Quantcast

Vitamin E oil

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
Has anyone used this in cold process? Found it in Walgreens on sale. Figured worth a try. And how much PPO?

1457465995859.jpg

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If it's 100% Vitamin E you should be fine. I would use it at 1%. I don't use it in soap though.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like it's mainly safflower oil with some vitamin E mixed it. I'm not sure about the ratio of 56000 international units would be...

If you added that to your soap, you'd mainly be superfatting with safflower oil.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Yep, it is probably a whole lot of safflower oil and very little Vit E.

jennyannlowe

Reaction score
I didn't pay much for it and that should have been my first clue! Oh...I want to try some tussah silk. Can someone recommend a cheap source ? Good quality?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Based on the DOS/rancidity tests conducted by Dr. Kevin Dunn and recorded in his book 'Scientific Soapmaking', vitamin E is pretty much useless in soap (it showed no prophylactic effect in his tests). If you wish to use something to stave off DOS/rancidity, the most effective things to use are either Tetrasodium EDTA or ROE, or a combination of BHT with sodium citrate.

IrishLass :)

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Based on the DOS/rancidity tests conducted by Dr. Kevin Dunn and recorded in his book 'Scientific Soapmaking', vitamin E is pretty much useless in soap (it showed no prophylactic effect in his tests). If you wish to use something to stave off DOS/rancidity, the most effective things to use are either Tetrasodium EDTA or ROE, or a combination of BHT with sodium citrate.
Yes and ROE + EDTA is good too.