others failed. And, after all, that patient was there for every one of them.

Last edited:
When I was a first responder I was also the trainer so I made a bunch of teaching aids. To say the least they were gory, but necessary.

So, I love my DH 99% of the time but sometimes I wonder... He likes to Google things on my cell phone and then leave them there for me to open up and see. Well today was a Google for cat poop. When I opened my phone, it opened to this Wikipedia article. Eww: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

I told him in the end if I wanted to see cat poop I would just go peek into the litter boxes. Men...

Latest posts

Back