US postage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilyJo

Reaction score
Wasnt sure where to put this so feel free to move somewhere more suitable?

Can any of our US members clarify a postage/import question for me please? Just checking on Royal Mail and other websites that there seems to be a restriction on soap, candles, EO, beauty/toiletry products into the US. I think this is a new change as ive seen a bit of traffic on it on IG too but wasnt sure where it's a CBP/FDA change or if it's a carrier change.

Anyone have any ideas?

IG? CBP/FDA? I gather FDA = food and drug administration? But not sure what the other abbreviations mean.

USPS is focused on international shipping from the US to other countries. Your Royal Mail is going to be the better source of info about shipping from the UK to other countries.

See this listing for materials prohibited for shipment from the UK to the US -- https://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america Near the bottom of this long list is this --

"...Soap, organic surface-active agents, washing preparations, lubricating preparations, artificial waxes, prepared waxes, polishing or scouring preparations, candles and similar articles, modelling pastes, "dental waxes" and dental preparations with a basis of plaster..."

Cosmetics are also listed as prohibited in another section of this article with a citation of the "...Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 25 June 1938, as amended, and in violation of section 801 of that Act. ...."

IG? CBP/FDA? I gather FDA = food and drug administration? But not sure what the other abbreviations mean.

USPS is focused on international shipping from the US to other countries. Your Royal Mail is going to be the better source of info about shipping from the UK to other countries.

See this listing for materials prohibited for shipment from the UK to the US -- https://www.royalmail.com/united-states-america Near the bottom of this long list is this --

"...Soap, organic surface-active agents, washing preparations, lubricating preparations, artificial waxes, prepared waxes, polishing or scouring preparations, candles and similar articles, modelling pastes, "dental waxes" and dental preparations with a basis of plaster..."

Cosmetics are also listed as prohibited in another section of this article with a citation of the "...Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 25 June 1938, as amended, and in violation of section 801 of that Act. ...."

IG = Instagram
CBP = customs and border protection

Yes the Royal Mail website was the bit I was already referencing.

This is a new restriction that seems to affect North America (US, Canada and I think, Mexico) its not something Royal Mail normally restricts. I was keen to see if anyone in the USA knows if the rules or regs in America have changed as until very recently there were no problems sending such products to the States.

I understand our local customs regs but it seems odd that its changed so dramatically and no one seems to know why.

Latest posts

Back