Uncoloured lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I made a soap without colouring it and I had forgotten just how lovely a soap with a high lard content can look -

IMG_20220306_134515_355.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_205402_694.jpg
    IMG_20220305_205402_694.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 18
They look so creamy. Are they scented?

Yes, with lemongrass. My last batch of lemongrass was a lovely green colour, a shade which really matched the fresh and vibrant scent. But I have either forgotten that I used it up, or misplaced it. Both are totally possible options 😂

Your attachment photo looks like mashed potato:D

It actually set up very quickly. I soaped hotter than I often do, as I didn't have enough lard on hand (it needs 4kg/8lbs of lard!) so my wife picked some up, meaning the oils were just melted when I started, so still quite warm.

It's been a while since I made a soap without colouring it and I had forgotten just how lovely a soap with a high lard content can look -

View attachment 65021
Not only Beautiful but The Best Soap you can ever use! It Never Fails! Blessings!

For lard/tallow CP I found it's best to soap at 120°-135°F (49°- 57°C).
Others are free to disagree. That's just what works for me. ;) :thumbs:
I Soap between 80°- 90°F and it works for me regardless of Oils, Fats or Butters. As you stated, everyone has to find what works best for them. I’d think those temps are a little too hot for F. O. & E. O. Just my opinion. Blessings!

View attachment 65021
This looks amazing, and it would be right up my MIL's alley. Do you recall what your %ages and method were, if you don't mind sharing? And cure time/ did you gel? Thank you!!

This looks amazing, and it would be right up my MIL's alley. Do you recall what your %ages and method were, if you don't mind sharing? And cure time/ did you gel? Thank you!!

I don't mind at all!

50% lard
25% coconut
20% sunflower (high oleic)
5% castor oil

Additives as % of oil weight -

2% salt
3% sugar
5% scent (I often use lemongrass, as you do!)

I also add citric acid and extra lye to make sodium citrate which helps against hard water, but that's another discussion

I make a standard cold process, with 33% lye solution strength. Slowly heat the oils only as much as it needs, so that the lard doesn't start to smell too strong.

I usually make batches of 8kg (17.6 lb!) oils so I've not made a video of making the soap as yet. I'll make a more reasonable 1kg batch and video that at some point

I make a standard cold process, with 33% lye solution strength.
Terrific recipe! Process well described. I LUV it. :thumbs: :thumbs:
I've not made a video of making the soap as yet.
Mama said, "Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today!" :nodding:
I'll make a more reasonable 1kg batch and video that at some point
Might I suggest a 500g - 1000g batch? Ideal for Beginners and Veterans alike. Speaking just for me, 1000g batch fits my WSP 1501 mold perfectly!

Please and Thank You! 🥰

I don't mind at all!

50% lard
25% coconut
20% sunflower (high oleic)
5% castor oil

Additives as % of oil weight -

2% salt
3% sugar
5% scent (I often use lemongrass, as you do!)

I also add citric acid and extra lye to make sodium citrate which helps against hard water, but that's another discussion

I make a standard cold process, with 33% lye solution strength. Slowly heat the oils only as much as it needs, so that the lard doesn't start to smell too strong.

I usually make batches of 8kg (17.6 lb!) oils so I've not made a video of making the soap as yet. I'll make a more reasonable 1kg batch and video that at some point
Do you mind sharing how much citric acid/extra lye you add, and when? My first few batches of soap were very similar to your recipe (minus salt & sugar), except I used olive oil instead of sunflower, but the soap just ruined our wash cloths (thinking hard water, not rinsing out). Would love to try making soap again but have been hung up on adding the chelator.

Do you mind sharing how much citric acid/extra lye you add, and when? My first few batches of soap were very similar to your recipe (minus salt & sugar), except I used olive oil instead of sunflower, but the soap just ruined our wash cloths (thinking hard water, not rinsing out). Would love to try making soap again but have been hung up on adding the chelator.

I add citric acid at 2% of the oil weight, then 0.6g extra sodium hydroxide for every gram of citric acid.

So if I make a 500g batch I'll add 10g of citric acid and so an extra 6g of sodium hydroxide.

I mix the citric acid in to the water (along with my other additives) before I add the sodium hydroxide in to it. Make sure everything is well dissolved before adding the sodium hydroxide, of course

I ran into a problem last month, added my dissolved citric acid too early to my sodium dioxide and water solution - it got all crusty and I had to really work to get everything dissolved again before adding to oils. Got a marvellous reminder from @AliOop to follow @DeeAnna’s advice: add the dissolved CA to the oils before blending in the lye. Citric acid, Citrus juice | Soapy Stuff

Back