Vanillin oxidizing inhibitor in bath bombs and bath melts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I have a lot lovely fragrances with vanillin which will turn my bath products brown over time.
How do you deal with that? I use mostly dark colours till now but would love to make white products which don't discolour.
I have a water dissolved vanillin stabilisator but don't use water in bath bombs and melts.

I'm not aware of anything that will stop it in bath bombs etc. I either go with the discoloration or don't use it. I use VS in my soaps with great results but not in bath bombs.

Last edited:
I tried a vanilla stabilizer in bubble bars (scoops), it didn't work for all fragrances, but some did work very well. I couldn't find a rhyme and reason for which ones worked and which didn't - one has a 9% content and it's holding beautifully with no funky smell, and another example has 3% content and turned brown, both made the same way on the same day, same FO supplier. I'm now on the "no vanillan" bandwagon for my non-soapy stuff.

Thank you for your insights! At the moment I still use darker colours because I have a lot of mixed fragrances with at least a bit of vanilla. But I am also thinking about not using vanilla at all.
Its just so frustrating because the fragrances go really well together with pastel colours.

Latest posts

Back