Webstaurant Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie

Reaction score
I am an idiot.... I signed up to make quite a bit of soap, for free.
Has anyone tried any of their oils in soap? I'm looking at the coconut, canola (a variety of options but what looks to be the high oleic has anti-foaming agents), and palm (donut fry) oils. I will probably go with oils I have used previously from NDA for this project as there is a short deadline, but if any of you have first hand experience with any of these oils I might go ahead and try now.
*wringing hands, banging head*

P.s. any other suggestions for cheap carrier oils welcome!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Soaper’s Choice. I compared webstaurant several years ago and not that good of a deal. Delivery is fast too as amd said. I get it even quicker. I can order today and have it by Thursday.

Sunflower oil is generally not too pricey. It's not your highest-quality oil, but I use it with good results. It's one of the base oils in my usual recipe. I've gotten it from Walmart, Great Value brand for around $12 for a gallon.

Not knowing where you live, but do you have a restaurant supply or Smart and Final? I get Palm Shortening and Lard from S&F pretty cheap and Canola HO from Restaurant Depot. Some Costco Business Centers also carry Canola HO very inexpensively. I am one of the strange ones that happen to like Canola HO and Sunflower HO. Here the Business Centers carry different oils than the regular Costco's.

Big Lots carries several sizes of coconut oil, although it can be hit or miss on finding it in stock. Their regular price of $12.00 for a 102 ounce jars works out to right at the same price per ounce as I pay to get a 50 lb bucket from Soapers Choice.

They frequently have percentage off, usually about 20%, your entire purchase coupons which gets the price lower. Right after this past Christmas they ran a 50% off your entire purchase coupon. I was down to about 2 pounds of my last 50 pound buckets so I hustled over to Big Lots and grabbed up 8 of the 102 ounce jars.

I've gotten it from Walmart, Great Value brand for around $12 for a gallon.
I've used this one and it's not HO sunflower oil. Not good for soapmaking. My soaps with 10% were fine, but when I upped it to 20% & 30%, my soaps developed DOS within a few months of finished cure.

There is a great article here: https://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.asp to help you determine the grocery store oils oleic rating.

Back