Using Butter in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milk soaps (as long as they are made using the split method rather than full milk) are fine once you add a fragrance. Any fragrance will do, just something.

Butter smell, even clarified butter, OTOH, is not able to be covered as far as I can tell. I have tried as little as 1 ounce in a 3 lb batch of soap, and I could still smell it. I thought it would be an easier way to get that milk fat into soap without fooling with freezing milk.

Frozen milk? I almost always over froze and had a block of milk to deal with. Not fun. Split methods all the way for me.

How about the soap that is made of ghee?
Someone was posting that he makes soap using ghee, shea butter and stearic acid, I think he sells it, what do you think guys about his soap?
He didn't give percentage.

Personal opinion- I would buy that soap unless I had a chance to smell it.

If I sub the ghee with a hard oil, does the formula make sense? I haven't heard about a formula like that before.

Milk soaps (as long as they are made using the split method rather than full milk) are fine once you add a fragrance. Any fragrance will do, just something.

Butter smell, even clarified butter, OTOH, is not able to be covered as far as I can tell. I have tried as little as 1 ounce in a 3 lb batch of soap, and I could still smell it. I thought it would be an easier way to get that milk fat into soap without fooling with freezing milk.

What is the milk split method?

Not Susie, but the split method is mixing the lye with an equal amount of water to dissolve then adding the difference I'm milk to your oils and blending well then add your cooled lye mixture. You can also add powdered milk.
I even add the powdered gm into my oils and stick blend well, since I found the powdered gm mixes better for me in my oil.

Ghee is just clarified butter. Everything that's been said about butterfat aka milkfat also applies to ghee.

What do I think about the guy's soap ... well, look at what's been said already in this thread about soap with butterfat in it. I think that sums up the matter pretty clearly as far as the butterfat smell issue. As far as the other qualities of a soap recipe with butterfat, stearic, and shea ... ugh. If that's all that's in there (besides rosin, perhaps) this seems very heavy in the palmitic and stearic acids.

I'd like a link to the website where this soap is being sold or to the forum thread you're referencing, please. I want to see for myself what you're talking about.

No, rosin doesn't cover up the smell. It adds its own characteristic odd odor. I can't say the two would be any better than either one alone as far as odor. Rosin would add bubbles and detergency (cleansing power), but I can think of easier ways to get those qualities in the soap besides rosin. Unless a person just wants to use rosin to try it.

Subs for butterfat would be lard, tallow or palm.

Someone was posting that he makes soap using ghee, shea butter and stearic acid, I think he sells it, what do you think guys about his soap?

I was wondering about that post and thinking I may have read it or something similar, but I don't know where. Do you know if it was here on SMF?

Anyway, I did a search and so far am not finding a thread that includes a soap using ghee, shea butter, stearic acid and rosin. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It just means I can't find it.

I did find this one about a soaper using ghee in a soap she called Butcher's Soap in 2012: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=28219

Ghee is just clarified butter. Everything that's been said about butterfat aka milkfat also applies to ghee.

What do I think about the guy's soap ... well, look at what's been said already in this thread about soap with butterfat in it. I think that sums up the matter pretty clearly as far as the butterfat smell issue. As far as the other qualities of a soap recipe with butterfat, stearic, and shea ... ugh. If that's all that's in there (besides rosin, perhaps) this seems very heavy in the palmitic and stearic acids.

I'd like a link to the website where this soap is being sold or to the forum thread you're referencing, please. I want to see for myself what you're talking about.

No, rosin doesn't cover up the smell. It adds its own characteristic odd odor. I can't say the two would be any better than either one alone as far as odor. Rosin would add bubbles and detergency (cleansing power), but I can think of easier ways to get those qualities in the soap besides rosin. Unless a person just wants to use rosin to try it.

I had severe spinal and knee injury for the last few months, I couldn't do a lot of things, so I started reading about making soap in other languages and I came across one group of beginners who were just experimenting on their own with so much mistakes, I tried to help as much as I can but that's too much for me to deal with I wish I could refer them here to benefit but they don't speak English. I read strange things like this guy is answering a question about how to make lotion bars and at the end he is saying if it's too hard add water to soften it.
I saved some of the things that I have read over there to ask about them here. One of them was one guy was arguing with me that knowing the fatty acids is not as important to make soap, bty he is the one who told me about his batch of soap made with ghee. They advise each other to use rosin as preservative, I didn't know that the soap needed preservative it's not a lotion or cream, I read so many similar things. I am having intensive treatment going on that is taking plenty of my time. I'll post from time to time some of their questions here if that's ok with you guys.

Last edited:
I tried clotted cream soap forgetting about the butyric acid. It was unbearable, probably the only disaster bars that I have just thrown out without trying to rebatch or fix.

I think that this soap is not one that I would have on my table to sell. It would be my luck to have a smoker come over and take a whiff of that type of soap.

Latest posts

Back