Want to see a FO color change? Good pic for Newbies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread that showed Newbie's how an FO could change color.
Maybe others can show before and after too on This thread to help them out :)

So I had this FO from years ago and no notes on it. No longer sold anywhere either.
Please note that the OO in this recipe was infused with Annatto seeds.

I had posted this 1st pic in the 'air holes' thread on March 29. It is the ones in the back, scent was lemon Meringue Pie (2 have the tops of Blueberry), the Blueberry scents is in the front.
20180330_105446[1].jpg

Here it is today, you can really tell the difference from the one that DID NOT change color. I moved them so you can see better.
Kinda cool, but not what I was expecting. If I was selling these I would just Embrace the Mix color !
20180406_103810[1].jpg

There was a challenge using discoloring FOs in September 2015. Here is the entry thread.

The most unusual color change due to an FO I've had was using Dirty from Nurture. It discolored to purple and stayed that way for quite a long time. The soap is now a couple of weeks shy of being one year old and the purple has faded to a medium tan color. Here are pictures, wet in the mold, after gelling in the mold, freshly cut, and discoloring to purple.Dirty Discoloration Wet.jpg DSC01782_0460.JPG Dirty Discoloration1.jpg Dirty Discoloration.jpg

I learned this lesson the hard way, also with lemon Meringue. I made 300 guests soaps with it to donate to a non profit education conference and they were beautiful yellow and white. When I went to pack them up, they were all dark brown. I also embraced the color change because they looked like i had made them that way because the brown was even thank God, too late to redo them all.

Every color change that I have had in the far past had been even change. I think I was lucky.
I have a bunch of Fo's that are older, some I can't read the labels .
I will not be planning that anything comes out great ;)

This is why I love using my vanilla stabilizer (works great, even with non vanilla fragrances). I've really never had any surprises with discoloring fragrances when using the vs, and there are no uneven patches. If I want a certain color, with the vs I don't have to worry about getting something wonky, I just color with my mica.
I have however, had surprises with unstable micas, but that's a different story for a different thread. LOL

This is why I love using my vanilla stabilizer (works great, even with non vanilla fragrances). I've really never had any surprises with discoloring fragrances when using the vs, and there are no uneven patches. If I want a certain color, with the vs I don't have to worry about getting something wonky, I just color with my mica.
I have however, had surprises with unstable micas, but that's a different story for a different thread. LOL
this is where I get confused because when I was looking at vanilla stabilizer some are marked for melt and pour and some are marked for cold process but I'm not sure what to use for hot process.

this is where I get confused because when I was looking at vanilla stabilizer some are marked for melt and pour and some are marked for cold process but I'm not sure what to use for hot process.
Use the cold process one for HP.

And remember too, not all vanilla stabilizers are created equally. I have used MANY form different suppliers, and the only one I ever had GREAT results with is the from BCN. Using that one, I can stave off any discoloring from 9 months to a year to indefinitely depending on % of the discoloring agent (usually vanillin but not always) in the fragrance.

Most of the other vs' I would use and the soap would start to turn before there was even a full cure.

For those who don't know (like I didn't - abbreviations are a PIA for new soapers), BCN apparently stands for Bitter Creek North (per other posts on this forum, though Google says no such place exists (it defaults to www.candlesupply.com and "North" is nowhere in that name).

Could someone clarify?

Last edited:
For those who don't know (like I didn't - abbreviations are a PIA for new soapers), BCN apparently stands for Bitter Creek North (per other posts on this forum, though Google says no such place exists (it defaults to www.candlesupply.com and "North" is nowhere in that name).

Could someone clarify?

There is an acronym and abbreviation thread at the beginning of the beginners section. I know I had to refer to it when I was a newbie. Small inconvenience for the knowledge gained. BCN is Bitter Creek North, and is listed under the supplier acronyms.

Could someone clarify?

Bitter Creek used to just be Bitter Creek, a suppier that was only in Wisconsin, with the acronym BC, and they secured the www.candlesupply.com website many many years ago. At some point they opened a second location in the South and signified themselves on boards like this as BCN (Bitter Creek North) and BCS (Bitter Creek South). They differentiated themselves that way on Forums like this because they carried different supplies and FO's at each location, so it was easier for the forum members to know which BC you were talking about when using the signifiers, BCS or BCN. It was that way for years, so it just continued to carry over with people who have been around forever to still use BCN when describing the only Bitter Creek left - which is the one in WI.

HTH

Latest posts

Back