Wanted Custom Pull-through Plates

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve got requests out to the place I bought my set, and another well known online source. They’re probably pretty busy. Responses are taking awhile. I’ve got some ideas I’d like to get in sooner than later.
Anyone know someone with a laser cutter who does, or could do, this kind of project?
TIA

Someone on this forum was talking about making these with a 3D printer, and another person responded that local libraries often have 3D printers available. The printers have come way down in price, too. I think the recommended brand was Creality?

ETA: There were some Etsy sellers who make 3D-printed items to order.

Someone on this forum was talking about making these with a 3D printer, and another person responded that local libraries often have 3D printers available. The printers have come way down in price, too. I think the recommended brand was Creality?

ETA: There were some Etsy sellers who make 3D-printed items to order.
I think these are computer cut from sheets of acrylic.

Anyone know someone with a laser cutter who does said:
Yup, me!
I'm looking into making pull-throughs for NZ soap makers.
A laser cutter is much more economical than 3D printing, and a heck of a lot quicker too!

Making the actual design in acrylic is easy to do, but they need to be made to fit the mold...

My problem is finding the material for the molds - I've looked at acrylic tubes (very expensive), cardboard containers (a bit squishy, and you cant see what's happening) and other round, square, rectangular containers - not much available here.

Haven't tried PVC pipes yet, but from some of the posts on here I gather the soap tends to stick to it and not eject cleanly?

Round, and rectangular PVC downpipes I can get, 'would need to make a removable end cap for the base (that doesn't leak).

My molds are 3” pvc. Thin layer of petroleum jelly on the inside, then when they’re done, put them in the freezer for a bit, they slide right out!

Thanks TashaBird ! Perhaps I should just give it a go and make some - then NZers will let me know if they are something they want.

I was thinking that PVC would need some sort of 'pusher' to get the soap out after taking the base cover off - but going from your experience that may not be necessary at all.

I wonder if a Kiwi shape would work as the plate, and other recognizable NZ shapes, perhaps a Tuatara, or the outline of Mt Cook.
But large shapes like that might need to have two pulling rods on the outside, rather than a central one.

I use PVC pipes and don’t line them or grease them. I do put them in the freezer for an hour, and then let them sit out for about ten minutes. The condensation formed as they defrost is enough for them to slide right out.

However, I will say that my recipe is mostly lard and CO. When I used a recipe with 20% soft oils for my first pull-through, I had to use a soup can as a pusher for the first time ever. I think that’s because I forgot that the recipe with soft oils needed to harden an extra 12 hours longer than my usual recipe.

Regarding the pull-rod, I have three tools that use a center rod, and one that uses two side rods. I’ve seen soapers on YT move a single center rod to the side, and it works just fine there, as well.

Regarding the pull-rod, I have three tools that use a center rod, and one that uses two side rods.

Ah ha! That's good news to hear. Some of the designs I have in mind wont be possible with a single, central rod. Two rods would be easier to use, but would increase the cost of making them. (The length of stainless rod could well cost more than the acrylic disk)

A single off-center rod may work as well as two, especially as I intend to use 4.5mm thick acrylic (~3/16")

My main problem when making soap tools is that I don't make soap myself, and so have to rely on first, persuading someone to try it, and then getting a report on any faults they may find.
This can lead to a l..o..n..g.. 'Trial, test, change, trial [repeat]' time!

There are several NZ soapers in this forum; hopefully one or more would be willing to help you test. If not, I'd recommend sending it to @TashaBird as your tester. Even though she is in the US, she is the reigning pull-through queen. ;)

Thanks TashaBird ! Perhaps I should just give it a go and make some - then NZers will let me know if they are something they want.

I was thinking that PVC would need some sort of 'pusher' to get the soap out after taking the base cover off - but going from your experience that may not be necessary at all.

I wonder if a Kiwi shape would work as the plate, and other recognizable NZ shapes, perhaps a Tuatara, or the outline of Mt Cook.
But large shapes like that might need to have two pulling rods on the outside,
Some shapes may not translate effectively. It’s new territory, but that’s what I’m finding. I’m starting to see what kinds of cuts can work, but testing is early. Even when they’re wrong, they look cool though!
I use theflat inside of a jar lid and my fist to push the soap out. When lubed and chilled it works great!

I got my original rods from wildplantanica.com

I got my original rods from wildplantanica.com
Thanks TashaBird. I can get (galvanized) threaded rod here, not sure if Stainless is available though.

However, I'm thinking of using straightened SS rod which is even cheaper than threaded galvanized, and add 5+mm of thread on the end - since I have the tools for that already (used to make acrylic cake stands).

And, since I'll be threading the end only, I'll probably put a threaded hole in the acrylic (another reason for using the thicker material).
That way, no double nuts necessary - which again, means the whole item will be cheaper to buy.

Have to admit: I'm a bit horrified at their price for the plates - $8US for one or $45US for 9. That's a bit under $NZ12 and a bit over $NZ66.
$US7 for the rod is reasonable though.
Bob

Oops! Part of someone else's reply got left in mine.
In the following, only the first sentence is mine:
'
But large shapes like that might need to have two pulling rods on the outside,
Some shapes may not translate effectively. It’s new territory, but that’s what I’m finding. I’m starting to see what kinds of cuts can work, but testing is early. Even when they’re wrong, they look cool though!
I use theflat inside of a jar lid and my fist to push the soap out. When lubed and chilled it works great!

Would 3" plates be a good size for USA makers?

I've now got a 'kit-set' designed but would appreciate comments from someone actually using the plates.

I'd be happy to send a set to you TashaBird. What diameter is the rod you use, and would you want a plain 'clearance' hole in the plates, or have it threaded to screw the rod in?

And, if 3" dia isn't right for you, please advise.

Would 3" plates be a good size for USA makers?

I've now got a 'kit-set' designed but would appreciate comments from someone actually using the plates.

I'd be happy to send a set to you TashaBird. What diameter is the rod you use, and would you want a plain 'clearance' hole in the plates, or have it threaded to screw the rod in?

And, if 3" dia isn't right for you, please advise.
I use 3” plates, preferably side mounted, and I think the rod size is #6-32 course (does that sound like a measurement?). I’d love to check em out!!! Plain hole.

Ah, good - I can easily adjust the size but don't need to then.
(We are talking about round plates I hope)
We're all metric in NZ, but your #6-32 does sound like a thread type!

Ok, I'll check that out and put a plain hole (near the edge if possible)
so you can use your rod with a nut each side (that sounds right?) and send a set.

Can you PM me with the address please?
They may take a while to arrive, so best wishes with your election meantime.
Edit: Please also advise max size of nuts (across points) so I dont get them too close to the edge (some designs dont have much room left)

This may seem 'way out there' but - because I'm using a fully threaded rod to lift the plates - I've wondered if a motor-driven lift could be added!

It would probably only work on plates with a side hole rod (not central) and would clip onto the top of the mold (somehow!) and the motor would be geared down with the gear meshing with a disk on the threaded rod....

Probably battery operated (don't want to mix mains power and wet soap) and the whole idea is that by flipping the switch the plate would start to slowly rise and you could pour the batter(s) in as it does so.

The advantage would be a nice smooth upward movement - hands free - while squirting the soap batter down the mold.

Does this sound like it might be useful?
Perhaps a foot-switch to run/stop the lift?
Or is it a crazy idea that should never get off the ground...

Last edited:
YES, YES, YES! I wanna try! I love Tasha’s pull through soap! I’ve made pour through in a cylinder using a sink strainer and have tried to adapt some silicone egg poachers as pull throughs but not yet game to try them. I use a PVC pipe with a silicone mat as a liner. So the plate would need to be smaller. Here’s my pics - I called it my ‘brain scan’ soap :)
036CBFBF-9FC7-4400-8813-F9BAACD246BC.jpeg7982AF8C-A8C7-47EE-BE83-B90727CA8230.jpegBF63655C-17B6-42B9-B7B0-68505D4DA29D.jpeg

While I've listed it as a 'kit-set' on TradeMe, I'll also be listing individual parts of the kit - since most people can pick up the PVC tube at their local plumbers/Bunnings/Mitre10 etc.

And, changing the size of the discs is very easy to do, Just tell me what size you want !

They are designed at 3" diameter, but because the laser cuts 'on the line' actual size is a tiny bit under - purposely of course, to get a bit of clearance.
(The 'kerf' is about 0.2mm wide)

While I've listed it as a 'kit-set' on TradeMe, I'll also be listing individual parts of the kit - since most people can pick up the PVC tube at their local plumbers/Bunnings/Mitre10 etc.

And, changing the size of the discs is very easy to do, Just tell me what size you want !

They are designed at 3" diameter, but because the laser cuts 'on the line' actual size is a tiny bit under - purposely of course, to get a bit of clearance.
(The 'kerf' is about 0.2mm wide)
Cool what’s the listing number? Or how can I get in touch?
ETA: found it! Would like some different shapes and slightly smaller plates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back