Weird things on the INCI list

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
I know people's ideas of what's weird and what isn't can be highly subjective. I probably find some of these things weirder than others do but I can't place them in cosmetics. By that, I mean I don't want to place them in my cosmetics.

So, I was flipping through the INCI list. I hit the section "Biological additives" and I realise now how clueless I've been. I've never needed to know INCI info other than the basics for soaps and creams. I was just looking for kicks. Eyes now wide open :shock:.

I'd heard of bugs, fish scales and things like that being in cosmetics but heart extract and spinal cord? Basically someone was making a cosmetic application somewhere and went, "you know, what this needs is a dash of heart and a pinch of spinal cord". Udder, umbilical cord, spleen, brain, liver, stomach and my favourite, Bovine calf skin (hydrolysed of course :Kitten Love:). I'm all for not wasting bits but this is like the Witches of Eastwick meet up with the Wizard of Oz and make bad haggis.

Awww no way. Just found ethyl minkate. Oils, mink. Poor mink is an emollient. Run little emollient! Run! Bet I can find eye of newt if I keep looking.

You know, as icky as some of those sound, to me nothing beats good old fashioned beaver butt juice. "Beaver butt juice??? In cosmetics???" you might say... Nope. In food. There is a secretion from the anal glands of beavers that is used in flavorings, and guess what? It only has to be listed on the ingredients as "natural flavor". Isn't that awesome? I shudder to think about who and how and why beaver butt juice was first tasted and someone said "Hey this would be great in food"....

You know, as icky as some of those sound, to me nothing beats good old fashioned beaver butt juice. "Beaver butt juice??? In cosmetics???" you might say... Nope. In food. There is a secretion from the anal glands of beavers that is used in flavorings, and guess what? It only has to be listed on the ingredients as "natural flavor". Isn't that awesome? I shudder to think about who and how and why beaver butt juice was first tasted and someone said "Hey this would be great in food"....

I'll bet it doesn't cause cancer in rats in California though. Plus, it's 100% natural. Organic? Oh yeah! :thumbup:

Use everything except the squeal.

Yeah, I am a Cajun. We use EVERY part that is at all potentially usable of whatever it is. It is how you save money(Cajuns are a peasant culture.), and pay respect to the animal and the hard work it took getting it to harvest size.
And we have a reputation of 'eating every critter that has it's back to the sun.'

Yeah, I am a Cajun. We use EVERY part that is at all potentially usable of whatever it is. It is how you save money(Cajuns are a peasant culture.), and pay respect to the animal and the hard work it took getting it to harvest size.
And we have a reputation of 'eating every critter that has it's back to the sun.'

:thumbup::thumbup:

Another water snorting thread .. remind me not to bend over in the vicinity of Neeners or Susie :mrgreen: hahahah

This is just another reason not to eat haggis or hand lotion for that matter!

I struggled enough with visits to the Hutterite Colony on "chicken head soup" night. It's not the soup that I find disturbing because I can always just stick to the broth but the lustful way they suck the eyeballs and brains from the skulls .. YUM!!! *shudders*

Yum! Chicken soup for the soul!
chicken.jpg

All right MzMolly you just made me shudder....

Then my job here is done!!!

My poor, city raised hubby dies every time I talk about life on the farm. He just can't fathom anything beyond nice, sterile, chicken breast wrapped in plastic. He lived with Asian roommates for many, many years but always left the room while the chopping was going on .. soft poof!

Meanwhile I was the farm kid who made puppets with the chicken's heads on butcher day and had cow pat fights with my cousins ....... and reading what I just wrote made me realize why I never quite fit in with the other school kids :problem: ***crawls back under rock***

I was a city kid but with farming/homesteading family so I am somewhat okay with a lot of things my peers aren't. I know how to clean a chicken, I just don't like doing it. I find the older I get the more squeamish I have become. LOL

lol I'm one step further removed, Lindy. Mom and I were city-raised, but my grandmother grew up on a farm (and started cooking breakfast for the family at 8! Mother had died years before, and the older sister that had been handling it was moving out).

I'm not squeamish about the idea of where my food comes from... I just don't want to be the one handling it. lol Butterflying chicken or carving a cooked poultry carcass is about as much as I can take. It also ties into other areas where I have trouble--if people talk about injuries around me, then at some point I"ll start feeling faint. I have nearly fainted before in class when talking about major human injuries, once in third grade when I didn't even know what fainting was!

Derpina, I am so sorry, this thread has taken a wrong turn somewhere and I think I was driving the bus...

ROFL good thing you were driving cause I posted then fell asleep at the wheel.

Ok, so dead bits in cosmetics is considered normal, even umbilical cords and Mr Mink. I feel so naïve lol. I'm still a little disturbed (but that's another issue entirely). Also just noticed shellac, propane and petroleum. Seriously, WTH is on my face?

Oh, was a bread crumb off my toast from breakfast.

Really, this list might be enough to turn me into a hippy.

I just learned about that recently and I will be throwing out my fruit flavored extracts (I guess strawberry, raspberry, etc. have this beaver butt juice-:sick::sick: Really???? There are some people in this world that have tooooo much time on their hands...
Cheers! Plus a little pepto
Anna Marie

that's what my great grandma used to say! we're Chinese.....so we already have a reputation......

Lol! My husband is Chinese and from the old country, and he eats a lot of, errr, interesting things like partially formed chickens in eggs, chicken feet, cow stomach lining, and I think I will be praying to the porcelain god soon....
Cheers!
Anna Marie

How cool AnnaMarie! I don't eat many weird things....I've seen those fetal chicks, and I doubt I'd ever be able to make myself eat that. I do like myself some chicken feet and tripe at dim sum tho....yum!

Latest posts

Back