unwhipped whipping cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordica

Reaction score
:roll: Hi...I'm new to this forum and hope I don't screw up. My name is Nordica and I've been making M and P soap..off and on...for a few months. I work at a grocery store and am always looking for new things to use for my soap. Has anyone ever heard of using 'whipping cream'...from the carton (not whipped). Please tell me if I'm posting correct..am I suppose to have a profile?? Thanks.... :oops:

I don't think adding it to the M&P base is feasible, but I could be wrong. I know you can use it in cold process soap, though.

Hi Nordica,

Welcome to the forum! :D

I have heard of adding cream to a MP - 1 tablespoon to one pound of base. I've never tried it so I don't know how well it will work. Although, I'd think you'd have to stir it really, really well. I don't know if you've tried adding extra oil yet but you don't want to add too much because it will reduce the lather. I think the same amount is recommended for oil as for cream but don't hold me to it. It's been a long time since I've done MP.

BTW, cream is wonderful in cold process if you ever decide you want to try CP.

I don't know why you're concerned about screwing up. MP really is very forgiving. If you mess up, just remelt and add a little more base to the pot. You also posted in the correct section. But don't worry about posting in the wrong section. The mods and admins can easily move a topic if it's more relevant for another section.

You don't have to fill in a profile if you don't want. I never filled mine in, either. :wink:

Whipping cream will go bad in MP. (Tried it, got moldy soap) With MP, pretty much anything that will go bad sitting out on your counter, will go bad in MP. Many MP soapers have also had problems with powdered milks getting moldy in their soaps. Which makes sense since MP is a "water based product" and you're basically making milk then.

I'm not a fan of sticking oils & butters in MP because it really doesn't do anything except add label appeal. If after using your soap for a while you still feel like it needs an added butter or oil, I'd try a different MP base, since adding extra oils & butters will decrease any lathering.

As for what you can put in MP: oatmeal, some spices, cocoa, cosmetic clay, calendula, fruit seeds (some do go brown though), salt (don't use dead sea salt because it sweats), you can make sugar scrubs with it, then of course colors & fo's or eo's as well.

Back