want to try wax tarts

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

quiltertoo

Reaction score
I have many 1 oz samples of fragrances. Some of them don't appeal to me for soap but I think I would like as tarts. I am just beginning to research how to make them. I know to check if the f.o. is o.k. for candles. Is there any advise you all would care to give me before I start. I would appreciate it very much.

Mary Lou

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If you scroll to the bottom of this page there are previous threads about this subject.

navigator9

Reaction score
Just a thought...if you decide that wax tarts aren't for you, you could always use a diffuser. I have a few different kinds, but they all have a little reservoir that you fill with water, and then add a few drops of FO. There's a place underneath the reservoir to place a tea light candle, and when you light it, it warms the water, which evaporates and scents the room.

traderbren

Reaction score
I have several fragrances I hated in soap or body lotions, but love in wax tarts. I already had wax from candle making for many years, but you can easily pick up soy wax for yours. You want a wax that specifies it is for votives or pillars and not containers. I weigh my wax, melt it down, add the recommended percentage of FO and color, and pour into clamshell containers I pick up from Nature's Garden. They have 6 little breakaway cubes in each shell.

quiltertoo

Reaction score
Thank you Traderbren. I was looking at wax at Natures Garden but none of them specified they were for tarts.. You have answered my question. Pillars or votives, not containers. Now I will order some.

Mary Lou

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I make tarts every now and again just for me, which means that I only make one or 2 at a time when the fancy strikes me.

First, I make what I call unscented 'blanks' by melting my wax down and pouring it into the cavities if a silicone mini-muffin pan.

Once completely cooled, I pop them out and store them in a polypropylene bag until I feel like making a tart.

When I feel like making a tart, I take out a 'blank', weigh it, and then melt it down in a silicone egg poacher either in the oven or in a pot of simmering water (bain-marie). Once melted, I add FO as per the weight and leave it right in the silicone egg poacher to cool/solidify (It makes a dome-shaped tart that fits nicely in the well of my tart burner).

Once cool, I pop it out and let it cure a few days before using.

I really love those silicone egg poachers. They've made my small-scale tart making endeavors (and lip-balm making endeavors) so much easier. These are the kind I use: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P6FD3I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator: